PDA

View Full Version : Game Worn Jersey Priceguide?

Spiezio23
03-03-2006, 09:14 PM
I can't imagine that it'd be an easy task to accomplish but is it possible to come up with one, or something similar.

For the dealers/sellers of game used jerseys, where do you derive your prices from? Do you just come up with some whole number that sounds good?

I have a jersey I'm considering moving because of another one that has come up I would like to have but no idea where to start with guessing the value/selling price.

Any suggestions?

trsent
03-03-2006, 09:24 PM
I can't imagine that it'd be an easy task to accomplish but is it possible to come up with one, or something similar.

For the dealers/sellers of game used jerseys, where do you derive your prices from? Do you just come up with some whole number that sounds good?

I have a jersey I'm considering moving because of another one that has come up I would like to have but no idea where to start with guessing the value/selling price.

Any suggestions?

You'll find similar prices from what similar items have sold for on eBay or in major auction houses. Any guides ever produced often are not realistic to what final price you can sell a similar item for.

If you wish to let us know the item you are thinking about selling, maybe the group on this forum can help you determine a price.

Best of Luck!

suave1477
03-03-2006, 11:26 PM
I agree with spezio as I have said in another post. There should be some kind of general market value price guide.

Here is something for you to think about, everyone says go to past auctions get an idea of what you can sell your item for. As this does give you an idea but is still truly unrealistic. If you go to a past couple of auctions and someone myself has overbidded on a few Strawberry jerseys doesnt nesscarily make it a good platform for you to judge bcuz now you may think its worth more to peple then what it really is and meanwhile it was just me a few times making sure i got it.

Think of it like this!!! why cant there be a price guide there is one for baseball cards / they are both hobbies, they both go according to demand and they both go according to popularity of the player!! collecting a jersey is not that much different from collecting a baseball card!!!

Robert Sanders
03-05-2006, 12:49 AM
Think of it like this!!! why cant there be a price guide there is one for baseball cards / they are both hobbies, they both go according to demand and they both go according to popularity of the player!! collecting a jersey is not that much different from collecting a baseball card!!!

However, keep in mind that both the size of the supply and the size of the demand, not to mention the affordability factor, is much greater for baseball cards (and hence much more easy to predict) than it is for game worn baseball jerseys. Remove one or two keen buyers from the sale of a particular baseball card and that will likely not even cause a ripple in the market. Remove one or two keen players from a Strawberry jersey auction and that could very well result in you not needing to 'over-bid' in order to get it. Also, remove your bidding when you eventually decide to auction off your Strawberry jersey and you might end up being terribly disappointed by the hammer price.

Robert

Spiezio23
03-05-2006, 06:43 PM
I guess there's too many variables that come into play but a system to log prices that jerseys have sold would be good. Something like that would be very time consuming for all players/teams. I had a log of Mariners jerseys that had sold over a 2 year period with detailed info on each and pictures if avail. Unfortunatly a bad hard drive and a wiped out backup left the data being lost.

It still leaves the question to the sellers, if there is no sales of a particular jersey/player in the last 12 months, or even last 2 years, how do you figure out your price?

The jersey in question;

2005 Road Gray Seattle Mariners Shigetoshi Hasegawa
Decent wear throughout and properly tagged for a 2005 Majestic Gamer.

I haven't seen any sales of his jerseys at all in the past and have no idea how to price such a jersey on the secondary market as I'm normaly not a seller. Leland's declined to accept it into their upcoming auction because it wasn't worth the $1500 minimum, nor was it "interesting" enough to list(for items not meeting the minimum). I understand it's not an Ichiro, but it's not a Hideki Irabu either, how a jersey from a decent japanese player from his last MLB season isn't interesting is beyond me. Yet, a Zarley Zalapski common Calgary Flames jersey is pretty dang interesting enough to list and sell for $350.

I am interested in finding a market value of the above said jersey but have no qualms over keeping it either, so it might be avail. for sale/trade but I'll take it to the sale section if that happens.

-Jeremy

suave1477
03-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Jeremy i think you already came up with a general idea price for your jersey. You said it yourself he is not an ichiro but better then hideki irabu, I am not familiar with your player, but obviously you know how good he is. So I would try to come up with a price by putting it somewhere in between the price of both that you mentioned. Start it off a little to the low side and see where the public puts it at.

EXAMPLE
If an ichiro is normally selling for $1000

and if a irabu sells for $200

I would say try listing yours for around $400 or so. This is just an example!!