PDA

View Full Version : Cal Ripken Game Worn Jersey on Ebay???

mr.miracle
07-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Hello Forum Readers:

Attached is a current ebay listing for what is reportedly a game worn 1988 Cal Ripken Jr. jersey. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=330254843675&Category=60597

There are a number of questions asked already about the jersey and the seller apparently knows very little or is at least coming across that way. My question is, I have attached pictures of an authentic game worn 1988 road Ripken with the EBW jersey memorial lettering. If you look at the ebay jersey it looks like the exterior Rawlings tag has either been removed or was never on the outside in the first place. The Road 88 Ripken clearly has the Rawlings tag on the outside of the jersey as you will also note it also has the 2 inch extra length tag that is a prominent part of Cal's uniforms. The jersey in the auction is missing this extra tag. The Jersey in the ebay auction appears to have the tag stiched on the inside in reverse of where it would normally appear. I have not seen this with any authentic Ripken jersey before. It seems to me that this could have been a doctored jersey as a result although it does not appear from the pics in the auction that the nameplate has been altered in any way. I am wondering if this was either a retail jersey since 88 is the first year I believe that these became available and someone altered the tagging to make it look like a Ripken game worn/issued or perhaps there is some other explanation that I am missing.

The seller says it has game wear but the jersey looks untouched from the photos as I cannot see any visible wear and there is no puckering around the tagging unlike the 88 road Ripken that has visible fraying around the numbers and nameplate and puckering around the tagging.

Any feedback would be appreciate.

Thanks

. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)
http://bl130w.blu130.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=e2bbbbaf-46f7-4697-8cb8-cbadb9cd5b1c&Aux=44|0|8CA55F4C9278E90|
http://gfx2.hotmail.com/mail/w3/pr01/ltr/magnify.gifRIPKEN 1988 001.jpg (javascript:;)
http://bl130w.blu130.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=1&messageId=e2bbbbaf-46f7-4697-8cb8-cbadb9cd5b1c&Aux=44|0|8CA55F4C9278E90|
http://gfx2.hotmail.com/mail/w3/pr01/ltr/magnify.gifRIPKEN 1988 002.jpg (javascript:;)
http://bl130w.blu130.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=2&messageId=e2bbbbaf-46f7-4697-8cb8-cbadb9cd5b1c&Aux=44|0|8CA55F4C9278E90|
http://gfx2.hotmail.com/mail/w3/pr01/ltr/magnify.gifRIPKEN 1988 003.jpg (javascript:;)
http://bl130w.blu130.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=3&messageId=e2bbbbaf-46f7-4697-8cb8-cbadb9cd5b1c&Aux=44|0|8CA55F4C9278E90|
http://gfx2.hotmail.com/mail/w3/pr01/ltr/magnify.gifRIPKEN 1988 004.jpg (javascript:;)
http://bl130w.blu130.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=4&messageId=e2bbbbaf-46f7-4697-8cb8-cbadb9cd5b1c&Aux=44|0|8CA55F4C9278E90| (javascript:;)

beantown
07-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Brett,

As the seller of this jersey, I find this posting to be ignorant and a violation of forum rule #16, as you have not contacted me regarding your concerns...

"There are a number of questions asked already about the jersey and the seller apparently knows very little or is at least coming across that way"

-Not one individual has asked a question about this jersey, I created the Q&A response as part of my original auction listing....are you are kidding me with this statement?

"My question is, I have attached pictures of an authentic game worn 1988 road Ripken with the EBW jersey memorial lettering. If you look at the ebay jersey it looks like the exterior Rawlings tag has either been removed or was never on the outside in the first place. The Road 88 Ripken clearly has the Rawlings tag on the outside of the jersey as you will also note it also has the 2 inch extra length tag that is a prominent part of Cal's uniforms. The jersey in the auction is missing this extra tag. The Jersey in the ebay auction appears to have the tag stiched on the inside in reverse of where it would normally appear. I have not seen this with any authentic Ripken jersey before. It seems to me that this could have been a doctored jersey as a result although it does not appear from the pics in the auction that the nameplate has been altered in any way"

-I CLEARLY state in the auction listing that the tagging appears to be all original, yet you think it was removed from the outside and sewn in the inside? A little research and you would have seen 1988 MLB gamers with tagging on the inside as well on the outside of the jersey. Moreover, you are going to use one Ripken Jr. exemplar and base your conclusions off that one jersey? What information/documentation do you have to
substantiate that this '88 Road Ripken you are referring to is 100% game used by Ripken? I don't know the variations of tail tagging that were used on '88 Ripken gamers, if any, and for you to comment specifically on what it should or should not be is pure speculation on your behalf.

"The seller says it has game wear but the jersey looks untouched from the photos as I cannot see any visible wear and there is no puckering around the tagging unlike the 88 road Ripken that has visible fraying around the numbers and nameplate and puckering around the tagging"

- I stated the jersey shows wear, but I don't know whether that is true game wear or wear and tear on a jersey that may or may have not been mishandled over the last 20 years . Again, you are basing your conclsusions on one Ripken Jr. exemplar, so EVERY Ripken should show the same wear?

I have done my best to accuratley describe this jersey as I simply don't know whether or not it was worn by Ripken in 1988....it's disturbing to have someone like you makes comments/statements that are untrue and unfounded...next time, please ask questions directly to me, before you go public...I will do my best to address them....

-Chris

mr.miracle
07-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Brett,

As the seller of this jersey, I find this posting to be ignorant and a violation of forum rule #16, as you have not contacted me regarding your concerns...

"There are a number of questions asked already about the jersey and the seller apparently knows very little or is at least coming across that way"

-Not one individual has asked a question about this jersey, I created the Q&A response as part of my original auction listing....are you are kidding me with this statement?

"My question is, I have attached pictures of an authentic game worn 1988 road Ripken with the EBW jersey memorial lettering. If you look at the ebay jersey it looks like the exterior Rawlings tag has either been removed or was never on the outside in the first place. The Road 88 Ripken clearly has the Rawlings tag on the outside of the jersey as you will also note it also has the 2 inch extra length tag that is a prominent part of Cal's uniforms. The jersey in the auction is missing this extra tag. The Jersey in the ebay auction appears to have the tag stiched on the inside in reverse of where it would normally appear. I have not seen this with any authentic Ripken jersey before. It seems to me that this could have been a doctored jersey as a result although it does not appear from the pics in the auction that the nameplate has been altered in any way"

-I CLEARLY state in the auction listing that the tagging appears to be all original, yet you think it was removed from the outside and sewn in the inside? A little research and you would have seen 1988 MLB gamers with tagging on the inside as well on the outside of the jersey. Moreover, you are going to use one Ripken Jr. exemplar and base your conclusions off that one jersey? What information/documentation do you have to
substantiate that this '88 Road Ripken you are referring to is 100% game used by Ripken? I don't know the variations of tail tagging that were used on '88 Ripken gamers, if any, and for you to comment specifically on what it should or should not be is pure speculation on your behalf.

"The seller says it has game wear but the jersey looks untouched from the photos as I cannot see any visible wear and there is no puckering around the tagging unlike the 88 road Ripken that has visible fraying around the numbers and nameplate and puckering around the tagging"

- I stated the jersey shows wear, but I don't know whether that is true game wear or wear and tear on a jersey that may or may have not been mishandled over the last 20 years . Again, you are basing your conclsusions on one Ripken Jr. exemplar, so EVERY Ripken should show the same wear?

I have done my best to accuratley describe this jersey as I simply don't know whether or not it was worn by Ripken in 1988....it's disturbing to have someone like you makes comments/statements that are untrue and unfounded...next time, please ask questions directly to me, before you go public...I will do my best to address them....

-Chris

Hello Chris:

I did not contact you because the listing seemed to indicate that there was no additional information available regarding the jersey's background and or to answer any questions that I might have about the jersey. The jersey I have shown pictures of comes from my personal data base of Ripken photos and happens to be a Ripken that was sold by another forum member several months ago. It was examined by Dave Bushing and Troy Kinnunen at SCD and graded an 8. In my opinion is it solid so that is why I used it as a reference point. There are many knowledgable Ripken collectors on this forum I was seeking their opinion on it. I am stating a fact that I have never seen tagging like this on another Ripken jersey and I have been collecting and logging photos of Ripken game used items for 20 plus years.

As for the Q & A section, it appeared to be one between a seller and potential buyers that I have utilized myself on ebay on more than one occassion. My apologies for mistaking this with one that you created on your very own. I am not sure exactly what I would have asked you the seller or any seller for that matter that would have provided info. to me. Am I to assume that a potential seller who lists in their own auction that they don't have any additional information on the jersey in terms of background, LOA's, How it was obtained, when it was obtained etc. to provide additional photos of known Ripken exemplars and expect them to provide them??? Most Ripken jersey's have at this stage had the 2 inch extra length tagging in the jersey. Yours is missing so this is an obvious question that I would raise.

I would base my example on other Ripken's if they are available. I am not familiar with any additional Ripken's from the 1988 year. As you may or may not know, authentic Ripken jersey's are about as common as Martians on the white house lawn. It is my opinion that the road Ripken I referenced is authentic as is apparent based on the research from Dave Bushing and Troy Kinnunen. My guess would be that most jersey's from that same year would be similar.

I was asking for additional feedback on the jersey as it was brought to my attention off of the forum. I apologize if my post angered you in some way as I am not sure why that would be however as I said, I have never seen a Ripken with the interior tagging that does not mean that jersey's were not made in that style for other players.

I do not believe that I violated rule 1782 subsection 85 page 428 on this or any forum because you stated clearly that this was the information that you had avialable. Again, I am not going to contact the seller of this auction or any auction and ask them to provide photographic exemplars of other period or same year jersey's for comparrison sake which is what I am specifically after here. If I had any specific questions related to this jersey or any auction for that matter that the seller could answer I certainly would ask them as I do numerous times. In this case there were none so I did not ask.

Thanks

ironmanfan
07-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Hello Forum Readers:

Attached is a current ebay listing for what is reportedly a game worn 1988 Cal Ripken Jr. jersey. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=330254843675&Category=60597

There are a number of questions asked already about the jersey and the seller apparently knows very little or is at least coming across that way. My question is, I have attached pictures of an authentic game worn 1988 road Ripken with the EBW jersey memorial lettering. If you look at the ebay jersey it looks like the exterior Rawlings tag has either been removed or was never on the outside in the first place. The Road 88 Ripken clearly has the Rawlings tag on the outside of the jersey as you will also note it also has the 2 inch extra length tag that is a prominent part of Cal's uniforms.
http://bl130w.blu130.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=4&messageId=e2bbbbaf-46f7-4697-8cb8-cbadb9cd5b1c&Aux=44|0|8CA55F4C9278E90| (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

While I can't offer my opinion as to this items authenticity (or lack thereof) without a physical inspection, I do want to offer that I own 5 1988 Oriole Game worn jerseys ( Cal Jr.-Road; Billy -Home/Road; Cal Sr.-Home & Orsulak-Road) and all have INTERIOR tagging similar to the offerred jersey.

ChrisCavalier
07-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Hello Chris:

I did not contact you because the listing seemed to indicate that there was no additional information available regarding the jersey's background and or to answer any questions that I might have about the jersey. The jersey I have shown pictures of comes from my personal data base of Ripken photos and happens to be a Ripken that was sold by another forum member several months ago. It was examined by Dave Bushing and Troy Kinnunen at SCD and graded an 8. In my opinion is it solid so that is why I used it as a reference point. There are many knowledgable Ripken collectors on this forum I was seeking their opinion on it. I am stating a fact that I have never seen tagging like this on another Ripken jersey and I have been collecting and logging photos of Ripken game used items for 20 plus years.

As for the Q & A section, it appeared to be one between a seller and potential buyers that I have utilized myself on ebay on more than one occassion. My apologies for mistaking this with one that you created on your very own. I am not sure exactly what I would have asked you the seller or any seller for that matter that would have provided info. to me. Am I to assume that a potential seller who lists in their own auction that they don't have any additional information on the jersey in terms of background, LOA's, How it was obtained, when it was obtained etc. to provide additional photos of known Ripken exemplars and expect them to provide them??? Most Ripken jersey's have at this stage had the 2 inch extra length tagging in the jersey. Yours is missing so this is an obvious question that I would raise.

I would base my example on other Ripken's if they are available. I am not familiar with any additional Ripken's from the 1988 year. As you may or may not know, authentic Ripken jersey's are about as common as Martians on the white house lawn. It is my opinion that the road Ripken I referenced is authentic as is apparent based on the research from Dave Bushing and Troy Kinnunen. My guess would be that most jersey's from that same year would be similar.

I was asking for additional feedback on the jersey as it was brought to my attention off of the forum. I apologize if my post angered you in some way as I am not sure why that would be however as I said, I have never seen a Ripken with the interior tagging that does not mean that jersey's were not made in that style for other players.

I do not believe that I violated rule 1782 subsection 85 page 428 on this or any forum because you stated clearly that this was the information that you had avialable. Again, I am not going to contact the seller of this auction or any auction and ask them to provide photographic exemplars of other period or same year jersey's for comparrison sake which is what I am specifically after here. If I had any specific questions related to this jersey or any auction for that matter that the seller could answer I certainly would ask them as I do numerous times. In this case there were none so I did not ask.

Thanks
Hello Brett,

Actually, here is the forum rule being referenced that everyone is expected to follow:

In instances where a forum member is identifying an item in the hobby they believe to have issues, it is expected that the poster clearly state their findings in the form of an opinion and provide adequate rationale for why they believe there is an issue. When possible, it is expected that the poster questioning an item will attempt to contact the seller of the item and allow at least 24 hours for the seller to reply before posting. This will prevent postings that may be generated based on misunderstandings of an item.

Contrary to the "rule 1782 subsection 85 page 428" comment, this is not some obscure rule stated in some large manual. It is one of only a few rules we expect people to follow to prevent misunderstandings like the one that appears to be happening here. This is especially true given the comment in your initial post that the item "...could have been a doctored jersey" as well as your question marks in the thread's title. At this point, unless some reason can be suggested to keep this thread, I will delete it to prevent any potential misunderstandings that may arise due to the initial posting (the reason for the rule in the first place). We will also ask that the rules be followed going forward so the seller does have a chance to reply to any questions before the item is publicly questioned.

clinton2828
07-22-2008, 12:02 PM
mr mir,
i sense in all your posts about ripken items that no one but yourself could own a real ripken item? he gave all the information about the jersey and dont see what is unclear?

Jealous?

trsent
07-22-2008, 12:07 PM
I there is a big misunderstanding here.

The original poster figured since the seller had a question and answer section in their listing, instead of just stating facts which would have been less confusing, they figured they could come on this forum and question the item without contacting the seller since they must have felt their questions were answered in the listing's question and answer section.

It has been brought to their attention that they must contact the seller with their questions first, no matter if the seller posts a question and answer section of questions they asked and answered about their own jersey.

mr.miracle
07-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Hello Brett,

Actually, here is the forum rule being referenced that everyone is expected to follow:

In instances where a forum member is identifying an item in the hobby they believe to have issues, it is expected that the poster clearly state their findings in the form of an opinion and provide adequate rationale for why they believe there is an issue. (I believe that is what exactly I did in fact do here.) When possible, it is expected that the poster questioning an item will attempt to contact the seller of the item and allow at least 24 hours for the seller to reply before posting. This will prevent postings that may be generated based on misunderstandings of an item.

Contrary to the "rule 1782 subsection 85 page 428" comment, this is not some obscure rule stated in some large manual. It is one of only a few rules we expect people to follow to prevent misunderstandings like the one that appears to be happening here. This is especially true given the comment in your initial post that the item "...could have been a doctored jersey" as well as your question marks in the thread's title. At this point, unless some reason can be suggested to keep this thread, I will delete it to prevent any potential misunderstandings that may arise due to the initial posting (the reason for the rule in the first place). We will also ask that the rules be followed going forward so the seller does have a chance to reply to any questions before the item is publicly questioned.

Hello Chris:

I appreciate the response. I was attempting to be a bit sarcastic I do admit and apologize for doing so. I am well aware of that rule although admitidely do not know the specific number of the rule as pointed out by the seller of the jersey. I still do not understand completely your point as I clearly stated that I did not contact the seller about the jersey because the seller himself in the auction stated

"(Q) Was this jersey worn by Cal Ripken in 1988?

(A) I don't know...the jersey has the identifying characherisitcs of a 1988 Ripken gamer, but I cannot guarantee it was worn by Ripken."

The seller further states in the auction listing heading
"Cal Ripken Orioles Game Worn Used Issued Home Jersey

Rawlings - Size 48 / Set 1 - 1988"

The question is, which is it game issued or game worn? Again, contacting the seller would seem to provide at this point no additional useful information to me. I was asking for examples of other 1988 Ripken jersey's or any opinions from anyone who might have seen one or have an example of one. My question marks in the original heading were based upon the fact that the seller himself lists the jersey as game worn used issued home jersey. This seems to be a perfectly logical question based upon the tagging of this jersey vs. exemplars of other Ripkens if available from that time frame.

How exactly is the seller in this case going to help me if I emailed him? If you can explain that please let me know because I had no questions that he would have been able to answer. The seller indicated that exact point last night in his response when he stated "I don't know the variations of tail tagging that were used on '88 Ripken gamers, if any, and for you to comment specifically on what it should or should not be is pure speculation on your behalf."

In fact, how does this seller know that it is "pure speculation on your behalf." when again, I have a solid exemplar provided for photo review against that jersey offered on ebay. Since I ONLY collect Cal Ripken Jr. game used items, I would suggest that I know a little something about what he did and did not use over the years.

I apologize if someone became offended by the original post. Everyone needs to take a bit of deep breath as it seems like people get so uptight about anything being questioned on this forum sometimes. I am sorry if I am a bit wary, but having witnessed probably something like 200 plus jersey's that were reportedly game worn by Cal Ripken Jr. over the past 20 years and I would say that maybe ten of those even came close to an authentic Ripken I tend to question everything. We have discussed on this forum numerous times how Cal generally kept everything game used from his career. I have personally seen about five game worn jersey's all early career of Cal's that show very solid to heavy use on the lettering, wash tag, etc. Based upon those numbers, I am going to seriously question anything reportedly game worn by Cal especially when it shows little or no use or wear on the tagging, numbers, letters etc.

I appreciate your concern and I am sorry if my post somehow offended anyone.

Thank You,

mr.miracle
07-22-2008, 01:15 PM
mr mir,
i sense in all your posts about ripken items that no one but yourself could own a real ripken item? he gave all the information about the jersey and dont see what is unclear?

Jealous?

There are a number of truely spectacular Ripken game worn items out there in private collections, in museums, in Cal's own possession. I could not possibly own them all or even hope to ever own them all. I am glad that Cal continues to maintain control over much of his own inventory from his career as it makes for much less of a glut in the industry and makes collecting him that much more fun. The HOF and other venues should have these game worn items on display for all to view and share in.

I know several other prominent Ripken collectors well and am glad we each share the same interest. I am not jealous in any way shape or form. The example I posted of the other 88 Ripken is a fine jersey that some collector has in their possession. I own a number of Ripken game bats but only one jersey. I generally stay away from game worn jersey's for two reasons. One, Ripken jersey's are impossible to find at least authentic ones. Two, I don't trust what is out there as I have seen way too many fraudulent Ripken jersey's over the years.

What is unclear is whether or not the jersey is or is not an authentic game worn Ripken Jersey. Game Issued Ripken's sell for $400 - $1000 generally. Game worn Ripken's sell for over $4k and up depending on the year. Big difference out there. Since I have an example of a tagged Ripken from 88 that does not match the seller's example, I am trying to determine if both styles of tagging were used. As Ironmanfan pointed out, they apparently were as he has a 1988 Road Ripken jersey in his own collection that matches the sellers at least in terms of tagging. I am not sure what is unclear about that??? People post jersey's all the time with question marks that will end up selling for a fraction of the cost of an authentic Ripken game worn jersey. If I have access to one style that is tagged differently than what is offered for sale and I am confident regarding the authenticity of the exemplar offered, naturally, I am going to ask questions in relation to whether any other collector has owned a similar jersey or seen tagging distinctly different in two different jerseys from the same player from the same year.

Thanks

Danny899
07-22-2008, 01:38 PM
[quote=mr.miracle;92147]Hello Chris:

I apologize if someone became offended by the original post. Everyone needs to take a bit of deep breath as it seems like people get so uptight about anything being questioned on this forum sometimes.

It seems like you're the only one getting uptight and offended here. Especially since you started the post. Follow the clear forum rules and don't get upset when the seller (Beantown)stands up for himself and calls you out on your accusations.

mr.miracle
07-22-2008, 01:58 PM
[quote=mr.miracle;92147]Hello Chris:

I apologize if someone became offended by the original post. Everyone needs to take a bit of deep breath as it seems like people get so uptight about anything being questioned on this forum sometimes.

It seems like you're the only one getting uptight and offended here. Especially since you started the post. Follow the clear forum rules and don't get upset when the seller (Beantown)stands up for himself and calls you out on your accusations.

Danny:

I am not accusing the seller of anything. In my experience in this hobby, people have had really solid items, they have had really bad items that they are completely unaware of and they also have really bad items that they are aware of and still try to pass them off as authentic even if they are not. Many times sellers have items that they believe to be 100% authentic (no pun intended on that one) however there are clear issues with the item. I questioned something that seems very clear cut in the style/jersey tagging based upon a solid exemplar that I believe to be authentic. At no point have I accused the seller of anything. I believe that there is a good chance that this jersey is at least game issued however I still have some concerns about it. The seller himself acknowledges that he cannot say for sure that it is game worn. I understand that fact as very few items are 100% guarenteed authentic even if the item came right off the players back with video to back it up. However, several issues that I have regarding the jersey make it more or less likely that it was in the Orioles clubhouse at some point and time and or whether it was ever worn on the field by Cal Ripken Jr.

Again, please let me know what rule exactly that I did not follow. There is no question that I have asked that the seller could answer based on the description listed in the auction. I think that is pretty plain and simple and I am not sure where there is any confusion. I asked for other examples from other forum members of similar 1988 Ripken jersey tagging. If the seller had other examples would it not be logical that he would have presented them in the original listing? I certainly would have if I was selling it to make the appeal of the item even stronger in terms of game used.

Thanks

beantown
07-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Brett,

What bothers me about your original post on this forum is that you never contacted me directly with your concerns? A simple email stating that you are a longtime Ripken collector and that you noticed that my jerseys tagging differs from an ’88 Cal Ripken Jr. Road Jersey that you have previously observed and or examined. Instead, you went right to the forum and were not accurate in your accusations!

You’re original and subsequent post made these accusations…

“The jersey in the auction is missing this extra tag. The Jersey in the ebay auction appears to have the tag stiched on the inside in reverse of where it would normally appear. I have not seen this with any authentic Ripken jersey before. It seems to me that this could have been a doctored jersey as a result although it does not appear from the pics in the auction that the nameplate has been altered in any way. I am wondering if this was either a retail jersey since 88 is the first year I believe that these became available and someone altered the tagging to make it look like a Ripken game worn/issued or perhaps there is some other explanation that I am missing”

As a long time Ripken collector I am very surprised that you didn’t know that there were different tail tag locations (interior/exterior) for ’88 Game Used Orioles Jerseys. As forum contributor “Ironman” has pointed out, ALL five Orioles jerseys he owns have the interior tail tagging. How can an individual with 20+ years of collecting experience not know this simple fact?

“I would base my example on other Ripken's if they are available. I am not familiar with any additional Ripken's from the 1988 year. As you may or may not know, authentic Ripken jersey's are about as common as Martians on the white house lawn”

“I am sorry if I am a bit wary, but having witnessed probably something like 200 plus jersey's that were reportedly game worn by Cal Ripken Jr. over the past 20 years and I would say that maybe ten of those even came close to an authentic Ripken I tend to question everything”

Am I correcting in stating that in 20 + years of collecting you have only seen (2) Ripken 1988 Game Jerseys…the one I am offering and the ’88 Road? If that’s correct, in my opinion that adds more credence to this jersey being a real Cal Ripken game jersey, since it is 100% unaltered and no other ’88 home jerseys have surfaced.

“I own a number of Ripken game bats but only one jersey. I generally stay away from game worn jersey's for two reasons. One, Ripken jersey's are impossible to find at least authentic ones. Two, I don't trust what is out there as I have seen way too many fraudulent Ripken jersey's over the years”

It would be nice if you could specifically elaborate on why you don’t trust buying Ripken game used jerseys…inform us as to what years you’ve seen and what was specifically wrong with these jerseys.

“I know several other prominent Ripken collectors well and am glad we each share the same interest. I am not jealous in any way shape or form. The example I posted of the other 88 Ripken is a fine jersey that some collector has in their possession. I own a number of Ripken game bats but only one jersey. I generally stay away from game worn jersey's for two reasons. One, Ripken jersey's are impossible to find at least authentic ones. Two, I don't trust what is out there as I have seen way too many fraudulent Ripken jersey's over the years”

It would have been nice if you conferred with these individuals who are prominent Ripken collectors and collectively, if they had any, share all of your concerns. Wouldn’t that have been more prudent than just coming to the forum and claiming the jersey was “bad” to begin with?

I tried to describe this jersey the best way possible and let the potential buyer make their own judgment to the facts I presented. Your tone/slant on the discussion of the jersey is that the jersey is “bad” since it doesn’t match the only one you know to exist from 1988 and believe to be real. I don’t think these accusations are fair too me or any prospective buyer whom you may have influenced with your misinformed statements….

-Chris

mr.miracle
07-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Hello Beantown:

Brett,

What bothers me about your original post on this forum is that you never contacted me directly with your concerns? A simple email stating that you are a longtime Ripken collector and that you noticed that my jerseys tagging differs from an ’88 Cal Ripken Jr. Road Jersey that you have previously observed and or examined. Instead, you went right to the forum and were not accurate in your accusations!

You’re original and subsequent post made these accusations…

“The jersey in the auction is missing this extra tag. The Jersey in the ebay auction appears to have the tag stiched on the inside in reverse of where it would normally appear. I have not seen this with any authentic Ripken jersey before. It seems to me that this could have been a doctored jersey as a result although it does not appear from the pics in the auction that the nameplate has been altered in any way. I am wondering if this was either a retail jersey since 88 is the first year I believe that these became available and someone altered the tagging to make it look like a Ripken game worn/issued or perhaps there is some other explanation that I am missing”

As a long time Ripken collector I am very surprised that you didn’t know that there were different tail tag locations (interior/exterior) for ’88 Game Used Orioles Jerseys. As forum contributor “Ironman” has pointed out, ALL five Orioles jerseys he owns have the interior tail tagging. How can an individual with 20+ years of collecting experience not know this simple fact?

Like I said, I did not ever see a Ripken jersey from 88 in that style. Whether other jersey's did or did not is not in question here.

“I would base my example on other Ripken's if they are available. I am not familiar with any additional Ripken's from the 1988 year. As you may or may not know, authentic Ripken jersey's are about as common as Martians on the white house lawn”

“I am sorry if I am a bit wary, but having witnessed probably something like 200 plus jersey's that were reportedly game worn by Cal Ripken Jr. over the past 20 years and I would say that maybe ten of those even came close to an authentic Ripken I tend to question everything”

Am I correcting in stating that in 20 + years of collecting you have only seen (2) Ripken 1988 Game Jerseys…the one I am offering and the ’88 Road? If that’s correct, in my opinion that adds more credence to this jersey being a real Cal Ripken game jersey, since it is 100% unaltered and no other ’88 home jerseys have surfaced.

I have never seen anything that Ironmanfan owns so eliminating that Ripken Jr. jersey from the equation that is correct, I have seen two total Ripken 88 jersey's. Like I said before and this is no great revelation and has been discussed numerous times on this forum. Cal held onto everything and authentic game worn items from him are all be impossible to find with the operative word being authentic.
“I own a number of Ripken game bats but only one jersey. I generally stay away from game worn jersey's for two reasons. One, Ripken jersey's are impossible to find at least authentic ones. Two, I don't trust what is out there as I have seen way too many fraudulent Ripken jersey's over the years”

It would be nice if you could specifically elaborate on why you don’t trust buying Ripken game used jerseys…inform us as to what years you’ve seen and what was specifically wrong with these jerseys.

Let me sum this up. Everything is bad from 1990 on. I have seen two legit 1990's and forward game used jersey's. You name it, the font style is wrong, wrong manufacturers tag, wrong piping on the sleeves, constant alterations to the name plate, manufactuers tag etc. etc. etc. Do a search on this forum for game used Ripken jersey's and you will see countless post discussing them. You can count on one hand the number of jersey's that were deemed authentic across Cal's 21 year big league career.
“I know several other prominent Ripken collectors well and am glad we each share the same interest. I am not jealous in any way shape or form. The example I posted of the other 88 Ripken is a fine jersey that some collector has in their possession. I own a number of Ripken game bats but only one jersey. I generally stay away from game worn jersey's for two reasons. One, Ripken jersey's are impossible to find at least authentic ones. Two, I don't trust what is out there as I have seen way too many fraudulent Ripken jersey's over the years”

It would have been nice if you conferred with these individuals who are prominent Ripken collectors and collectively, if they had any, share all of your concerns. Wouldn’t that have been more prudent than just coming to the forum and claiming the jersey was “bad” to begin with?

Sorry, they are on vacation and I had no way of contacting them until the end of the month. Unlike the rest of the world I think they keep the computers at home.

I tried to describe this jersey the best way possible and let the potential buyer make their own judgment to the facts I presented. Your tone/slant on the discussion of the jersey is that the jersey is “bad” since it doesn’t match the only one you know to exist from 1988 and believe to be real. I don’t think these accusations are fair too me or any prospective buyer whom you may have influenced with your misinformed statements….

Hopefully the jersey will sell for what you are looking for out of the auction. If anything, perhaps Ironmanfan's additional feedback concerning the tagging will assist in the sale. I would be curious if Ironmanfan could perhaps comment on whether or not his jersey has the 2 inch extra length tagging on the inside tag as well. I am not completely sure when this started however that might also help answer the some additional questions.

Thanks

-Chris

beantown
07-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Hello...I've add this to the auction description to assist any prospective bidders...

I have been informed that an exemplar of a 1988 Cal Ripken Jr. Road Jersey has been documented as having a "T" tag (Tapered) and a "2 inch extra length" tag...both of these tags appeared in the tail of the jersey adjacent to the Rawlings Size 48 manufacturing tag...

-Chris

bigtime59
07-23-2008, 08:12 AM
People...please stop with the multiple fonts and multiple sizes and multiple colors! I'm trying to read a fairly serious thread, and the fontmania is giving me a major headache.
I was contacted by another forum member about this jersey before the listing went up. My concern about the jersey then--and now--is the lack of additional length tagging. Everything else looked OK to me (based on the photos provided). I have to admit, though, that my judgement in this instance was based on 1) Orioles jerseys in my collection from years other than 1988, and 2) memory of the two 1988 Orioles road jerseys I've previously owned, but since sold.

bigtime59
07-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Oops!
Forgot the name and sig in my last post!

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com