PDA

View Full Version : Rick Reed/Carl Everett Cracked bat Question

DantleyHOF
07-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Hi Forum,

I have a question to the New York Mets bat expects.
I have a 1997 Rick Reed New York Mets Rawlings cracked bat. The cracked bat could of been used used bye Carl Everett New York Mets in 1997. I am not sure. Looking at several Getty pictures of Rick Reed and Carl Everett when they both played for the New York Mets. They both used Rawlings blue ring bats. Description of the bat. Plenty of pine tar, tape on the bat handle (Carl Everett uses tape handle and uses plenty of pine tar on his bats). 35 on the bat knob and bat barrel knob. The bat knob blackened out in black with number 3 in silver (Carl Everett worn Uniform #3 in 1997). Rick Reed worn uniform number 35. End of bat barrel 35 blackened out in black with 3 showing. One of Carl Everett New York Mets cards showed a blackened bat knob. Bat knob codes 599 97. R logo middle. Big Stick Rick Reed Mets. Carl Everett could of used Rick Reed bat during 1997. I think we had this discussion before. Player borrowing bats from each other. I need a photo match or someone with a Carl Everett New York Mets crack bat should work. I have included pictures of the bat. I need a picture of Carl Everett Mets bat knob to support my claim. Thanks B.F.

chicagoglen
07-24-2008, 09:53 PM
I would say this is a Carl Everett Bat. The (3) hand writing matches a 2005 bat I have of his with the White Sox (Where he wrote 8) and the tape job is a perfect match. I will post pictures. My bat is an X bat but he is known for using Rawlings Blue rings as well. They had a bunch last year at SoxFest but I was happy with the X Bat.

chicagoglen
07-24-2008, 09:58 PM
I am not at home but I looked in my photobucket and found this picture of the case I built to hold my bats while I was remodeling my office. Note the Carl Everett tape job and I can assure you the number 8 is written just like yours. Hope this helps. I will post more pictures of the knob when I get a chance.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i255/chicagoglen/IMG_1013.jpg

metsbats
07-24-2008, 10:49 PM
I have a Dennis Cook Mets bat which was used by Edguardo Alfonzo. It's a Lousiville slugger Cook bat with Alfonzo's taped handle and Cook's number 28 blacked out and 13 written next to it.

I do have a Rick Reed Rawlings 2000 NCLS bat with a taped handle but the tape job is not like the 1997 Reed you have.

It's definitely not uncommon for players to borrow other players bats including regular players borrowing pitchers bats.

-David

DantleyHOF
07-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Hi David & Chicagoglen,
Thanks for my answering my question. I have included a picture of Rick Reed bat knob. David can you send me the picture of your Rick Reed 2000 bat knob and barrel? Chicagoglenn and your Everett 8 bat knob. This should help me out. Thanks. B.F.

metsbats
07-26-2008, 01:50 PM
B.F.

Here are my two Reed bats. The black with taped handle is a 2000 NLCS bat and the blonde is a 1998 regular season gamer.

David