PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Young Collectors

frikativ54
06-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Many of you know that I'm only 23, and I have been only actively collecting game-used stuff since last August. I got my first piece of game-used memorabilia at an Astros vs. Braves game in 7th grade. My Dad took me to the Astrodome back in 1998 as a belated birthday present, and he bought be a Bagwell cracked gamer, which we had him sign before a ballgame. Similarly, I acquired a game-used baseball from Bagwell in 2003 in Arizona, when the Astros came into Phoenix to play the D-Backs. Now, I feel like I am taking an active interest in the hobby, and Bagwell collecting in specific. Bagwell is my favorite player, but I do have a Hunter Pence AA game-used baseball bat.

My question to you guys is: what would you recommend to me at this stage in my collecting career? Do you agree with the one-player focus, which I have largely limited myself to because of cash constraints? Would you collect only a certain game-used item (like cleats, for example)? As you could have figured out by my postings, game-used cleats are my favorite items to have of players. I thought it would be fun to pursue a game-used cleats collection, but I have difficulty finding them. What did you guys collect when you were young, as far as game-used? Has your game-used collecting focus shifted through the years? What would you recommend to a college kid like me who wants to enjoy the hobby?

Thanks for reading this.

MSpecht
06-30-2008, 01:54 AM
Here's one idea---

Go with a collection centering around a single team such as the 1960 World Champion Pirates, or the powerhouse 1961 Yankees. In your case, possibly the 2005 N L Champion Astros. The value in doing that would be such things as:

First, it would allow you to collect a wide variety of items (jerseys, cleats, bats, hatrs, helmets, signed balls, ticket stubs, etc etc) that have something to do with that team, making your collection varied and interesting but still with a theme.

Second, it would allow you to continue your focus on Bagwell, as a member of that team.

Third, it is a recent team so items connected with it should be relatively easy to find, and relatively inexpensive (in the grand scheme of things.) If the money isn't there for a Bagwell '05 GU jersey, a (much) cheaper '05 Viscaino or Burke fills the bill nicely.

Fourth, there are a sufficient number of future HOF players (i.e. Biggio, Bagwell, Clemens )and current star players (Berkman, Pettitte) on that team to be able to invest in some high-end, high-quality items when you get the opportunity,

Finally, it still presents a challenge and "the thrill of the hunt." For instance, you will find Bagwell and Biggio bats all over the place, but how long will it take to find a GU Humberto Quintero bat, or especially a Todd Self gamer? (I am still looking for GU Eddie Miller and Doug Gwosdz bats for my 1984 NL Champion Padres team collection.)

Just one idea of many different ways to frame a collection.

Mike jackitout7@aol.com

both-teams-played-hard
06-30-2008, 04:17 AM
You should concentrate on common players. Doing so, authenticity is rarely questioned. Forget about re-sell value or investment. Collect for the sake of collecting! I've been collecting for almost 25 years and I care about jersey styles and teams! The players are an afterthought.

hiramman
06-30-2008, 07:24 AM
I grew up in Mississippi with out a Major League team, so I collected baseball cards and wrote players for autographs back in the mid-70's. My closest team was the Braves and we made a trip to Atlanta at least once a summer to attend several games. The Braves were terrible and Mickey Mantle was my favorite player, so I became a huge Yankee fan. I got my first Yankee game-used when I was in high school. (a 1960 Bob Turley pinstripe flannel & a Dave Winfield game-used cap)

While in college, I shifted away from baseball cards & started collecting bats from the 1985 Yankee team as well as other team's game-used jerseys & caps. I started collecting other team jerseys mainly because Yankee jerseys at that time were tough to come-by so they were very expensive.

I moved to Atlanta in the late 80's, so I started picking up Braves items. Though I still love the Yankees and still have several game-used jerseys & caps I changed my collecting focus to the Atlanta Braves due to their locality and availability. Plus it's more fun to show off items to friends when it's a local team. You have a room full of Braves jerseys, caps, bats, autographs, & photos in Atlanta and people think your a huge Braves fan and that it's neat. You have a room of Angels stuff in Atlanta and you get a yawn and they think you're obsessed.

Collect what you enjoy. I enjoy finding items, searching for documentation/photo matches, and researching items.

eGameUsed
06-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Frik,

I agree with Mike. As you know, I collect Astros, 500 HR Bats, and 3000 Hit Bats. I used to collect any and everything of current star players. I sense focused on the team I grew up watching and the key players from the Astros. With events such as the 2005 NL Championship and 2004 All-Star Event, I have been able to focus even further on specific years.

You will find that your collecting interests will change as time goes by. It may go from one player to another, or even to different teams. But the key is to collect what you enjoy and don't worry about future investment so much. If you do that, you will likely end up with a collection os speculation.

Hope this helps!

metsbats
06-30-2008, 09:34 AM
You may find that your collecting focus will gradually upgrade itself. We all start with common players the lower end collectibles. I started out with common Met players and realized it would be impossible to collect every bat out there and having a Joe Orsulak bat didn't really have any significance. That's when I decided to focus on the Mets World Championship teams. Fortunately the Mets don't win the WS often. I can't imagine cost and effort it would be to start a collection of Yankee World Championship team items.

I've gotten to the point in my collecting where quantity is less important and getting high end quality pieces are more important. So I've sold most of my 86 jerseys to focus only on post season WS/NLCS bats and unique one of kind items like homerun or hit bats.

As we get advanced into the hobby specialization and getting quality higher end items becomes more important in my opinion.

David

bigtruck260
06-30-2008, 09:46 AM
I collect my favorite players. Not all of my favorites are superstars - or even stars. I find myself going a year without buying anything...and this has allowed my to save the cash for more expensive stuff.

Since I am primarily only a bat collector, this also allows me to upgrade bats (cracked to uncracked, etc.)

MANY of my items have come in trade with others who have similar interests, so up to this point, I am happy with my collection focus.

BIGSTIG
06-30-2008, 10:33 AM
I am relatively young as well, just turned 29. I started seriously collecting appx 3 years ago. Unfortunately I am a die hard cubs fan, and that is who I choose to collect. Cubs items are some of the hardest items to find, because when people get these items they don't like to let go.

When I started I was buying anything and everything. From Matt Murton bats to Rich Hill cleats, to a Sandberg game jersey. I started talking to a fellow GU member, and he had some good advice...Buy what you can afford if it makes you happy, but try and go for quality over quantity.

Yeah it was cool when I had like 20 bats on the wall, but when they were players like Scott Mclain, Jeremy Burnitz, Jose macias etc. I realized those bats at $40 - $50 a piece = $1,000 I could have a Sandberg, or a Dawson, or a Grace. And thats what I did.

I made a list of 20 players 16 of my favorites from my childhood - present, and then of course the "dream list" Santo, Banks, Jenkins, and Williams. My goal is to find jerseys, cleats, bats and hats from all position players, and jerseys, cleats and gloves from the pitchers. I now primarily try to stick to this, but will now occasionally buy something else if I see it as something I might be able to trade with someone.

Hope that helped a little

AWA85
06-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Everyone is different but one thing I am learning quickly is the quality over quanity statement. When I first started I was buying any Reds bat or item I could find, even a Juan Castro hat :rolleyes: . Now I sold many of the lower end items and focus on some of the players that stayed with the Reds for more than 4 years and made a larger impact on the team. Obviously I make exceptions for the Joey Votto's and Jay Bruce who I think will be on the team for years. Getting rid of the Wily Mo Pena, Felipe Lopez and other items for a Jay Bruce or Adam Dunn item is well worth it to myself. That is just my thought and everyone is different, so you have to do what makes you happy.

Nathan
06-30-2008, 04:27 PM
Many of you know that I'm only 23, and I have been only actively collecting game-used stuff since last August. I got my first piece of game-used memorabilia at an Astros vs. Braves game in 7th grade. My Dad took me to the Astrodome back in 1998 as a belated birthday present, and he bought be a Bagwell cracked gamer, which we had him sign before a ballgame. Similarly, I acquired a game-used baseball from Bagwell in 2003 in Arizona, when the Astros came into Phoenix to play the D-Backs. Now, I feel like I am taking an active interest in the hobby, and Bagwell collecting in specific. Bagwell is my favorite player, but I do have a Hunter Pence AA game-used baseball bat.

My question to you guys is: what would you recommend to me at this stage in my collecting career? Do you agree with the one-player focus, which I have largely limited myself to because of cash constraints? Would you collect only a certain game-used item (like cleats, for example)? As you could have figured out by my postings, game-used cleats are my favorite items to have of players. I thought it would be fun to pursue a game-used cleats collection, but I have difficulty finding them. What did you guys collect when you were young, as far as game-used? Has your game-used collecting focus shifted through the years? What would you recommend to a college kid like me who wants to enjoy the hobby?

Thanks for reading this.

Don't go too nuts too soon. There's nothing worse than having to move an item (or many items) to pay for normal expenses that life throws at you.

That said, this is a terrific buyers market. And unfortunately, baseball is rife with fraud; this goes double for recent and current players.