PDA

View Full Version : Dunn Is Done With Maple Bats

chakes89
07-01-2008, 10:49 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080701&content_id=3042052&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

It looks like the players are starting their own ban on Maple bats

It will be interesting to see if other players follow Dunn and switch to Ash

thomecollector
07-02-2008, 02:46 AM
It looks like Thome has been doing that for almost a month. It appears that he has gone back to an ash M356 . Only this time they are Blonde ones instead of Black. i guess that'll throw the whole BP bat thing out the window. Since he only used them for Bp in the past.:eek:

BMH
07-02-2008, 06:02 AM
I've got an extra 500+ pcs. on the books for Ash since Monday. Jr. also switched back during the same game when he hit his HR. They will stop complaining about the breakage in Maple, but they seem to have forgotten that Ash flakes.

metsbats
07-02-2008, 08:38 AM
It's good to see the players taking a stance on maple bats given the publicized dangers of the way they break and become sharp projectiles.

I've never seen a bat get implaled in the field like Marlon Anderson's bat did during a game in Florida.

MLB and the players feel it only a matter of time someone gets killed either on the field or off the field in the stands.

Better deadwood then dead people.

Brian I read on MLB.com if they do ban maple bats that HB will not be able to keep up with the demand to produce enough ash replacments and this will lead to a bat shortage. It this a valid concern with you?

David

thomecollector
07-02-2008, 01:55 PM
I've got an extra 500+ pcs. on the books for Ash since Monday. Jr. also switched back during the same game when he hit his HR. They will stop complaining about the breakage in Maple, but they seem to have forgotten that Ash flakes.

BMH,
Do you know for sure if Thome has started to order all blonde ash M356, or are there more of the black ones as well. Thanks in advance. Roger:D

Jags Fan Dan
07-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Well, he's not that done with them. I was at the game last night and he used a black m9 every at bat. And with the homer he hit, he may not be ready to switch back to ash just yet!

BMH
07-03-2008, 08:24 AM
It's good to see the players taking a stance on maple bats given the publicized dangers of the way they break and become sharp projectiles.

I've never seen a bat get implaled in the field like Marlon Anderson's bat did during a game in Florida.

MLB and the players feel it only a matter of time someone gets killed either on the field or off the field in the stands.

Better deadwood then dead people.

Brian I read on MLB.com if they do ban maple bats that HB will not be able to keep up with the demand to produce enough ash replacments and this will lead to a bat shortage. It this a valid concern with you?

David

We'll be fine with a decision going either way.

skyking26
07-03-2008, 09:50 AM
I think Dunn is one of the first guys to publically say he would turn his bat on maple. Someone wrote that he was still swinging a maple for last night's homer. According to the article, he met with bat reps and his ash shipment won't be in til early next week.

When Dunn is on, it does not matter what bat he is swinging, it will be gone. With him, it is just a matter of him getting it. Will be interesting to see where he ends up next year as the Reds have not tried to negotiate with him. He is a free agent after this season.

BMH
07-03-2008, 10:27 AM
He'll be getting his Ash bats today along with Griffy and Hairston.

We've heard from a few EM's that MLB is going to use the "authenticator's" who collect broken bats and attach the MLB holograms to start tracking Maple breakage. Funny part is Vince from the WhiteSox called this morning to say the guy collecting bats last night called him this morning to ask whether or not the broken bat he got from Thome was Ash or Maple.

I'm glad to see MLB is putting the best people in position to do this.

yanks12025
07-03-2008, 10:28 AM
BMH,
Please send me a email at boblee89@yahoo.com