PDA

View Full Version : game used baseballs....your favorite

tigerdale
07-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Just thought I'd ask....I like collecting game used baseballs...preferably MLB authenticated ones....what is everyones that collects them their favorite ONE they have....thats hard for me, I probably have a dozen or so I'd never part w/...but being a tigers fan , having a world series ball from 2006 is probably my favorite...game 2 (their lone win)...9th inning, jones hit wilson w/ a pitch....that may be my favorite.

AWA85
07-20-2008, 06:48 PM
Well, since I have one game used MLB baseball it would have to be that one. It is from the first season at new Busch so even though I am not a Cardinals fan it is a pretty cool ball with their commemorative logo on it. To top it off it was fouled off by Adam Dunn. For the Cardinals fans though, this was the game that Pujols hit 3 home runs and the Cards game back to win the game I believe when Stormy Weathers gave up the third bomb.

godwulf
07-20-2008, 08:21 PM
I've only collected a few, so far. Aside from a couple of foul balls, I have a ball used in the Diamondbacks' 500th win, a ball used in the team's 1,000th game, and one used in the first game the Nationals played here.

The one I really, really want, though, is the ball Randy Johnson used to drill Barry Bonds in the ribs on September 10, 2004, but I don't suppose anybody saved that one. :rolleyes:

This may actually be a little on the morbid side, but I also wouldn't mind having the ball that Randy accidentally killed the dove with in Spring Training a few years ago (have you seen that video?)...at least somebody on another board called it morbid a while back. (Maybe because I mentioned that I wouldn't mind having the dove's body mounted atop the ball?)

frikativ54
07-20-2008, 08:33 PM
I've only collected a few, so far. Aside from a couple of foul balls, I have a ball used in the Diamondbacks' 500th win, a ball used in the team's 1,000th game, and one used in the first game the Nationals played here.

The one I really, really want, though, is the ball Randy Johnson used to drill Barry Bonds in the ribs on September 10, 2004, but I don't suppose anybody saved that one. :rolleyes:

This may actually be a little on the morbid side, but I also wouldn't mind having the ball that Randy accidentally killed the dove with in Spring Training a few years ago (have you seen that video?)...at least somebody on another board called it morbid a while back. (Maybe because I mentioned that I wouldn't mind having the dove's body mounted atop the ball?)

I would love to have that Johnson ball he used to drill Bonds in the ribs myself! He deserved it. :D

But that dove is just tragic. :( If I owned that ball, I'd chop it up into smitherines and dispose of it with the Saturday evening trash.

bubbrubb25
07-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Billy Wagner save ball from 2006 phillies vs mets Chris Woodward made the game ending out and ran into the dugout and on his way in tossed me the ball. Also my Chase Utley foul ball. There the ones that mean the most to me.

dcgreg25
07-20-2008, 09:09 PM
My favorite would have to be either my vlad homerun ball or the doc gooden team signed no-hitter baseball. I am not a Yankees fan but always liked gooden and it was a pretty cool moment.

suave1477
07-20-2008, 10:38 PM
This is a hard choice for me.

But I have 3 top favorites I will list each one from my best to 3rd, 2 of which I recently got.

As crazy as it may seem being a Yankees fan and living in New York I havent ever had the chance to go to an actual Yankees game till 2006.

I went to Game 2 of the opening day series and Sheffield hit a walk off home run to win the game.
1) I was able to get a Game Used baseball from that Yankees game and had Sheffield sign it.
2) Home Run Derby Game used Gold Baseball hit by Alex Rios (his final out of the 1st round)
3) Home Run Derby Game Used Baseball hit by Albert Pujols (His first out 2nd round)

If anyone knows of Alex Rios or Albert Pujols doing a signing in or near the east coast area please let me know

Fnazxc0114
07-21-2008, 01:43 AM
i think the ball johnson used to hit the bird would be a cool one to have because it is pretty rare. the bird had it coming at some point in his life. why not go out as being famous. im surprised johnson didnt eat it.

island_style
07-21-2008, 05:05 AM
Not MLB authenticated, but my favorite game used ball is the one that I "caught" during an Orioles-Dodgers interleague game at Chavez Ravine. A friend of mine left me tickets for the game just to the left of home plate on the field level. Top of the ninth, Eric Gagne is in the midst of his record consecutive saves streak and an Oriole fouls one off to the section on my left. While watching a lot of people go diving over the seats for the ball, it rolled towards my shoes and I picked it up.

It wasn't a screaming line drive like the one that Kyle snagged, but it sure was a great feeling to get a game used baseball.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

tigerdale
07-21-2008, 05:51 AM
My favorite would have to be either my vlad homerun ball or the doc gooden team signed no-hitter baseball. I am not a Yankees fan but always liked gooden and it was a pretty cool moment.
wow....what vlad homerun ball is it??

tigerdale
07-21-2008, 05:54 AM
these are all awesome...ya know I have to add a few now....I have a used gold ball from both Ivan Rodriguez & Magglio Ordonez, the two tigers that have been in the derby since they started the gold ball & and a psa/dna ball from the tigers, from the last game at tiger stadium.....I'm just really liking game used baseballs!!!

godwulf
07-21-2008, 12:39 PM
i think the ball johnson used to hit the bird would be a cool one to have because it is pretty rare. the bird had it coming at some point in his life. why not go out as being famous. im surprised johnson didnt eat it.

Reportedly, Randy was pretty upset by the incident at the time, and did not join in the resulting joking around about it.

Personally, I love and/or admire most animals and don't find anything funny or edifying about their deaths - but in this case, that ball is part of one of the most bizarre Baseball-related incidents ever recorded...and so, I'd like to own it. (Upon consideration, I really would not like to mount the bird on the ball, though...particularly since, judging from the video, its body would be entirely featherless.)

Speaking of bizarre Baseball-related incidents, how about the ball that bounced off of Jose Canseco's noggin and over the wall, resulting in the Canseco Rule?

orioles03
07-21-2008, 03:32 PM
i have three one would be a jay gibbons hr ball from his rookie season it was when he was killing the blue jays he had some kind of record for the month for hitting hr's against a team it hit off the foul pole in left field went to ball girl she gave it to me.
second would be a marlon anderson hr ball it landed on eutaw street the fan through it back went to brian roberts he was so pissed he through it back in the dugout hard it landed on the warning track took a wierd bounce because the warning track is rubber and hit me in the stomach hard.got marlon to sign the ball the next day.
and last it is not a game used ball but it is i 2002 opening day ball my first opening day a bat boy we played the yankees i was so nervous had to get introduced in front of 49,000 people so i got the ball from that game wrote all the stats from the game attendance,pitchers,tony batista hit a grand slam i was at home plate in the paperthe next day. that is probally my favorite ball even though it is not game used

mdube16
07-21-2008, 06:27 PM
My favorite is a foul ball I caught on October 1st 1983. It was the final series of the regular season and the Phillies were playing the Pirates. It was my first foul ball. I had Jose DeLeon and Alejandro Sanchez (the hitter and pitcher) both sign it after the game. Its by far my favorite GU item. Baseball reference's box score shows me that it was the 6th inning and Sanchez struck out for the first out of the inning.

markfd
07-21-2008, 07:02 PM
This is a tough one but my favorite is my 2004 ALDS Game 4 GU ball autographed by Mariano Rivera. Mariano pitched two scoreless innings to get the win in extra innings.

godwulf
07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
This is a tough one but my favorite is my 2004 ALDS Game 4 GU ball autographed by Mariano Rivera. Mariano pitched two scoreless innings to get the win in extra innings.

Speaking of Mariano, Jerry Colangelo has the ball Luis Gonzalez hit off of Rivera to win the '01 World Series, but I'd settle for the ball Rivera threw into Center Field, between Jeter's glove and Dave Dellucci's face, to put runners on 1st and 2nd with nobody out. (I asked Dellucci if he saw that ball sail past his face, and he smiled and said, "No, but I heard it!")

BernBabyBern
07-22-2008, 01:45 PM
I have 2 game used baseballs from game 6 of the 2003 ALCS Yankees vs. Red Sox. MLB authenticated. Pretty cool.

MAP

brianborsch
07-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Currently I have two game used baseballs I am proud to own. They are both game used balls from the 2007 Futures game.

-The first one is the actual ball Adrian Cardenas hit for a bloop single in the 6th inning for his only hit in his only at-bat of the game. The cool thing is that he comments on that at-bat in an interview and talks about how that experience is a great one for his development.

-The second one is a ball I just got in today! It is the actual ball that Clayton Kershaw pitched to strikeout Elvis Andrus in the 7th inning! The details read as follows:
Session Product Description: GAME USED BALL
Additional Information: PITCHED BY KERSHAW TO ANDRUS IN 7TH INNING (STRIKE OUT/BALL IN DIRT)

Pretty cool!

tigerdale
07-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Currently I have two game used baseballs I am proud to own. They are both game used balls from the 2007 Futures game.

-The first one is the actual ball Adrian Cardenas hit for a bloop single in the 6th inning for his only hit in his only at-bat of the game. The cool thing is that he comments on that at-bat in an interview and talks about how that experience is a great one for his development.

-The second one is a ball I just got in today! It is the actual ball that Clayton Kershaw pitched to strikeout Elvis Andrus in the 7th inning! The details read as follows:
Additional Information: PITCHED BY KERSHAW TO ANDRUS IN 7TH INNING (STRIKE OUT/BALL IN DIRT)

Pretty cool!
those balls that are not only game used, but detailed right down to the event of the ball are just great....true collector pieces in my opinion.

brianborsch
07-22-2008, 08:59 PM
I agree! The Cardenas ball detail reads as follows:

Additional Information: PITCHED BY BEATO TO CARDENAS IN 6TH INNING (BASE HIT TO LEFT FIELD)

Session Name: 2007 ALL-STAR FUTURES GAME
Session Date: July 08, 2007
Autographer:
Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.

The best detail I have ever seen on an item cam from this game!

JCC1968
07-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi

My favorite game used baseballs

1) Jim Longorg no hitter in 1974

2) John Cashmore first pitch for Brooklyn Dodgers 1953

3) Len Barkers perfect game in 1981 signed by all the umps in the game too

4) Stan Musial victory baseball 1959 aganist the Pirates

5) Steve Garvey and Ed Sudol 1974 All Star game

6) Frank White and ump crew for 1980 ALCS

7) Reggie Jackson and ump McCoy 1977 world Series