PDA

View Full Version : A Real Keepsake

frikativ54
06-28-2008, 02:28 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Arizona-Diamonbacks-Berkman-Alternate-Jersey_W0QQitemZ110265618984QQihZ001QQcategoryZ248 97QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It'll put a smile on your face.

Vintagedeputy
06-28-2008, 09:05 AM
wishful thinking?

godwulf
06-28-2008, 03:49 PM
As a DBacks collector with a fondness for oddball stuff, that's actually kind of tempting.

A few years, I was buying some bats from a Rockies clubhouse guy, and he mentioned that Luke Allen had gotten in a shipment of Louisville Slugger Model C271s with the wrong team name - 'Arizona Diamondbacks' - on them, and had just gone ahead and used them anyway. He sold me a cracked one for $15.

OaklandAsFan
06-28-2008, 06:01 PM
not to hijack the thread but I tried to send you a PM Godwulf and it says you don't accept them.

What do you think about the bats that are for sale in the team store at the stadium?? Fairly good chance they are legit and not used by someone else?

I only ask because I found it quite hard to believe that I picked up a cracked Webb gamer for only $75 during the A's series. Overall the bats seem to be much cheaper than they have been in years past two Justin Upton bats for only $150 each seemed like a pretty good deal as well but I didn't have the scratch to get them.

godwulf
06-28-2008, 08:15 PM
not to hijack the thread but I tried to send you a PM Godwulf and it says you don't accept them.

What do you think about the bats that are for sale in the team store at the stadium?? Fairly good chance they are legit and not used by someone else?

I only ask because I found it quite hard to believe that I picked up a cracked Webb gamer for only $75 during the A's series. Overall the bats seem to be much cheaper than they have been in years past two Justin Upton bats for only $150 each seemed like a pretty good deal as well but I didn't have the scratch to get them.

Considering that they've had the same tired dozen or so overpriced bats in the Team Shop for the past season and a half, I am absolutely STUNNED (and very, very envious) to hear that something worth buying actually turned up there. A Webb bat for $75??? I rarely see one for four times that amount. Were these bats in the first deck Team Shop, or the one on the upper level?

godwulf
06-28-2008, 08:18 PM
But to answer your question, I'd have to see the markings and tape job to be able to make an educated guess about whether Webb probably used it.

I'm gonna have to make a trip down to the ballpark tomorrow, now. Do you remember what other bats were there?

OaklandAsFan
06-29-2008, 01:13 AM
There is no tape on it. I can take a pic of it and post it in the morning but I am tired (just got back from the circus with 4 kids)

They had 2 Justin Upton bats and to be honest thats all I remember oh yeah they had a Conor Jackson bat hanging up plus another Jackson that the name was completely broken off (compared tape jobs and markings) The Upton was the only ones that cost over $100.

These were in the lower level team store by the ticket windows 3rd base side over where the championship display is. I seem to remember a few years ago that the only bats that cost less thatn $200 were little used utility players so I was really surprised.

I do know that some other kid was very depressed that I picked up the bat between him seeing it and finding the prices of them ;)

godwulf
06-29-2008, 10:44 AM
I suspect that the Webb bat, and the Uptons, being out there was a fluke - and that the price was an error. They've had those same Jackson bats there since the beginning of last season. I'm pretty sure a guy I know already has the Upton bats and is in the process of trying to resell them.

Don't bother with the pic, unless you just want to. I'm curious, though, as to whether the bat has Webb's '17' on the knob.

OaklandAsFan
06-29-2008, 12:57 PM
yes it has 17 written on the knob

specifically it has C243 34 . 31 17 written on th knob and it has 17 written inside the cup in the top as well.

I assumed it was so cheap because there is a piece of the bat missing. Its on the backside behind the namplate part of the TPX stamp is missing.

godwulf
06-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Whoever prices those bats is usually incredibly optimistic, if that's the right word - I've seen them ask $150-$250 for a bat with half the barrel gone, if the player is popular. A few years ago, when they'd get ahold of a Luis Gonzalez bat, they'd get him to sign it and then put a $500 price tag on the thing. Piece missing or not, that $75 Webb bat is one of the best deals I've heard about lately.