PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Best Offer thoughts

mr.miracle
07-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Hello Forum Readers:

I know a similar thread was discussed regarding Buy it Now on Ebay vs. Best Offer about a month or two ago but I could not readily locate it. Anyway, I have not used Best Offer for a long time due to the fact that every single time I put that up on Ebay, the wise guy's start coming out and sending in ridiculous offers wasting your time like $.01 $.99 etc. on items that you are listing for hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Of course, as soon as I list something with Best Offer, some idiot comes out of the woodwork and within a couple of days I have an offer for less than 5% of the total Buy it now price.

I don't know about anyone else, but when someone has a Buy it now price and also a best offer, I view this as a nogotiating opportunity but not to be a complete moron and waste someone's time. Obviously unless I am so incredibly desperate for cash I am not going to take an offer for 50 or more percent off of my Buy it now price much less accept $1.00 as the winning bid. I typically will put in a Best Offer price somewhere between 10 - 20 % off of the Buy it now price and see what happens. More often than not, I would say 85% of the time, the person will accept that offer. I am not sure why that bugs me so much, I guess because it seems quite juvenile to waste anyone's time with a stupid offer like that. On a positive note related to that issue, I recently had a very expensive item on ebay with a Best Offer option where the buyer submitted an offer at approximately 8% off of my Buy it Now Price. In ten plus years on ebay, that is the first time that anyone has ever submitted a reasonable offer like that which is why I have generally eliminated that option from all of my auctions to weed out the garbage.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Thanks

Yankwood
07-05-2008, 09:49 AM
It all depends on how much the seller is asking. Many times the seller is fishing and puts the BIN price at twice what you know they usually sell for. In this case, I might put in an offer that is 75% of 50% of the BIN price. I believe that would then make my offer 37.5% of the BIN price. After a couple days of not getting the amount asked for the seller will accept. It happens because people who might be interested in the item at a lesser price will see the BIN price so high that he (she) figures the buyer will never accept an offer that far beneath the BIN price. I have never offered $.99 or a dollar for a thousand dollar item, but you'd be surprised at what the seller might accept.

mr.miracle
07-05-2008, 09:59 AM
It all depends on how much the seller is asking. Many times the seller is fishing and puts the BIN price at twice what you know they usually sell for. In this case, I might put in an offer that is 75% of 50% of the BIN price. I believe that would then make my offer 37.5% of the BIN price. After a couple days of not getting the amount asked for the seller will accept. It happens because people who might be interested in the item at a lesser price will see the BIN price so high that he (she) figures the buyer will never accept an offer that far beneath the BIN price. I have never offered $.99 or a dollar for a thousand dollar item, but you'd be surprised at what the seller might accept.

I will have to remember that one going forward. Maybe I am being too generous with my initial offer. Of course when previous BO's have been rejected by the seller we cannot see what those offers were. It could be they were also $.01 cent or something equally ludicrous or maybe the seller is holding out for a better offer.

godwulf
07-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Is dealing with silly "offers" really that time-consuming? Or is it just a matter of ignoring an email? I haven't sold anything for years, and have never used that feature (aside from making a few offers, myself) so I honestly don't know.

mr.miracle
07-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Is dealing with silly "offers" really that time-consuming? Or is it just a matter of ignoring an email? I haven't sold anything for years, and have never used that feature (aside from making a few offers, myself) so I honestly don't know.

I believe you have several options in all actuality. You can either completely ignore them and they expire in I think 48 or 72 hours. You can simply choose to decline them manually, and I believe there is a new function (actually not really sure how new this is as I just started doing this again after a year or two of not using Best Offer) that allows you to auto-decline based on a set price or auto-accept as well based upon price. I suppose it is more a matter of disbelief that people are so incredibly stupid but then again, my general opinion is that 98% of the American public is that incredibly stupid so I suppose I should not be in the least bit suprised by the geniuses that frequent ebay on a daily basis.

Thanks

joelsabi
07-05-2008, 12:20 PM
there was a alex rodriguez equipment bag with BIN at $650 i think and he accepted an offer of $300 so anything is possible.

i also not that the seller can put an automatic decline amount since once i make an offer and was automatically decline. so i guess its possible to do a reverse phishing for the lowest possible offer he will accept if you notice that your first offer was automatically declined.

i dont think there is anything wrong offering a amount that you seem is fair that is below 50% of the BIN price.

mariner_gamers
07-05-2008, 01:14 PM
The last 2 bats I purchased off ebay the seller accepted 60% off the buy it now and the other was 50% off. That being said it was for items I had seen out there for quite a while. In reality I probably got about a 20% discount off the going market value because the Buy it Now was inflated considerably. On another note I offered someone a low ball price on an item and I was declined. After about 4 weeks I was able to purchase the item off the same seller with a no reserve auction for half of what I had previously offered. Any how I dig it since it can add so much more to surfing ebay than just wait till the last few minutes and bid.

Thanks!
Davis
demburey@netzero.net

mr.miracle
07-05-2008, 01:33 PM
The last 2 bats I purchased off ebay the seller accepted 60% off the buy it now and the other was 50% off. That being said it was for items I had seen out there for quite a while. In reality I probably got about a 20% discount off the going market value because the Buy it Now was inflated considerably. On another note I offered someone a low ball price on an item and I was declined. After about 4 weeks I was able to purchase the item off the same seller with a no reserve auction for half of what I had previously offered. Any how I dig it since it can add so much more to surfing ebay than just wait till the last few minutes and bid.

Thanks!
Davis
demburey@netzero.net

I think that this point is also one of the keys. I generally never inflate the asking price so most of the time my items when listed are either equal to or even often lower than recent major auction house prices. I generally don't just throw a price out there randomely. I like to research what recent ebay and auction house pricing has brought in over the past six months to one year if there are examples of similar items available. Don't get me wrong, everyone wants a deal however I am wondering if you do sell on ebay do you ever find this to be a major problem with the best offer or do I just get all the lucky ones? I am talking about the stupid offers of $.01 or $.99 on a $1000 or above auction.

As it was pointed out earlier I simply could ignore these offers let them expire or simply decline the offer and recognize it for what it is.

Thanks

mdube16
07-05-2008, 01:59 PM
I use the best offer feature quite a bit. It has to be for an item that has a hard to gauge value (low numbered cards, unique game used items ect.) You set a high buy it now price and let the offers come. You can set up to automatically decline offers lower than a certain price so you arent bothered by garbage offers. I have even been surprised and had people pay the full offer price.
Again the key is the type of item. An 85 topps McGwire wont work.

David
07-05-2008, 02:10 PM
I have used the Best Offer option a few times and received fair offers, two which I accepted. I would say the offers were on the low end of what I was looking for, but did fall within the range of what i was looking for. I have heard other sellers complain about ridiculously low offers, so you are not the only one to complain about that.

I once turned down an offer on a football jersey, as I thought it was a bit low. When I turn around and auctioned the item, it sold for about $10 less than the offer.

I think it's important to not have a ridiculously high ask price, because buyers might not take you seriously. It's fine to have a high ask price, as it's the high after all, but it shouldn't be ridiculous.

If you say 'Thank you for the offer, but I'll pass" to each off, no matter how silly, you will end the conversation on good standing. It's always good to end the conversation politely, as the person might be a future customer or have a friend who will be a future customer. It does you and your business no practical good to insult the person, even if he is a jerk.

David
07-05-2008, 02:33 PM
One thing I forgot is I believe the Best Offer has an option where offers below a low price of your settting automatically get rejected. The ridiculous offers get an automating rejection saying their bid was too low. If you hate ridiculous offers that waste your time, you can consider the automated rejection a fitting reply to a ridiculous offer. The ridiculous bidder doesn't even get the satisfaction of being rejected by the seller. He's rejected by a computer program.

mr.miracle
07-05-2008, 02:40 PM
One thing I forgot is I believe the Best Offer has an option where offers below a low price of your settting automatically get rejected. The ridiculous offers get an automating rejection saying their bid was too low. If you hate ridiculous offers that waste your time, you can consider the automated rejection a fitting reply to a ridiculous offer. The ridiculous bidder doesn't even get the satisfaction of being rejected by the seller. He's rejected by a computer program.

Can I add a special message for the person putting the offer in??? :D

allstarsplus
07-05-2008, 02:50 PM

Brett - Great thread!

David - I now sell all the time with BuyItNow w/ Best Offer and use the Auto Decline mostly to get rid of the guy that will bid $1 on a $4,000 item.

This way the only Best Offer emails I get will be the serious buyers that deserve either an immediate "Accept" or a "Counteroffer".

I have had 3 successful Best Offers I have accepted in the past 30 days for auctions all over $2,000+.

By the looks of my auctions, the Best Offer is becoming popular!

mdube16
08-25-2008, 08:23 PM
I had to resurect this thread.
I have a signed Reggie White Packers jersey up on ebay now. Its at a 1192 Buy it now or best offer. The BIN is high, but I just got an offer from someone brand new to ebay at $5. I dont get it. I declined with a "Im not sure what you were trying to offer, but you are welcome to place another."

trsent
08-25-2008, 08:43 PM
I had to resurect this thread.
I have a signed Reggie White Packers jersey up on ebay now. Its at a 1192 Buy it now or best offer. The BIN is high, but I just got an offer from someone brand new to ebay at $5. I dont get it. I declined with a "Im not sure what you were trying to offer, but you are welcome to place another."

Why people use the Best Offer option and then do not put in auto-decline figures, say $500.00 for your jersey, so that the stupid offers do not get you pissed off in your mailbox.

It takes a second, and an auto-decline at even lower than what you are looking for is a good idea to get the morons out of your mailbox.

otismalibu
08-25-2008, 08:52 PM
The BIN is high, but I just got an offer from someone brand new to ebay at $5. I dont get it. I declined with a "Im not sure what you were trying to offer, but you are welcome to place another."

If they respond, see if their email address shows up. If it does, go to Paypal and click Request Money and then make up an invoice for the full auction price (or add a few zeros to his offer) and send it to them. Get creative. You may be able to make the newb soil himself. :)

ifirocked
08-25-2008, 08:54 PM
what i don't like are sellers who don't counter offer. you place an offer of $700 on a $1000 BIN and they just decline. if your really looking to get $850 just make a counter offer and say i need this amount.

BergerKing22784
08-25-2008, 09:01 PM
I like the make an offer feature. I just used it to buy some Braves Nationals tickets for this fridays game! $216 face value for $118! Gotta love the fact you Natty fans or lack their of haha.

bigtime59
08-25-2008, 10:20 PM
I've found that most other buyers use the "best offer" as an opportunity to lowball the seller...really, really lowball the seller.
I had a jersey that I'd paid $90 for, listed with a $100 BIN. Kept getting "best offers" of less than $50. Fun week. Too bad I won't get it back.

Mark
bigtime39@aol.com

frikativ54
08-25-2008, 10:36 PM
Well, I had a Biggio BGS 10 Upper Deck rookie card from their first set up for auction, and I got a $1 BO. It made me really mad, because my asking price was $299.99. I have done that a few times myself, to be honest, as a way of saying, "Seller, are you out of your mind. That isn't worth anything close to the BIN." Luckily, in the case of the Biggio card, a guy came along and offered $255. I use the BIN/BO option a lot, because I find that there will frequently be a buyer who wants an item badly enough that he/s/he will offer a good chunk of change for it. Many of the times I've come away with a great result from this type of fixed price listing.

geoff
08-25-2008, 11:04 PM
I have been using this method for the past Month or so and had mostly Low Ball Offers so far except a few Jerseys that I sold to a Person here.He gave me fare Market Value for the Jerseys.I have a few things up right now and am waiting for the Low Offers to come in so I can have a nice Laugh.

intheminors
08-25-2008, 11:55 PM
I personally like the Best Offer feature. I always use the Auto Decline and it seems to work out in the end.

As a matter of fact, I pulled 5-6 jerseys that I said I would never sell out of my collection and am getting ready to put them up for auction. I kept getting e-mails about these jerseys and I finally figured I would let the people put their money where their mouth was.

Plus, if they don't sell for what I want them to, I can always put them right back in my collection.

Just my two cents.

Kyle

trsent
08-26-2008, 12:31 AM
I like the make an offer feature. I just used it to buy some Braves Nationals tickets for this fridays game! $216 face value for $118! Gotta love the fact you Natty fans or lack their of haha.

I bought WWE Raw in Chicago tickets a week ago for $65.00 for $140.00 (with Ticketmaster fees) tickets the day of the show. Asking price was $140.00, I offered $65.00 since I was offered similar tickets 10 rows back in the same section, he countered $120.00 and I once again offered $65.00 since it was four hours to show-time.

I guess that was good enough for him. I think you can buy a lot of tickets day of event of eBay for quite reasonable prices since StubHub is not reasonable for last minute purchases.