PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Bats not for sale?

jerseydave.com
07-26-2008, 11:23 PM
I heard this today, I wonder if teams will have to stop selling current bats as well?

Baseball to study bats

Experts will analyze 257 broken bats collected since July 2

Jack Curry, The New York TimesComment on this story (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1154574.html#MI_Comments_Link)
Over the last three weeks, every bat in Major League Baseball that has shattered, chipped, cracked or smashed during a game has been collected so that it can be analyzed, part of a heightened effort to deal with the safety concerns caused by the proliferation of broken bats.In addition, Major League Baseball has also enlisted some eclectic new consultants -- a wood research institute at the University of Wisconsin and a statistician at Harvard -- as it tries to develop a better understanding of why so many bats are breaking and what can be done to remedy the situation.
Since July 2, all 30 teams have been instructed to save broken bats, a span of 260 games that has produced 257 broken bats, or nearly one per game.
"This is our biggest effort to have all the clubs' bats collected," said Pat Courtney, a spokesman for Major League Baseball.
The bats are being collected by the authenticators who work for Major League Baseball and usually focus on validating instant memorabilia -- such as bats and balls -- from that day's games. Now those authenticators are noting the details of each broken-bat incident -- the player, the type of bat and the manufacturer.
After the information is placed in a database, the bats are being sent to baseball's newly appointed experts. Major League Baseball has worked out a consulting agreement with Forest Products Laboratory, an institute at the University of Wisconsin that was established nearly a century ago by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
In addition, Carl Morris, a statistician at Harvard, has also been hired to assist baseball's safety and health advisory committee in determining the significance of the compiled data.
After the safety committee met last month, it announced that it planned to consult with bat experts and bat manufacturers, conduct field and laboratory tests and gather information about protective procedures in various ballparks. It is expected that Major League Baseball's investigation will lead to stricter qualifications for companies to be approved to make bats.
The committee, which is made up of representatives from the commissioner's office, the players' union and all the teams, has also begun to visit bat manufacturers.
Courtney said Louisville Slugger, which is the leading producer of major league bats, met with representatives of the committee this week at the company's headquarters in Louisville. A questionnaire was also sent to the more than 30 manufacturers who are approved to make bats.
Sam Holman, who is the founder of Original Maple Bat Corp., has suggested that some companies could be using inferior wood, and that that could be a primary reason why more bats are faltering.

juanencarnacionfan
07-26-2008, 11:58 PM
i know some of the cardinal workers they said there not sure when there going to sell bats again they have to send them to new york

allstarsplus
07-27-2008, 07:37 AM
I heard this today, I wonder if teams will have to stop selling current bats as well?

Baseball to study bats

Experts will analyze 257 broken bats collected since July 2

The article says Since July 2, all 30 teams have been instructed to save broken bats, a span of 260 games that has produced 257 broken bats, or nearly one per game.

I think they are referring only to bats that break into 2 pieces rather than cracked bats.

cigarman44
07-27-2008, 08:49 AM
When I talked to the manager of the Cardinals team store 2 weeks ago he said MLB is taking everything. Cracked, shattered, Maple, Ash,ect. To get a full study Id think they'd have to take everthing. Also said he didn't know when or if they would get them back to sell.

Swoboda4
07-27-2008, 09:07 AM
O.K. That explains what I saw in two separate,different games . Once the bat split in two, someone quickly picked up every piece(which is unusual normally the biggest pieces)and was seen wrapping them together with white trainers tape. Same collection method two different cities.

godwulf
07-27-2008, 11:42 AM
After the study is completed, look for a new auction listing at MLB.com:

Historic 257-Bat Cracked Bat Study Collection!

Opening bid: $25,700

or...

Upper Deck's latest memorabilia insert:

Field of Study Edition

Oh, I should so work for these people. :rolleyes:

cjclong
07-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Does anyone know if they they plan to return the bats that were merely cracked to the team or players?

eGameUsed
07-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Last night at the Reds vs. Astros game, Adam Dunn cracked a bat in the 2nd Inning. The Astros batboy ran out and picked up the bat, and then handed it to a lady sitting adjacent to the Astros dugout. I saw her makes some notes about the bat and then authenticate it. Later in the games, Dunn was using a natural ash bat. I assume the one that cracked was also an ash bat. It did not shatter, but merely had a hefty handle crack.

I guess this shows that at least in Houston ALL bats are being collected. I believe the Dunn bat was the only bat cracked in the game. I will keep my eyes out for more cracked bats!

Chris78
07-29-2008, 07:56 AM
I noticed that the Phillies did not have any game used bats for sale at the stand on July 7th. For any one that has attended a game since, have the Phillies had any bats for sale?

The Phillies did have probably 6-7 game used bats at the auction last night at the Phestival, which is an annual ALS event.