PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Famers at All Star Game

cjclong
07-08-2008, 09:19 AM
I heard that New York was making a real effort to get as many Hall of Fame members as possible to attend the All Star game in Mew York. They were talking about having a parade up 6th Avenue. I don't know what the chances would be of trying to get autographs. Wish I could be there if they do arrange it.

suave1477
07-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Cjclong yeah they announced it about a month or so ago. There is not going to be any opportunity during the parade to get autographs. The parades in New York are barracaded off from the public and there will be police officers on it tighter then white on rice.
I am sure the crowds there will be enourmous so even if there was a slight chance to get an autograph there is going to be so many people chances are not going to get next to anyone.

The autograph opportunities are going to come during the Fanfest but I am sure there will be a limited amount of time the players will do it and the lines will be out the door.

Just to give you an example New York has the PR Parade which is the largest parade in the U.S. an averages of 8 million people show up a year for that parade. So even if New York gets 1/8 of that, there will be close to a million people and I doubt it will be that low since this All Star game is going to be pulling in not only the local New Yorkers but people from around the U.S. are flying in. The city during that week is going to be in chaos.

CollectGU
07-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Cjclong yeah they announced it about a month or so ago. There is not going to be any opportunity during the parade to get autographs. The parades in New York are barracaded off from the public and there will be police officers on it tighter then white on rice.
I am sure the crowds there will be enourmous so even if there was a slight chance to get an autograph there is going to be so many people chances are not going to get next to anyone.

The autograph opportunities are going to come during the Fanfest but I am sure there will be a limited amount of time the players will do it and the lines will be out the door.

Just to give you an example New York has the PR Parade which is the largest parade in the U.S. an averages of 8 million people show up a year for that parade. So even if New York gets 1/8 of that, there will be close to a million people and I doubt it will be that low since this All Star game is going to be pulling in not only the local New Yorkers but people from around the U.S. are flying in. The city during that week is going to be in chaos.

Only about 1.5 - 2 million people show up for the PR parade not 8 milion. There are only 8 million people living in all of NYC!

Regards,
Dave

suave1477
07-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Dave, well I was going by what reporters said last year of the average turn out of the parade. As far as the number of people who live in New York I agree but you have to understand how many people from around the world fly in for the PR Parade especially from Puerto Rico.
I know people who have family in PR and tell me themselves its like there biggest holiday where a good amount of people from there country fly here to New York for that parade.

I have also been to that parade many times and can vouch it is amazing how many people show up there.

I am not sure where you got the 1.5 - 2 mill from but anything is possible i just don't see personally myself how it can be that low.

Tedw9
07-08-2008, 05:18 PM

Suave,

Do you think the autograph lines will be that bad? I have the list of signers and was thinking I could score at least Fred Lynn and Killebrew. But if I have to stand for hours and hours, I may rethink that. I also want time to search dealers tables for a Ted Williams rookie, as well as take in everything else available. I'm gonna try to squeeze that into 8 hours.

suave1477
07-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Tedw yeah I think it will be that bad.

Add all these up:
1) Think about it free autographs!!
2) Players are not going to sit there all day signing
3) In New York, during one of the most significant festivities

It will be a mad house.

I am not saying your not going to get any but as I mentioned to someone else on this forum make sure you get there super early before the doors open so you are one of the first to get in so you'll have first crack at what ever is going on.

When things come up like this in New York, Concerts, Shows, Free Giveaways of some type, Major Events, Christmas Sales. New Yorkers will camp out the night before to make sure they get in first.

Again as I always say I could be wrong but I live here and I see how people react.

Your better off playing it safe.

Tedw9
07-08-2008, 06:48 PM
Suave

What you say makes sense. I wish I could be first in the door, but when I went to buy my ticket the earliest time available was 12 pm. I may be out of luck with autographs, but I can still scan the dealers looking for a Ted card. And there are pleanty of other things going on that I can walk around and enjoy.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. :)

cjclong
07-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Does anyone have a list of autograph signers or where it can be found?

DonFan23
07-09-2008, 08:43 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/nyy/components/fan_forum/asg/fanfest_pops/legends_signing_schedule.jsp

2008 DHL All-Star FanFest: Legends Signing Schedule
(Subject to change)

Friday, July 11

Luis Aparicio
Rollie Fingers
George Foster
Fred Lynn
Jack McDowell
Jeff Nelson
Mickey Rivers
Steve Sax
Bob Watson
Roy White
Dick WilliamsSaturday, July 12

Orlando Cepeda
Rollie Fingers
Oscar Gamble
Ferguson Jenkins
Harmon Killebrew
Fred Lynn
Gaylord Perry
Robin Roberts
Steve Sax
Billy WilliamsSunday, July 13

Luis Aparicio
Bob Feller
Ferguson Jenkins
Harmon Killebrew
Juan Marichal
Gaylord Perry
Robin Roberts
Art Shamsky
Earl Weaver
Billy Williams
Dick WilliamsMonday, July 14

Gary Carter
Orlando Cepeda
Andre Dawson
Bob Feller
Rollie Fingers
Goose Gossage
Tony Gwynn
Juan Marichal
Paul Molitor
Earl WeaverTuesday, July 15

Ron Blomberg
Ed Charles
Andre Dawson
Tommy John
Ed Kranepool
Tim Leary
Graig Nettles
Mike Torres

cjclong
07-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the list.

suave1477
07-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Its funny its all the same guys that signed around here a 100 times already for either free or next to nothing.
I wish they would of had some real big name players that you normally do not see.

marcab
07-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Anybody want to snag me Paul Molitor, Tony Gwynn and Andre Dawson on Monday?

HH
07-10-2008, 11:41 PM
I went to the Fanfest last year in San Francisco, and the autograph lines were pretty long. I went during the weekend so I'm sure that was a huge factor. They had 2 players signing at a time for around 2 hours, then they would leave, and 2 others would take their place. The problem was the line was over 2 hours long so if you got in line for one group of signers, it would end up being someone else when you got up there. The worst part was they didnt have a schedule posted as to who was signing when, and the ushers didnt know either so you had no idea who you were going to get. They did allow you to step aside and be one of the first in line for the next group of signers if you decided to not get the current signers once you got to the front of the line, but it was a risk since you didnt know who was next. They also had an MLB authenticator on site putting holograms on your autographs for free which was pretty cool, but it also slowed the line down even more. The convention was pretty disappointing as far as shopping. There were 3 floors but only about 10 dealer tables total. It was mostly exhibits and corporate sponsors with family activities. Hopefully you'll have a better Fanfest in New York. The video batting cages were pretty sweet.