PDA

View Full Version : Auction House -vs- Ebay

ahuff
07-10-2008, 07:43 AM
I have a Matt Holliday jersey w/team COA that I am going to sell. My question is this. . .what is the best medium to sell such a jersey? Seeing that GUU Auctions won't be going on for a while, what is my next best option. If it is an auction house, what are the ones fellow members have had the best luck with?

Thanks.

suave1477
07-10-2008, 09:37 AM
ahuff I have always looked at it like this if it is a super mega star player game used item you will get top dollar at a Sports Auction house but if the player is a common to a Semi/super star your best bet would be ebay.
Also depends how how quick your looking to move the product. Ebay obviously depends on how long you list the item for Vs. an Auction house having to wait till there Auction ends and then them getting paid and then in return paying you.

David
07-10-2008, 12:58 PM
I don't know what is better and which would bring more money for the jersey, but on a personal note I've consigned through Lelands a number of times and was happy with the service and payment was prompt. I consigned to two Mastro acuctions a long time back and also had no trouble, though that was several years ago.

David
07-10-2008, 01:19 PM
One thing you can do is have 'Best Offer' sale on eBay. If you don't get price you like, you can then consign it.

millerbr
07-10-2008, 03:26 PM
How much are you trying to sell it for? If you could email me

millerbr444@yahoo.com

brianborsch
07-23-2008, 09:47 PM
ahuff,

Do you still have the Holliday jersey? If so can you email me pics? brianborsch@yahoo.com

ahuff
07-24-2008, 02:02 PM
ahuff I have always looked at it like this if it is a super mega star player game used item you will get top dollar at a Sports Auction house but if the player is a common to a Semi/super star your best bet would be ebay.
Also depends how how quick your looking to move the product. Ebay obviously depends on how long you list the item for Vs. an Auction house having to wait till there Auction ends and then them getting paid and then in return paying you.

What would you consider Holliday?

larry bourget
07-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Why don't you sell it here?

Oh that's right they don't have a For Sale section here anymore.

LB

suave1477
07-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Ahuff please forgive me when i say this, Semi Star at the moment with potential to be a Super Star.

I do not follow Holliday only know of him really by name and in New York he is not mentioned much esepcially since he plays for a National League Team. I am a Yankees fan.

But I looked over his numbers and he has put up great numbers for only being in the majors a few years no doubt about that. But he is still young and along way to go.
So at most I can give him is Semi Star with potential to be a Super Star.

AWA85
07-24-2008, 06:01 PM
His numbers make me a little uncertain if he is just a product of Coors field or not.

1stroundko
07-24-2008, 06:26 PM
I have bought two Holliday jerseys on ebay in the past year; a 2005 signed Alternate jersey that had nothing conclusively showing that it was game used because the Team lettter states that it was either signed or used by Matt Holliday, and it was signed. I paid 755 because I thought it looked like it could be game used as well and sent it off to MEARS. It came back with a grade of A10. The second one was a 2006, with the same team letter stating either signed or game used. This one was not signed, therefore it is game used and it came with a price tag from the Rockies as well as the letter. It was $525. on ebay.
He should be a big enough star to earn higher prices, but he plays for a small market team (at least for the next twelve months). You probably have to sell it before next July 31st, as when he goes to the Yankees/Mets/Red Sox and signs with Steiner, no one will want a Rockies jersey.

brianborsch
07-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Look at the guy. He certainly is NOT a product of Coors field. He makes awesome/consistent contact. Coors field has nothing to do with that. He is hitting over .300 in away games. Also the dude is naturally huge so he will generate power wherever he goes. You watch. If the Rockies are dumb enough to trade him, he will continue to rake wherever he goes. He is great natural hitter, 'nuff said.

AWA85
07-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Brian I am going to have to disagree with you here. Although he may be a good player wherever he plays you have to look at the results. Yes for this 2/3 of a season he is around .300 on the road but looking at the past 3 years he is a .281 hitter compared to a whopping .370 at home now that will drive your average up just a little. I am a fan of OBP and that drops from .430 home to .343 on the road. I am just not sold on Holliday, yet and there is no way to find out till he is on another team unless you look at the stats overall and not just a small sample size. We can revisit this topic in a few years if the big guy is playing elsewhere.

ahuff
07-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Brian I am going to have to disagree with you here. Although he may be a good player wherever he plays you have to look at the results. Yes for this 2/3 of a season he is around .300 on the road but looking at the past 3 years he is a .281 hitter compared to a whopping .370 at home now that will drive your average up just a little. I am a fan of OBP and that drops from .430 home to .343 on the road. I am just not sold on Holliday, yet and there is no way to find out till he is on another team unless you look at the stats overall and not just a small sample size. We can revisit this topic in a few years if the big guy is playing elsewhere.

I'm not stating this to pump up the jersey. But I think Coors field gets a bad wrap. Personally, I just think some guys play better when they are at home, irregardless of where home is. Take a look at other stars such as Big Papi, Prince Fielder, and Carl Crawford. They show a very similar trend as Holliday.

brianborsch
07-25-2008, 07:07 AM
My point exactly! Obviously, the thin air at Coors may have some effect that can cause the ball to travel further, but saying that Matt Holliday is not the real deal would mean that Todd Helton is not a great hitter or even Garrett Atkins and anyone else who played for the Rockies.

brianborsch
07-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Besides that, there are plenty of ballparks where hitters tend to hit better due to whatever reasons. The Phillies park, AZ's ballpark, Cincy, etc. To get #'s like Holliday, you have to be a good hitter.

Otherwise you discredit many other players like Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, etc.

Brian B