PDA

View Full Version : Ebay phishing scam email

metsbats
07-02-2008, 02:48 PM
I just received what looked like a legit email from an ebay member inquiring if i'm still interested in an item ( a PDA device). I was never looking for one nor inquired about a PDA device. This email went to my personal email address which is hooked up to ebay. The link in the email prompted me to login to ebay which I DID NOT. I opened up another browser and logged into ebay and this inquiry was not in the ebay messages.

Beware of these ebay phishing emails!

David

skyking26
07-02-2008, 04:20 PM
This is a regular scam perpetuated by people. Common ploy is to get you to log in, thus they gain your ebay access and they take over your account. Years ago I fell for it and they were using my name to sell computers overseas. My brother fell for it years ago and they were selling something big too. Ebay will NEVER send you and email requesting you to login...

jppopma
07-02-2008, 08:19 PM
The easiest way to check these phishing e-mails is to just hold your cursor over any of the links that they want you to click. A small box will open and show the full web address that it will take you to. You will notice that many of these are foreign web addresses.

Another idea is to only reply to those message that come through the ebay message center on the site.

Glad you didn't click on it or send your information. The fake websites they make up look just like an Ebay sign on screen.

nyjetsfan14
07-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Any message e-Bay sends to your e-mail will also end up in your "My Messages" inbox of your "My eBay." I just delete any e-Bay correspondence from my e-mail and then check "My Messages" inbox, that way I know the correspondence is legit.

camarokids
07-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Any message e-Bay sends to your e-mail will also end up in your "My Messages" inbox of your "My eBay." I just delete any e-Bay correspondence from my e-mail and then check "My Messages" inbox, that way I know the correspondence is legit.

BINGO !

That's what I do as well .

As a matter of fact , I rarely will open anything up in an email .

Unless I know the sender , even then I am suspicious ....

metsbats
07-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks for all the additional info especially from jppopma.

nyjetsfan14 you hit it on the head too. I checked "my ebay" and didn't see this email and knew instantly it was bogus.

Always going to "my ebay" to get ebay messages should be standard practice.

David

joelsabi
07-02-2008, 09:56 PM
best action is to report this to ebay so they can have the website shut down. forward it to ebay for them to investigate.

jppopma
07-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Joel makes another good point on forwarding these to Ebay. I'm not sure how much work they do on them, but it can't hurt.

You can forward them to Spoof@ebay.com . Likewise, if you get the Paypal phishing emails, Spoof@paypal.com . They will reply with a couple of emails (they are generic and not really worth reading).