PDA

View Full Version : Line-Up Cards

frikativ54
07-17-2008, 12:24 AM
I am looking for more information on game-used line-up cards. Are all of them typically auctioned of on http://auctions.mlb.com? Both the home and away versions for each game? Or are they pitched, except for the more historic ones? I can't figure out any rhyme or reason as to which are auctioned off, and which are kept/thrown away.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frik

OaklandAsFan
07-17-2008, 02:28 AM
I think it is the managers preference. I have gotten several of them through the years after the games. I also have several of the lineup cards that they exchange at homeplate that were given to me after games.

frikativ54
07-17-2008, 04:00 AM
I think it is the managers preference. I have gotten several of them through the years after the games. I also have several of the lineup cards that they exchange at homeplate that were given to me after games.

How do you get them to give them to you? Do you ask? Beg? Plead?

Also, what do the dots next to players names mean?

OaklandAsFan
07-17-2008, 11:54 AM
well up in Oakland when I was going to almost all the games, after the games if the lineup exchange cards were left in the dugout the security guard would get them and hand them out to people. I forget how I ended up with the actual lineup cards that hang on the wall though I know I got a few from visiting managers as they left the field.

It's easy in Oakland because the players have to walk past you to get to their clubhouse unlike most stadiums where the tunnel is right in the dugout..
I believe the dots are when a player gets a hit but I could be wrong.

kylehess10
07-17-2008, 12:05 PM
For the Braves, I believe every single line-up card is MLB authenticated and sold directly from the Braves. They sell them for $100 a piece either through their e-mail list or at the Clubhouse Store in CNN

orioles03
07-17-2008, 12:15 PM
well up in Oakland when I was going to almost all the games, after the games if the lineup exchange cards were left in the dugout the security guard would get them and hand them out to people. I forget how I ended up with the actual lineup cards that hang on the wall though I know I got a few from visiting managers as they left the field.

It's easy in Oakland because the players have to walk past you to get to their clubhouse unlike most stadiums where the tunnel is right in the dugout..
I believe the dots are when a player gets a hit but I could be wrong.
the dots are where the players left off in previous inning makes it easier so if manager need to make switch he would know where they are in batting order

frikativ54
07-18-2008, 01:33 AM
How much would you guys legitimately pay for a game-used lineup card? Who here has bought one or more? What was it, and are you happy with the purchase?

tigerdale
07-18-2008, 05:50 AM
How much would you guys legitimately pay for a game-used lineup card? Who here has bought one or more? What was it, and are you happy with the purchase?
I've collected them for years, mainly detroit tiger ones. Prices very from common game to world series. I like the big dugout ones MLB sells , but also the smaller ones exchanged at home plate. Since they are becomming more common on the market, I would think the prices should drop. the tigers sell theres after every game for 75. I have at least one tiger (the smaller sized ones) one each season for the past 25 years....my oldest dates to back in the 1930's!!

AWA85
07-18-2008, 04:08 PM
I bought one reds line up card, the large MLB type and this was before I did any research so I think I ended up paying about 40 or 45 for just a regular game. That is a little higher than I would want to pay now that I know price ranges, but it is signed by former coach Jack McKeon, so that is an added bonus.

Tedw9
07-18-2008, 04:36 PM
I bought a line up card a couple of years ago from the Yawkey Way Store across from Fenway. I had been there before and purchased a game used ball for $50 and upon doing research, I found out which game it was used in. On my next trip down, I was able to get the line up card from the same game so they will make a nice display together. At that time, I paid $125 for the card, only because I had a ball from the game.

Now Steiner handles all the Sox items and the cheapest card is $350, with some much higher.

godwulf
07-18-2008, 04:39 PM
I've bought the lineup cards from the home dugout at the Chase Field Team Shop a few times. They usually sell them for $50 or so, but then they'll have a lot of unsold ones pile up on them occasionally and they'll have a sale, and you can pick them up for $15-20.

I've also bought minor league lineup cards for next to nothing - pretty cool, when the players listed on them are the guys playing in the Majors now.

I bought the lineup card from the U.S. dugout, from the last game of the Olympic qualifying tournament in 2006, the U.S. vanquishing of Cuba in Havana, directly from Team USA, and it cost me several hundred dollars, but I happen to think that it's probably the most historically important item in my entire Baseball collection, and I'd have paid whatever I had to to get it. I considered having a couple of the players listed on it sign the thing, but in the end I decided that it was better "as is".

pietraynor
07-18-2008, 05:04 PM
I have purchased several in the past from the Indians, the larger dugout style. Personally, I like these better. Some had the MLB hologram, while others didn't. Jay.

cyd64
07-18-2008, 05:54 PM
I have a few minor league line up cards from some Major Leaguers rehabbing. If anyone is interested email me gameusedmemorabilia@gmail.com

Rehabs include:

Estaban Loaiza 5-19-08 (Dodgers "A" affiliate)
Jason Schmidt 5-26-08(Dodgers "A" affiliate)
Jason Schmidt 5-31-08 (both home and visitors LU cards) (Dodgers & Red Sox "A" affiliates)
Dustin Mosely & Macir Izturus 5-12-08 (Angels "A" vs. Dodgers "A" affiliate)

http://app4.websitetonight.com/projects/8/6/8/8/868809/_mygallery/006.JPG

cyd64
07-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Other 2 Line Up cards in my post are from Bobby Kielt rehab on 5-29-08 --- I have both the home and visitors line up cards from that game.

7 total

70to66
07-18-2008, 06:22 PM
I was in St. Louis at the old busch stadium for a interleague game between the Indians and Cardinals and after the game I was standing behind the dugout and the line-up card came flying over the top of the dugout in front of me. I took it and it has Mcgwire and Jim Thome both listed on it.
70to66

tigerdale
07-18-2008, 07:39 PM
I've bought the lineup cards from the home dugout at the Chase Field Team Shop a few times. They usually sell them for $50 or so, but then they'll have a lot of unsold ones pile up on them occasionally and they'll have a sale, and you can pick them up for $15-20.

I've also bought minor league lineup cards for next to nothing - pretty cool, when the players listed on them are the guys playing in the Majors now.

I bought the lineup card from the U.S. dugout, from the last game of the Olympic qualifying tournament in 2006, the U.S. vanquishing of Cuba in Havana, directly from Team USA, and it cost me several hundred dollars, but I happen to think that it's probably the most historically important item in my entire Baseball collection, and I'd have paid whatever I had to to get it. I considered having a couple of the players listed on it sign the thing, but in the end I decided that it was better "as is".
I'm with you on that....on my "important" lineups & balls, I always leave 'as is'..on my run of the mill lineups & used ball...those are what I get sigs on.

frikativ54
07-19-2008, 01:57 AM
I bought a line up card a couple of years ago from the Yawkey Way Store across from Fenway. I had been there before and purchased a game used ball for $50 and upon doing research, I found out which game it was used in. On my next trip down, I was able to get the line up card from the same game so they will make a nice display together. At that time, I paid $125 for the card, only because I had a ball from the game.

Now Steiner handles all the Sox items and the cheapest card is $350, with some much higher.

I have been browsing MLB.com Auctions, and some of the lineup cards have opening bids of $500. And these aren't even milestone games. Why are they so expensive? What do you usually pay for your lineup cards? What's the most you've paid?

cyd64
07-19-2008, 02:09 PM
I have a few minor league line up cards from some Major Leaguers rehabbing. If anyone is interested email me gameusedmemorabilia@gmail.com

Rehabs include:

Estaban Loaiza 5-19-08 (Dodgers "A" affiliate)
Jason Schmidt 5-26-08(Dodgers "A" affiliate)
Jason Schmidt 5-31-08 (both home and visitors LU cards) (Dodgers & Red Sox "A" affiliates)
Dustin Mosely & Macir Izturus 5-12-08 (Angels "A" vs. Dodgers "A" affiliate)

http://app4.websitetonight.com/projects/8/6/8/8/868809/_mygallery/006.JPG

Will sell all 7 for $50 -- email gameusedmemorabilia@gmail.com

panthrotc
07-21-2008, 06:49 PM
THE LAST GAME MCGWIRE PLAYED IN SITTING ON 62 HOMERUNS. HE WOULD HIT # 63 THE FOLLOWING GAME. SIGNED BY THE STARTING LINE.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/longball98/Mcgwire%20Autographed%20Memorabilia/98.jpg

suave1477
07-21-2008, 11:34 PM
I have the lineup card sigend by Davey Johnson given to the umpires Mets 1988 season, A fave of mine because Strawberry was in the lienup and 88 was one of Strawberrys best seasons.

Also a Yankees dugout lineup card autographed by 3 players from 2006 whcih happend to be one of the best series they had against the orioles.
Its the first game card of a 3 game series.
1st game was a regular game
2nd Game was raining home runs. Giambi, Arod, Posada, Abreu and a few other players hit home runs.
3rd Game Orioles pitcher almost threw a no hitter until the last inning where Cano hit a bloop single.

I was at all 3 games and in game 2 I almost caught Posadas home run but missed it by inches and if you see the video from the game you see me just missing the ball.