PDA

View Full Version : Bob Skinner S226 Model

Birdbats
03-06-2006, 10:22 AM
I had the opportunity to meet Bob Skinner at a show yesterday and have him sign my game bat. He told me a story about this particular model, an S226. He said he used to get a callous on his bottom hand from the S2 bat knob, so H&B turned this new bat (with a less-pronounced knob) to his specs. I was just curious if Skinner's records reflected his account, and if so, when the S226 was first turned.

My particular bat is 34.5" and, according to Bats, dates to the 1964 season (REG.U.S.PAT.OFF. under oval w/ "new" version of Powerized). But it weighs only 28.5 ounces. Clearly, this bat has lost some weight (which I find interesting in light of the recent GUF discussion about weight gains and losses). So, I'm curious what the records say about Skinner's S226, 34.5", circa 1964. Thanks!

Jeff
http://www.birdbats.com

MSpecht
03-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Hi Jeff --

I bet you had a good time talking with Bob...I've had the chance to talk with him 2 or 3 times in the San Diego area over the years. Unfortunately, I do not have his H & B records. I believe that Bob is probably correct in his account, as many players have very distinct memories about specific bats. For instance, when I showed a 1958 Model O1S to Brooks Robinson in Del Mar a few years ago to get signed, he looked at it and said "Man, this is a real early one here."

There is the other side of the coin, though. When interviewing Padres outfielder Leron Lee in the late 1970's, I asked how he went about selecting which model bat he used. His reply was a thoughtful, "I don't know." It may have been a brush-off, but I don't think so because he answered another eight or so questions after that. Go figure. I guess he finally figured it out though, as he went to Japan and was one of Japan's leading hitters for several years after that interview.

Mike