PDA

View Full Version : Game Used MLB Hats

Dewey2007
07-06-2008, 10:33 AM
I've never bought a game used MLB hat and I was wondering if there is any special tagging that differentiates the hat a player wears from the one's you can buy in a store?

Thinking of buying one and I was just curious.

Thanks,
Dewey

AWA85
07-06-2008, 12:13 PM
From what I have seen, there is NO difference! I got a bum deal on the only hat I have ever purchased, and would just recommend that you know or trust and research the seller. Try and have an idea if the size would match up with the player and his characteristics.

mr.miracle
07-06-2008, 07:05 PM
From what I have seen, there is NO difference! I got a bum deal on the only hat I have ever purchased, and would just recommend that you know or trust and research the seller. Try and have an idea if the size would match up with the player and his characteristics.

As far as I have always been able to tell, that is correct, there is no difference. If you collect items from a superstar, you are really taking a huge gamble unless it does come from a VERY reliable source, that someone did not visit the local team store, add the players uniform number to the brim of the hat and wear it around for a couple of weeks to break it in and then turn it for sale as a game worn hat. This is why I have stayed away from game used hats, they are simply too risky for my taste.

Thanks

Dewey2007
07-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It's far from a superstar player's hat and is not that big of a risk price wise if the seller accepts my Best Offer so that is the only reason I'll take a chance on it. I tend to stay away from these types of items for the exact reason that Brett stated. Anyone can get a hat, sweat it up, write a number under the bill and call it game used.

joelsabi
07-06-2008, 09:12 PM
I've never bought a game used MLB hat and I was wondering if there is any special tagging that differentiates the hat a player wears from the one's you can buy in a store?

Thinking of buying one and I was just curious.

Thanks,
Dewey

making a offer on the soriano aaa clipper hat looks tempting.

hmmm i just saw a ken griffey christmas worn hat card for sale. wonder what other christmas hats are in the set.

suave1477
07-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Dewey this is true but it also depends on the player.

When players write there numbers under the brim, if you know there hand writing you would be able to have an idea if its really that players cap.
Or if there is something the player usually writes under the brim a "saying" a "qoute from the bible" things like that also help.

I have seen a couple of Cano game used caps where he writes Mother and Father.

orioles03
07-06-2008, 09:24 PM
i just went through all my hats i got from all the visiting teams i bat boyed for and there is no difference the equipment manger gave me the same hats he gives all the players i have at least one hat from every american league team they are the same hats you can buy in the stores.
orioles03@verizon.net

Dewey2007
07-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Well I just purchased my first and quite possibly last game used hat. It is a Joe Nelson K.C. Royals hat. Seller had good feeback and a believable story of how he acquired it. Said he got it on the last day of the '06 season at Tigers stadium when he asked Nelson for it after the game and he gave it to him.

It's unlikely folks are going to waste their time faking Nelson hats so I took the plunge. If they are faking Nelson hats then this country is in worse shape then I think it is :D Anyhow, I appreciate all the feedback from folks. Happy Collecting!!

joelsabi
07-11-2008, 08:29 PM
making a offer on the soriano aaa clipper hat looks tempting.

hmmm i just saw a ken griffey christmas worn hat card for sale. wonder what other christmas hats are in the set.

nice pickup tony!

godwulf
07-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Watching the Phillies overcome my DBacks tonight, I decided that it was time I let go of my Shane Victorino 2005 Team U.S.A. cap, worn during the CONCEBE Olympic qualifying tournament that year. I just have to dig the team LOA out of my files, and I'll probably get it listed this weekend.

When I bought it from the team, I really hadn't heard of SV, but I wanted a cap from the tournament, and they hadn't yet listed the one I really wanted - DBacks prospect Bill Murphy's, which I later got - and the Victorino cap is unusual in that it has the Canadian team pin stuck in it, which I think is a nice, personal touch; as in all international events these days, the players in that tournament traded pins, and sometimes wore them in their caps during games.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d930b3127ccec4c38361c8e300000040O02EbsmzVu0ZA9 vPhw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b8d930b3127ccec4c261cb694400000040O02EbsmzVu0ZA9 vPhw/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D480/ry%3D320/

3arod13
07-12-2008, 08:41 AM
nice pickup tony!

Yes, awesome pickup!