PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this Reggie HR ball

jwasserman
06-25-2008, 07:08 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Reggie-Jackson-Autographed-Game-Used-Homerun-Baseball_W0QQitemZ250262755542QQihZ015QQcategoryZ2 7260QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not an expert but the signatures of both Reggie Jackson and Merrill on the COA seem off to me. Any thoughts on the authenticity? Have other Merrill pieces like this made it into the market?

I contacted the seller just to ask how they were obtained and he indicated directly from Merrill. Didn't seem at all disingenous so I'm just wondering on the board's opinion.

Vintagedeputy
06-25-2008, 07:28 PM
That doesnt look like my Reggie auto

ndevlin
06-25-2008, 07:54 PM
I would simply ask him what kind of ball it is first. Then, I would ask what commissioner is on the ball. But not too many questions all at once:)

If its the wrong league, and/or the wrong commissioner for that time frame, then that obviously tells you its bogus.

jwasserman
06-25-2008, 08:04 PM
he's also got a gooden no hitter gu ball and that does fit- it's a gene budig american league omlb. gooden's no hitter was in 1996 so that's right on the money.

im not an autograph expert by any means but i do know dr. k's as good as anybody and that one doesn't fit at all. it's with his real name- 'dwight' (rather than 'doc') something he stopped doing in 1989. it also looks off and where he signed 'gooden' looks completely off.

if memory serves there was a former mlb umpire who had flooded the market with some fake gu'd balls from historic events but i didn't think it was merrill. and i really want to believe these two items are real because, quite frankly, i really want them.

I would simply ask him what kind of ball it is first. Then, I would ask what commissioner is on the ball. But not too many questions all at once:)

If its the wrong league, and/or the wrong commissioner for that time frame, then that obviously tells you its bogus.

David
06-25-2008, 10:13 PM
No comment on the Jackson ball, but I've seen game used balls with Merrill LOAs in reputable big auctions. It was a different umpire who sold fake balls.

David
06-25-2008, 10:24 PM
In his autobiography, Merrill wrote that he kept a memorabilia collection, including balls from games he umpired. Interestingly, he specifically noted getting Jackson to sign a game ball for him-- though not a home run ball.

jerseydave.com
06-25-2008, 11:26 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2004-02-23-umpire-memorabilia_x.htm

Here's a write up about the Ump who was selling Fakes. His name was Alan Clark.

David
Jerseydave@sbcglobal.net

dcgreg25
06-26-2008, 07:59 AM
There is another Merrill GU ball on the American Memorabilia auction.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=44668

I emailed American Memorabilia to get a scan of the Letter from Merrill. It would be helpful to compare the two letters as well as Merrill's handwriting and the writing on the ball. I will post whatever I receive.

David
06-26-2008, 01:43 PM
My opinion is if the Jackson and Merrill signatures are legitimate (ala get a PSA Quick Opinion), then the ball is likely legitimate.