PDA

View Full Version : Bonds Ball for a good cause

jkalathas
07-21-2008, 11:34 AM
I thought I would share this with you guys. I hope there are not too many Bonds fans on the Forum. The money will go to a good cause. Let me know what you think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230273748243

bubbrubb25
07-21-2008, 11:40 AM
I like bonds, thought it would be a unique item so I placed an opening bid.

frikativ54
07-21-2008, 12:30 PM
I like bonds, thought it would be a unique item so I placed an opening bid.

It is likely that Bonds didn't sign the ball with the asterisk on it. The seller probably attached it himself, which IMO decreases the collectibility. Not sure what you guys think.

harpt
07-21-2008, 12:41 PM
And it's not even an asterisk on the ball...looks like a stick-man.

4cuda9er
07-21-2008, 12:45 PM
It appears that this is not about the charity, but singling out Bonds and steroid use.. If it was about the charity the ball would have made a better profit if it was sold without the ASTERISK. I have seen Bonds 73rd HR balls without a asterisk, sell for twice as much as one with the asterisk.. If you want to use the roid thing, a bigger ball and have it signed by all the major league players that were mentioned in the report.

jkalathas
07-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the comments. I just wanted to address a few of the comments. I was trying to think of a fun way to sell a baseball that I had in my collection that I no longer wanted. I have collected single signed balls of all of the 500 home run club members. Over the past few years as more and more guys join the club, I tried to keep up with getting a ball signed by each of these guys... which I was pretty successful in doing. Over the past two years or so, with all of the steroid claims (and I know Bonds was/is by far not the only guy who was using them... I am a Yankees fan and a Giambi fan) I lost interest in collecting the 'new' 500 HR club members. So recently I sold off the balls I had signed by Palmeiro, Sosa and others. The only ball I had left that I no longer wanted was Bonds. So after looking at the prices his single signed balls are bringing, which is not much (about $100) I tried to think of a way to get rid of the ball that would be interesting and could help a good cause, so I decided to put an asterisk on the ball and donate 75% of the selling cost to charity. You are correct, I don't think Bonds would ever sign a ball marked with an asterisk, and if I was Bonds I would not either. I added the asterisk myself to my Bonds ball and tried to find a charity that would go along with the baseball. I think Cal Ripken's charity was the perfect answer, becuase no one in my opinion is more of a model athlete on and off the field as Ripken was.
Hope this helps address some of the comments.
Now that you say it the astrisk does kind of look like a stick man, lol.

frikativ54
07-21-2008, 01:13 PM
You kind of led us to believe that you weren't the one selling the ball...

jkalathas
07-21-2008, 01:14 PM
That was not my intention. Please let me know if you think I should change the wording or add anything. Should I add that the ball was marked after Bonds signed it? Thanks again for the comments.

trsent
07-21-2008, 01:30 PM
That was not my intention. Please let me know if you think I should change the wording or add anything. Should I add that the ball was marked after Bonds signed it? Thanks again for the comments.

I think people should stop determining guilt of people until a court of law proves such. I am so tired of society making assumptions.

With that said, I assume most of these guys abused these drugs, but then again, who cares? It was part of the sport for over ten years, and if you found every player who experimented with these drugs, you would have to wipe out what, 1/3, 1/2, 3/4 the league records? Baseball knew they were being used, but they liked the attendance results, so they ignored it.

Common, move on with your life people - We are attacking drug addicts and ignoring drug dealers - Look at Congress! They are attacking drug users and letting the drug dealers off the hook! This is the first time society has allowed this. Why?

Also, while you are at it, please remove all stats from Keith Hernandez from the record book and get Fergie Jenkins kicked out of the National Baseball Hall of Fame. They were both known drug users. Yes, illegal drugs. Who are we to pick which illegal drugs are acceptable and which are not?

Such a sad double standard.

bubbrubb25
07-21-2008, 01:49 PM
It is likely that Bonds didn't sign the ball with the asterisk on it. The seller probably attached it himself, which IMO decreases the collectibility. Not sure what you guys think.
Yea, theres about a 0% chance of bonds signing a ball with an asterisk on it.