PDA

View Full Version : Absolutely Horrible Experience With MLB.com AUCTIONS

frikativ54
07-21-2008, 08:07 PM
So I have my Dad pick up my packages from MLB.com auctions at DHL this evening. I ordered a lineup card and four baseballs. Luckily, the baseballs came fine. I would have wished that they had put the baseballs in cases, but they were wrapped nicely nonetheless.

But I am absolutely incensed by their wrapping job on my lineup card. They didn't even put it in a soft sleeve to protect the corners. And the two pieces of cardboard they surrounded it with didn't even fit the whole lineup card. All four of the corners were bent (the top two very badly), and I don't pay $150 to have a damaged lineup card.

What do I do? I want the lineup card, but it looks disgraceful. It would have cost them $1.00 to put it in a soft-sleeve so it wasn't damaged. Now I am out the money and I don't have a display-worthy lineup card. I will think twice before I buy from MLB.com Auctions in the future.

:( :mad: :eek: :confused: :confused: :mad: :(

tigerdale
07-21-2008, 08:15 PM
I've had the same thing happen, the sad part is the people packaging the items don't see the item as we see it...to us its a treasure, to them just a job.

frikativ54
07-21-2008, 08:19 PM
I've had the same thing happen, the sad part is the people packaging the items don't see the item as we see it...to us its a treasure, to them just a job.

What did you do? It's a lineup card from Jeff Bagwell's 2,000th career hit, and I don't want to return the lineup card. Do you know if there's a way that I can recuperate my money, or at least some of it?

chakes89
07-21-2008, 08:28 PM
You should try contacting their customer service department to see if you can get some sort of coupon or discount for use on any item in the future.

dcgreg25
07-21-2008, 08:38 PM
I had a similar bad experience with MLB. The problem is that there is no customer service phone number and the people who handle the emails are terrible. I ended up disputing the charge and returning the item. Its a shame because the quality of the items is good and you can't beat the authenticity.

You may be stuck unless you want to return the item. I would suggest calling your credit card company. They are probably your best bet. Unfortunately you will probably have to send it back for them to help.

frikativ54
07-21-2008, 08:44 PM
You may be stuck unless you want to return the item. I would suggest calling your credit card company. They are probably your best bet. Unfortunately you will probably have to send it back for them to help.

The problem is that I don't want to return the item. It all could have been avoided if it were merely put into a soft-sleeve. Do you think requesting a partial refund might get me somewhere.

Dewey2007
07-21-2008, 08:45 PM
I would not let this slide by talking to any old person in customer service. They will probably just tell you that they are sorry and there is nothing they can do, etc. I would request to speak with a manager or supervisor. If you feel strongly enough about this you need to let them know the poor job they did in shipping your item and how it got damaged. Who knows you might just get some of your money back. You never know unless you try.

Is there any small print in MLB.com auctions that says they are not responsible for items damaged in shipping? I would check that out first though.

kellsox
07-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Saw this on a description for a line-up card. Looks like you either have to keep it or possibly send it back for a refund:

Conditions of Sale top (http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=95808915&prmenbr=33072944&aunbr=96155625#lptop) Items are sold in "as-is" condition. Due to the unique nature of each item, all sales are final. It is up to the discretion of MLB.com whether or not a return request will be accepted. In rare cases of shipping damages, please contact MLB.com Customer Service (http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/static/contact.d2w/report?wl=33072944) within 48 hours of delivery for return instructions.

While it sounds like this is a shipping issue, line-up cards are hung in dugouts and I have some with tack holes/tape marks and soft corners. I've seen others with tears/creases.
K

frikativ54
07-21-2008, 11:22 PM
I was asked for some pictures of the lineup card. Unfortunately for those interested in seeing the damage, it does not show up nearly as well in these scans as it does in person. Note: This lineup card is going to remain in my possession - I like it even though MLB.com didn't package it well. But here goes:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/TrashedEnvelope.jpg

Banged Up Envelope - Bent On All Four Corners

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/FullView.jpg

Lineup Card With the Bad Top Corners

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/DCloseUp1.jpg

Close-Up Upper Left Corner

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/frikativ54/DCloseUp2.jpg

Close-Up Upper Right Corner

The bottom two corners are dinged, but not nearly as bad as the top two corners. The cardboard that was supposed to protect the lineup card was a full two inches shorter than the lineup card itself.

Dewey2007
07-21-2008, 11:47 PM
I bet if you framed it it would look much better. Then the dinged corners wouldn't stand out as much. I would still contact MLB.com Auctions if I were you to voice your displeasure with the whole matter. Who knows maybe they will throw a gift certificate or something your way.

Hopefully everyone's Mother's Day bats make it through the shipping process w/o any issues.

frikativ54
07-21-2008, 11:53 PM
My letter to MLB.com Auctions:

I was very disappointed to receive my Authentic MLB.com Auctions game-used lineup card in the mail today. The lineup card measures at 16 inches tall, whereas the protective cardboard was only 14 inches tall. Since the lineup card was not completely covered, all four corners were bent in shipment. Of those, two were severely bent.

Upon my receipt of this item, I talked to others I knew who collected lineup cards. Three separate people have told me that they bought lineup cards from MLB.com Auctions that were also bent in shipment. To this I have a question: how much would it cost you to put the lineup cards in a protective sleeve like they are displayed in many an MLB stadium?

I know your workers only view this as their job, but for people like me, $150 is a lot of money, and these lineup cards are a treasured part of MLB History. The lineup card that I bought was used in my favorite baseball player's 2,000th hit game, which for us baseball fans, is a not insignificant milestone. With the damage to my lineup card, it has ruined the enjoyment value of an otherwise-treasured item. What can you do to resolve this situation?

Here are two solutions:

1) Please put all future lineup cards in protective sleeves so they are not damaged in transit.

2) Please give me at least a partial refund on my investment. I never would have paid $150 for a damaged lineup card.

Please note that I won't accept any resolution that requires me to ship the item back. I will be searching for ways to display the lineup card that minimize the visibility of the damage. I still want to enjoy this unique - albeit tarnished - piece of history.

You owe it to your own self-respect and that of your customers to provide a better experience for everyone, so that you may continue to be a leader in the game-used memorabilia industry.
Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

L.A. "Frik" Zukor

A Disappointed Customer

10thMan
07-22-2008, 01:45 AM
Frik54, I bought my G/Friend a John Lackey Retail Jersey from MLB.COM it never showed up. They gave me the "run-around" for about 5-6 Phone Calls, Finally I got upset. Being a Notary Public, I got ahold of a Supervisor & explained that a Letter was written to the BBB (better business bureau) All of a sudden, a replacement Jersey Showed up. I wont do Business with them again.

I`m feeling your pain, I`ve bought signed Rookie Cards (that took months to find) that showed up POUNDED. Why damage such a nice Item, it don`t make sense. Many Items can`t be replaced.

Sean

loumud
07-22-2008, 01:56 AM
You should try contacting their customer service department to see if you can get some sort of coupon or discount for use on any item in the future.

Frik,

I agree 100% here. First off, I would come to expect that MLB won't do anything to refund or exchange your item, but they might give you some sort of credit or discount towards future purchases. In this situation , hearing what others have said about the responsiveness of MLB reps in the past, you might want to take this towards the top, like a senior marketing VP or someone along those lines. A lot of times the customer service reps towards the lower end of the food chain are doing whatever they can to try and neutralize the situation, and a lot of times that means simply ignoring the problem in hopes of it going away. But, some of the more senior executives might take a more serious look at your compaint. You can try e-mailing, but in this case I think it warrants the age-old art of writing a stern hand-written letter about your experience and maybe including some digital photos of the damage to your item.

I hate to say it, but even though there may not be a happy ending to your situation, it might be the one that will help MLB re-think how they handle their auctions and ship items out to cutsomers. I would also think that you're not the first one to complain about their shipping practices either. In any case, you certainly have nothing to lose by vocalizing your displeasure with the auction, and, again, I would take this to the top. Not necessarily to Bud Selig, but look around and see who might be overseeing the auctions. And, better yet, try and find out who they report to...

markfd
07-22-2008, 06:01 AM
One thing that should be remembered here is that MLB Auctions sells items for a lot of different folks, there is not this giant warehouse that they ship everything out of. Teams sell directly on this site, charities on behalf of the team sell on this site, and companies licensed to sell by MLB sell directly on the website, it is rare in my experience that MLB is the actual "seller" for these items, often they are facilitators for the auction to happen.

Complaining that MLB is not helpful or responsive or has sent you damaged goods is akin to complaining to eBay about them shipping an item to you when in reality the seller on eBay's platform has shipped the item to you. Both MLB and eBay can only do so much.

For example the items I have purchased on MLB recently come from directly from the Mets, Locker Room Memorabilia, MLB Advanced Media, Steiner, and All Star Lineup. My point is that NONE of those items came from an MLB warehouse they were simply sold on MLB.com.

platinum1
07-22-2008, 10:20 AM
One thing that should be remembered here is that MLB Auctions sells items for a lot of different folks, there is not this giant warehouse that they ship everything out of. Teams sell directly on this site, charities on behalf of the team sell on this site, and companies licensed to sell by MLB sell directly on the website, it is rare in my experience that MLB is the actual "seller" for these items, often they are facilitators for the auction to happen.

Complaining that MLB is not helpful or responsive or has sent you damaged goods is akin to complaining to eBay about them shipping an item to you when in reality the seller on eBay's platform has shipped the item to you. Both MLB and eBay can only do so much.

For example the items I have purchased on MLB recently come from directly from the Mets, Locker Room Memorabilia, MLB Advanced Media, Steiner, and All Star Lineup. My point is that NONE of those items came from an MLB warehouse they were simply sold on MLB.com.
Yes your right I would contact the Astos about this problem. They might be able to help you out better

cards-bats
07-22-2008, 10:59 AM
You may want to place the corners of your lineup card between to heavier sheets of paper and then get your iron out & iron them flat. You don't want to get it too hot, but I think that may work for you. I know that people do that with paper currency collections.

sylbry
07-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Two words, matted frame.

Won't fix the problem but might be able to cover most of it up.

camarokids
07-22-2008, 11:38 AM
You may want to place the corners of your lineup card between to heavier sheets of paper and then get your iron out & iron them flat. You don't want to get it too hot, but I think that may work for you. I know that people do that with paper currency collections.

Yes , the infamous paper doctors can be quite deceptive with their work.

They can make an extra fine note look damn near un-circulated.

Back to the line up card , the corners could have already had some damage?

I have a large line up card from 2005 and the corners are kind of beat up.

godwulf
07-22-2008, 12:34 PM
A couple of years ago, I won the auction for Bob Welch's locker tag from the World Baseball Classic - he was the pitching coach for the Dutch team. It is about 12" x 3", and it was simply tossed into a large manilla envelope, with no attempt at packaging whatsoever aside from that, and of course it arrived with a big crease in it. An email to Customer Service at MLB resulted in exactly nothing.

I guess I should consider myself lucky that they didn't just scrawl my name and address on the back of the tag and put a stamp on it.

The problem with a lot of these things is that they're one of a kind items and we don't want to send them back, even if they're a little more "as is" when we get them than they started out to be. Until such time (and I honestly don't see this happening) as we begin to bite the bullet, as collectors, and start demanding refunds from MLB on items that are clearly damaged, not from being "game-used", but from being "shipper careless", they're going to continue to do things on the cheap and blow off the odd complaint as the whining of a few "condition freaks".

tigerdale
07-22-2008, 12:41 PM
I guess the only saving grace is we are buying game used items, so they're not perfect anyways....many lineups have tears, tape rips, bends from just hanging & being removed from the dugout...we just wish the abuse would come from the game, not the shipping.

orioles03
07-22-2008, 03:05 PM
most line up cards after the game are just thrown around trust me .i have seen visiting coaches at orioles game just rip them off the board and throw them in the bat room some before the game are not in good shape .i had thrown away so many lineup cards when i was bat boy they had foot prints on them many coaches just tape them to a wall. they dont care as long as they do there job they are just another piece of cardboard. i threw away mlb auth line up cards after games

tigerdale
07-22-2008, 03:33 PM
most line up cards after the game are just thrown around trust me .i have seen visiting coaches at orioles game just rip them off the board and throw them in the bat room some before the game are not in good shape .i had thrown away so many lineup cards when i was bat boy they had foot prints on them many coaches just tape them to a wall. they dont care as long as they do there job they are just another piece of cardboard. i threw away mlb auth line up cards after games
do most of the small ones exchanged w/ umpires get thrown away? I never see them for sale???

orioles03
07-22-2008, 03:43 PM
when they were left on the bench i would usually give them to a hot girl or a girl i was trying to get there number you dont realize how many times that worked

orioles03
07-22-2008, 03:47 PM
do most of the small ones exchanged w/ umpires get thrown away? I never see them for sale???
no if the coaches did not take them i would usually give them to the ushers who come on the field after the game and he would give them to a kid. i did give some stuff to matt stover one game a bat and ball and he sent me a pair of cleats

tigerdale
07-22-2008, 04:08 PM
no if the coaches did not take them i would usually give them to the ushers who come on the field after the game and he would give them to a kid. i did give some stuff to matt stover one game a bat and ball and he sent me a pair of cleats
do you have any old small ones of the tigers?

orioles03
07-22-2008, 04:11 PM
i never kept any sorry

frikativ54
07-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Two words, matted frame.

Won't fix the problem but might be able to cover most of it up.

I just got a frame at my local frame shop, and it does wonders. Now the damage is difficult to see. Thus, I can finally enjoy the lineup card without viewing the fruits of the crappy shipping job. But I am not going to stop complaining about my experience, because I believe that something has to change with MLB.com Auctions.

I ended up calling the Mariners' team shop, and they felt badly about what happened. They are going to get back to me with someone to contact. Hopefully by complaining to a team shop with actual customer service people, I will make some headway. There ought to be policy changes with MLB.com Auctions.

frikativ54
07-22-2008, 05:18 PM
when they were left on the bench i would usually give them to a hot girl or a girl i was trying to get there number you dont realize how many times that worked

Well, I am actually overweight from a medicine I have to take, and I am hardly hot. So - no wonder I'm not getting lineup cards after games. I get the impression that if you're not a supermodel or a young kid that people aren't willing to do you any favors at MLB stadiums. It's a shame that many people put looks ahead of love of baseball.

orioles03
07-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Well, I am actually overweight from a medicine I have to take, and I am hardly hot. So - no wonder I'm not getting lineup cards after games. I get the impression that if you're not a supermodel or a young kid that people aren't willing to do you any favors at MLB stadiums. It's a shame that many people put looks ahead of love of baseball.
i was 17 what would you do?if you have a hot girl asking for a baseball of course you are going to give it to her. i'm not stupid

orioles03
07-22-2008, 09:35 PM
sorry to go off topic but what do you think the players who are not playing do during games ?they are scouting the stands .one night i made $300 for just getting #'s for visiting players.job did have some perks:)

frikativ54
07-22-2008, 09:56 PM
i was 17 what would you do?if you have a hot girl asking for a baseball of course you are going to give it to her. i'm not stupid

Well, if you scouted using a slightly different criteria, you would find the divorce rate go way down among athletes. Not only that, as a game-used memorabilia collector, you might be happier when that not-so-pretty girl actually enjoys your game-used memorabilia hobby. I always love when people complain about how their significant other can't stand their hobby, when the very same people choose to marry the stereotypical hot model type whose only interest is the latest fashion catalogue. Who's the one who is stupid now?

I don't know if you realize it, but those heavier girls do have feelings. And as someone who is not skinny, I notice when baseball players won't toss a ball up to me because of the way I look. I just had that happen to me this Friday evening. And it really hurts. I watch 90% of the Astros' games, I know baseball inside-and-out, yet I have a medical condition that needs to be treated with medicine that causes obesity. I also have another medical condition, made worse by the first medicine, that causes my face to break out and me to be even heavier. Why can't a true fan like me get equal respect at ballgames, and actually walk away with a souvenir?

sylbry
07-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Well, if you scouted using a slightly different criteria, you would find the divorce rate go way down among athletes. Not only that, as a game-used memorabilia collector, you might be happier when that not-so-pretty girl actually enjoys your game-used memorabilia hobby. I always love when people complain about how their significant other can't stand their hobby, when the very same people choose to marry the stereotypical hot model type whose only interest is the latest fashion catalogue. Who's the one who is stupid now?

I don't know if you realize it, but those heavier girls do have feelings. And as someone who is not skinny, I notice when baseball players won't toss a ball up to me because of the way I look. I just had that happen to me this Friday evening. And it really hurts. I watch 90% of the Astros' games, I know baseball inside-and-out, yet I have a medical condition that needs to be treated with medicine that causes obesity. I also have another medical condition, made worse by the first medicine, that causes my face to break out and me to be even heavier. Why can't a true fan like me get equal respect at ballgames, and actually walk away with a souvenir?

What on earth does this post have to do with MLB.com auctions?

FYI - It is ok to keep personal information to yourself.

frikativ54
07-23-2008, 01:47 PM
What on earth does this post have to do with MLB.com auctions?

FYI - It is ok to keep personal information to yourself.

It has everything to do with the previous poster's comments. I needn't keep personal information to myself when it illustrates a larger point; there is a societal assumption that overweight people are that way because they choose to be so. This is hardly the case. When it comes to discrimination at MLB ballparks, I think that my personal experiences are relevant. The whole point is this, in case it wasn't clear to you before: It is frustrating to go to an MLB stadium trying to get a lineup card (or any other game-used item) when you are passed up just because of the way you look. This thread is about lineup cards, and my story is fully relevant to this topic.

trsent
07-23-2008, 01:49 PM
It has everything to do with the previous poster's comments. I needn't keep personal information to myself when it illustrates a larger point; there is a societal assumption that overweight people are that way because they choose to be so. This is hardly the case. When it comes to discrimination at MLB ballparks, I think that my personal experiences are relevant. The whole point is this, in case it wasn't clear to you before: It is frustrating to go to an MLB stadium trying to get a lineup card (or any other game-used item) when you are passed up just because of the way you look. This thread is about lineup cards, and my story is fully relevant to this topic.

So, you should write each and every major league baseball club about this discrimination stating that the players, managers, clubhouse attendants, etc. are all more inclined to give a line-up card to a pretty girl than to someone who is not a pretty girl.

Maybe it will change all the prejudice in the world.

frikativ54
07-23-2008, 01:52 PM
So, you should write each and every major league baseball club about this discrimination stating that the players, managers, clubhouse attendants, etc. are all more inclined to give a line-up card to a pretty girl than to someone who is not a pretty girl.

Maybe it will change all the prejudice in the world.

Are you being sarcastic? Seems like it, because I honestly don't think that it would do a thing. Discrimination against heavier and less pretty women is ingrained in our culture, and I don't see anything in the future changing this.

platinum1
07-23-2008, 02:08 PM
I think is time to close this thread ASAP

frikativ54
07-23-2008, 02:10 PM
I think is time to close this thread ASAP

Why - because somebody is actually speaking up for women's rights, while the men on the board are acting with the usual silence of the privileged sex?

bigtruck260
07-23-2008, 02:38 PM
No Frik -

This thread should stop because you made your point about MLB auctions, and got the advice you needed. Most of us here know you are a passionate collector...

But the stuff about discrimination, etc. should be discussed in a different forum. You have the ability to ignore what others post.

camarokids
07-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Frik has a valid point on several fronts.

All the little girls growing up nowadays are brainwashed from a very young age about how they should look and what to wear and so on.

orioles03
07-23-2008, 02:49 PM
No Frik -

This thread should stop because you made your point about MLB auctions, and got the advice you needed. Most of us here know you are a passionate collector...

But the stuff about discrimination, etc. should be discussed in a different forum. You have the ability to ignore what others post.
i agree it should be stoped .i was just asked a question about what happens to the small lineup cards after the game i gave him an honest answer .i started when i was 16 being a bat boy i was a teenager young a stupid .i dont think i said anything wrong i just did what was normal anyone would do the same thing. again i not sure how this got so carried away i was just answering a question .sorry if you took offense to my previous post
pat
orioles03@verizon.net

platinum1
07-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Why - because somebody is actually speaking up for women's rights, while the men on the board are acting with the usual silence of the privileged sex?
You have the right speak your mind about anything you want but this is not the forum to do it.But I can relate with you about players discriminating against people of color or the way they look. I have had this happend to me many many times when a White player just tells me he wont sign for me but signs multiples for the White guys around me . I just look at it ths way he's the ignorant one not me and continue to have a good time collecting autographs.

godwulf
07-23-2008, 04:00 PM
I was in a line to see Scott Hairston, when he played for the Diamondbacks, and the 20-ish, somewhat anorexic blond girl immediately ahead of me had Hairston signing a pair of very brief, purple DBacks thong underwear, and then having (what appeared to be) her mother take a photo of her, him, and the underwear.

As they were walking away, and Hairston was still shaking his head over the whole thing, I said, "Don't worry, Scotty...I'm not gonna ask you to sign my underwear." He laughed and said, I'm glad, 'cause I'm afraid I'd have to say no."

Ya see, us middle-aged White guys know the pain of rejection, too.

ham1963
07-23-2008, 04:28 PM
I normally do not waste my time and comment on these types of threads but I do take a point in statement that you frikativ54 made "I just had that happen to me this Friday evening. And it really hurts. I watch 90% of the Astros' games, I know baseball inside-and-out, yet I have a medical condition that needs to be treated with medicine that causes obesity. I also have another medical condition, made worse by the first medicine, that causes my face to break out and me to be even heavier. Why can't a true fan like me get equal respect at ballgames, and actually walk away with a souvenir?"
Most of the ballgames that I have been to Reds, Braves, Royals and Louisville Bats I seen players toss balls to little KIDS. I have seen games where adults have knocked kids out of the way just to get a baseball that was for that kid.

sylbry
07-23-2008, 05:06 PM
I seen players toss balls to little KIDS. I have seen games where adults have knocked kids out of the way just to get a baseball that was for that kid.

Frik has previously stated he caught a ball that was meant for a kid and kept it.

So your positive you don't get balls or other items because of your looks and weight? You sure it isn't due to your age?

I smell a sense of entitlement with a hint of victimization.

frikativ54
07-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Frik has previously stated he caught a ball that was meant for a kid and kept it.

So your positive you don't get balls or other items because of your looks and weight? You sure it isn't due to your age?

I smell a sense of entitlement with a hint of victimization.

Yes, I agree with you now, this thread should probably die a natural death, since we're finished talking about MLB.com Auctions. But before that, I would like to say that when I was 18, I did a lot of things that I would not do now. When I got the ball, that was back in 2003. It was probably intended for the kid in front of me, but it's not like I grabbed it out of his hands. Nonetheless, I have learned a lot since then, and I don't do anything like that now. You guys have made me realize that I was being selfish. So - I hope you know that's not a regular habit of mine.

That sucks to hear how racist some athletes still are. I thought we had gotten beyond that...:(

platinum1
07-23-2008, 10:34 PM
That sucks to hear how racist some athletes still are. I thought we had gotten beyond that...:(
Trust me worst ones are the old timers that are bench coaches now.

frikativ54
07-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Trust me worst ones are the old timers that are bench coaches now.

Wow - Do they say racial slurs, or just ignore you? I'd think that a lot of the young ones would be nicer, though. But I come from a tolerant place, so I was surprised when I met some people at my first college that had bigoted views towards blacks and Jews. I sure hope that they treat you better, as the old-timers retire.

treant985
07-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Back to the OP about dealing with mlb.com--one person mentioned sending a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. I heartily recommend this course for your bent line-up card. I've used it to deal with several companies that sent me dysfunctional equipment or incorrect bills and then gave me the run-around. In pretty much every case, a simple complaint to the BBB website (it might take 10-15 min to fill everything out but it's worth it) got it resolved quickly and very satisfactorily. I believe that the BBB sends a letter to the company saying they've received a complaint, so it's something that gets forwarded to the people at the company who actually know what they're doing.

If nothing else, it might make it more likely that mlb.com will send lineups in better-protected coverings in the future.

frikativ54
07-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Back to the OP about dealing with mlb.com--one person mentioned sending a complaint to the Better Business Bureau. I heartily recommend this course for your bent line-up card. I've used it to deal with several companies that sent me dysfunctional equipment or incorrect bills and then gave me the run-around. In pretty much every case, a simple complaint to the BBB website (it might take 10-15 min to fill everything out but it's worth it) got it resolved quickly and very satisfactorily. I believe that the BBB sends a letter to the company saying they've received a complaint, so it's something that gets forwarded to the people at the company who actually know what they're doing.

If nothing else, it might make it more likely that mlb.com will send lineups in better-protected coverings in the future.

I am going to call the Mariners back tomorrow and follow up; they told me they'd help, but then the Red Sox series came (and luckily went). If I go the BBB route, is there any obligation for me to send the lineup card back? It is in my possession, and I am keeping it. I just want MLB practices to change, regarding how they package lineup, and at least a partial refund for my damaged goods.

chakes89
07-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Here are my thoughts on your situation for what it's worth (if anyone cares):

You got something from a game your favorite player accomplished something very special in. You should be happy and grateful you were able to get something so nice, instead of complaining about a very small issue.

You should just be lucky the lineup card survived the game and wasn't thrown away.

Come on, it's not like they tore it in half, set it on fire and sent you the ashes.

It just had some slightly bent corners that are not even noticable when framed.

frikativ54
07-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Here are my thoughts on your situation for what it's worth (if anyone cares):

You got something from a game your favorite player accomplished something very special in. You should be happy and grateful you were able to get something so nice, instead of complaining about a very small issue.

You should just be lucky the lineup card survived the game and wasn't thrown away.

Come on, it's not like they tore it in half, set it on fire and sent you the ashes.

It just had some slightly bent corners that are not even noticable when framed.

I am grateful that I got stuff from Bagwell's 2,000th hit game. But MLB.com Auctions should take the same care that they did with the baseballs that I ordered as they did with the lineup card. And the corners were more than just slightly bent; it's hard to capture bent corners by means of a digital photograph.

If this were eBay and a seller damaged a 1/1 card because of a poor packing job, they would offer a partial refund. I've had this happen to me, and the card had a lot less damage than does the lineup card. Plus, two other people on this forum had similar issues. I hope to apply pressure on MLB.com Auctions, so they clean up their act.

I did follow up with the Seattle Mariners, and they forwarded me to MLB's office in San Francisco. The CA office told me that I needed to talk with their billing department tomorrow morning; I will definitely keep pressing with this case, until everything is resolved to my satisfaction. MLB.com Auctions ought to be accountable to the customer, and that is the bottom line.

Does anybody know of an MLB number where someone has had success complaining about MLB.com Auctions?

If I don't succeed tomorrow, I might have to go the BBB route.

maccamania
07-24-2008, 08:21 PM
I ordered a game used red sox ball on 6/26, never received yet & customer service gives me the standard need more time garbage...looks like I am going to have my cc company fight this one for me.....

frikativ54
07-26-2008, 02:41 AM
I ordered a game used red sox ball on 6/26, never received yet & customer service gives me the standard need more time garbage...looks like I am going to have my cc company fight this one for me.....

That really sucks. As for my situation, after talking with MLB.com, they wrote the auctions site, and that was the only way I got a response. Here is what they said. Note - there was absolutely no offer of a partial refund. What do you guys think I should do? I love how they didn't even personally address it to me. Here's the letter:

Dear Fan,
Thanks for your email.
We apologize for the condition of your lineup card when it was received and we will will be sure to pack them differently in the future to make sure that they are better protected.
Thanks for taking the time to write!
Regards,
MLB.com Auctions

markfd
07-26-2008, 10:17 AM
MLB auctions does not have a refund policy is states all sales final. Your lineup card looks nice in the frame, forget about it. If you do not like the way MLB auctions treated you then do not use them.

BaseballGM
07-26-2008, 10:36 AM
I recently won a line-up card and it was sent in a large sturdy UPS box. It has a tiny rip on the bottom of it but I'm pretty sure that happened when taking it down from the dugout. But, the way it was shipped protected it pretty well IMO.

sylbry
07-26-2008, 11:36 AM
"Items are sold in "as-is" condition. Due to the unique nature of each item, all sales are final. It is up to the discretion of MLB.com whether or not a return request will be accepted. In rare cases of shipping damages, please contact MLB.com Customer Service (http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/static/contact.d2w/report?wl=33072944) within 48 hours of delivery for return instructions."

These are the terms you agreed to when purchasing the product. No where does it state a partial refund may be given. MLB.com has acted in good faith by offering a refund which you declined. I suggest you stop being unreasonable unless you want MLB to axe your account.

joelsabi
07-26-2008, 11:45 AM
i bought a lineup card from mlb.com and the vender was steiner. the seem to be extra protection from being shipped in an envelop and a box. some of the vender maybe dont have the experience as steiner. i wonder if there is a way you can give the vender specific handling/shipping instruction as you can on ebay prior to bidding. that may be the solution. is there such a mechanism?

frikativ54
07-26-2008, 05:32 PM
"Items are sold in "as-is" condition. Due to the unique nature of each item, all sales are final. It is up to the discretion of MLB.com whether or not a return request will be accepted. In rare cases of shipping damages, please contact MLB.com Customer Service (http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/static/contact.d2w/report?wl=33072944) within 48 hours of delivery for return instructions."

These are the terms you agreed to when purchasing the product. No where does it state a partial refund may be given. MLB.com has acted in good faith by offering a refund which you declined. I suggest you stop being unreasonable unless you want MLB to axe your account.

I don't think asking that MLB.com Auctions ship my item with the utmost care is unreasonable. Nor is a partial refund asking too much. However, I will take them at face value that they will change their practices. It would be ridiculous for them to axe my account, as they would be losing out on dollars. And money rules the world. So long as I am a potential customer, I don't think they would axe my account. It's not like I used profanity and told them where to stick it in my email. You know there's a problem in the world when people think that mere customer service is asking too much. This could have been resolved in 15 minutes if MLB.com Auctions simply had a phone number I could call.

frikativ54
07-26-2008, 05:35 PM
i wonder if there is a way you can give the vender specific handling/shipping instruction as you can on ebay prior to bidding. that may be the solution. is there such a mechanism?

Next time I order something off of MLB.com Auctions, I will give them specific shipping instructions. I wouldn't stop using a certain place because of one bad experience. If they clean-up their act, then I have no problems doing business with them again. After all, they did pack my baseballs well, and they have some unique stuff on their website.

frikativ54
07-31-2008, 12:24 AM
Update:

After the Mariners team shop followed up with MLB.com, and after I wrote another disgruntled letter, I finally got some resolution on the lineup card matter in the form of a $50 partial refund on the $150 purchase. Plus, they are going to look into their customer service practices. So - I think that all's well on that front. I only wish that they had a phone number for quick resolution of customer service issues.

However, when reviewing my credit card statement last night, I found that they had charged me $40 ($10 per baseball) to ship four baseballs, and then shipped them all in the same package. Surely, that kind of practice isn't fair. Part of me would like some of the shipping money back, but part of me just doesn't want to deal with their customer service any more. I'll probably handle that tomorrow morning. Anyway, below is their letter.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear "Frik",

Thank you for your e-mail and again we are very sorry for the condition of the lineup card and will make every effort to ship these with better protection in the future. I have refunded your credit card $50 to help adjust the price based on the damage you reported. I hope this satisfies you on this front, but we will also look into our customer service records to try to improve the experience you have had trying to address this issue.

Thank you for your understanding,

Sally Tansill
MLB.com Auctions

richpick
08-08-2008, 05:57 PM
I won a Clayton Kershaw game used ball from his 1st ML win game for $75. It arrived in a DHL pouch with just the ball dropped in with a packing slip and I paid $10 for shipping. Man, for the money MLB has and are now making of the memoribilia you would think they would package these one of a kind items a little better.

Richpick

frikativ54
08-08-2008, 06:47 PM
I won a Clayton Kershaw game used ball from his 1st ML win game for $75. It arrived in a DHL pouch with just the ball dropped in with a packing slip and I paid $10 for shipping. Man, for the money MLB has and are now making of the memoribilia you would think they would package these one of a kind items a little better.

Richpick

Rich,

That really sucks. I saw the Clayton Kershaw ball on the site, and I had my eye on it. Too bad I don't have more money. As far as what to do, contact Sally Tansill of MLB.com Auctions; she is the only person who has done anything for me with regards to their horrible customer service.

Here is Tansill's email: Sally.Tansill@mlb.com. My Bagwell 2,000th hit game baseballs were packed well, but only because they charged me $40 shipping. I luckily was able to get a $15 refund on the overcharge. One thing I'd recommend is to specifically state what you are looking for, whether it is a partial refund or to send the item back.

Was the ball damaged, or just poorly packed?

Good luck!

-Frik

richpick
08-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Rich,

That really sucks. I saw the Clayton Kershaw ball on the site, and I had my eye on it. Too bad I don't have more money. As far as what to do, contact Sally Tansill of MLB.com Auctions; she is the only person who has done anything for me with regards to their horrible customer service.

Here is Tansill's email: Sally.Tansill@mlb.com. My Bagwell 2,000th hit game baseballs were packed well, but only because they charged me $40 shipping. I luckily was able to get a $15 refund on the overcharge. One thing I'd recommend is to specifically state what you are looking for, whether it is a partial refund or to send the item back.

Was the ball damaged, or just poorly packed?

Good luck!

-Frik

The ball was not damaged but the way it was packaged I am surprised it was not damaged. I just think they should use more common sense when they package items

richpick