PDA

View Full Version : Babe Ruth Bats 1930-35

sammy
03-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Hi,

Can you post the shipping records for the length and weights of Babe Ruth bats from 1930-1935?

Thank you once again.

sammy
03-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi again,

I see this is the only post without a reply. Can anyone help me out?

Looking for records from 1921 to 1935, but would appreciate anything someone can furnish from 1930 to 1935 if possible.

Thank you.

JimCaravello
03-04-2006, 05:39 PM
Hi Sammy - my Ruth records are a little unclear in sections and I was going to let Mike tackle this one. I believe he was going to be a liitle out of pocket this week. Give him another day to two and if he doesn't repsond, I'll let you know what I have and then he can fill in the gaps later......sorry for the delay. Jim

sammy
03-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Hi Jim,

Thank you for the response, previous information, and future responses to my Babe Ruth requests.

I have seen a few 34" Ruth gamers for sale, like the one that just closed in the Mastro auction for close to 73K with buyer's penalty.

http://mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=55550&CurrentRow=1 (http://mastronet.com/index.cfm?action=DisplayContent&ContentName=Lot%20Information&LotIndex=55550&CurrentRow=1)

Interested in knowing if any 34" bats are in his records, or if the confirmation of Ruth using 34" bats is based solely on him stating this. If that is so, do you know what book that is quoted from, or where that info can be found?

Also looking for info on Babe Ruth Hanna-Batrite game bats. I have seen a few Gehrig and others, but the Ruth one seems to be the rarest.

Thank you very much, once again. :D

MSpecht
03-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Hi Sammy--

H & B factory records from the mid-1930s and earlier rarly mention the length of a bat...the prime concern was the weight of a bat....The typical order for Babe Ruth was a bat 35 inches or 36 inches in length, with a weight between 35 and 38 ounces, usually on the higher end.

I believe that the quote you are referring to was taken from an article on hitting that Ruth did for H & B that appeared, I believe, in one of the annual H & B Yearbooks (that may not be the correct reference.) In the article, Ruth mentions that he went from a heavy 36 inch bat early on down to a length 35 inches long and sometimes shorter.

Authenticators in the past have viewed 34 inch Babe Ruth bats as " a professional model Ruth bat of dimensions not consistant with those of Ruth's personal orders but a pro model non the less with possible use by Ruth or anther player for some purpose ..." The presence of specific Ruth game-used characteristics would increase the likely authenticity of the bat when offering an opinion as to specific game use by Ruth or another player.

The other characteristics that appear frequently in Ruth's personal records are "plenty of knots," "large knobs," and "thin handle." In 1942, three Ruth models were assigned Model Numbers :

Ruth's specifications of 5/14/27 was assigned Model Number R34;

Ruth's specifications of 8/17/33 was assigned Model Number R43 (off Chapman's w'out Jorgens 4-8-32 larger end) and specified 35" / 36 oz; and

the Old Ruth model was assigned Model Number R2.

Good Luck in future collecting.

Mike

sammy
03-05-2006, 01:48 PM
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your response.

I gather from your reply, there probably were 34" bats shipped to Ruth from H&B since the main concern was weight, especially in his later years as age and life started taking a toll.

It seems in today's world, more authenticators, sellers and buyers are accepting 34" Ruth bats with the same confidence as longer models in regard to being game used by Ruth, e.g., the Ruth bat in the last Mastro auction among others that have sold in recent years.

Now there are other manufacturer's bats gaining legitimacy in regard to being game used by pros, e.g., Hanna-Batrite bats used by Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, etc., / Kren bats used by Gehrig, DiMaggio, etc., / Zinn Beck bats used by Cobb, etc. I also notice quite a few of these are 34" in length.

In regard to the Hanna-Batrite game bats, I've seen a few Gehrig, but maybe only one or two Ruth. Most of these are 34" too and date between 1931-35.

I know there is a major lack of shipping/bat records in regard to these companies from that time period, hence the ability to state these are gamers if the player's characteristics are present.

I believe this is mainly due to old photographs showing pros using these bats, and photos of dugouts from the 1920/30s showing these manufacturer's bats in the player's hand, or laying on the ground amongst the H&Bs.

The majority of non H&B game used pro bats that I have seen in auctions over the past few years are the Hanna-Batrite with bat logo. These seem more prevalent then Kren or Zinn Beck.

Any thoughts in regard to these Hanna-Batrite pro bats? Compared to H&B pro bats, these are more affordable presently. The prices have escalated tremendously in the past few years as more collectors, authenticators, seller's, etc., have become more aware of these.

I was thinking of picking up some of the big names while these are affordable.

Any thoughts on these bats?

Anyone........

Thanks to all.

byergo
03-05-2006, 11:54 PM
Vintage Authentics had some of these cheap in their last auction. I was too scared to bid on 'em.

MSpecht
03-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Hi Sammy --

I agree with you that these bats (non- H & B) are undervalued and present an opportunity for the collector at this point in time. For years these bats such as Hanna Batrite, Spalding, Kren, etc. were treated as store model bats primarily because sufficient research had not been done to be able to distinguish the various labeling on the bats. Photos exist, however, showing Major League players with these bats in their hands before, after, and during games.

Over the past two years in particular, significant research has been completed where now authenticators can determine, with a high degree of probability, the differences between store model bats, potential professional model bats, and definite professional model bats of these early brands. Dave Bushing, in particular, has done tremendous research in this area.

That being said, even with reduced prices compared to H & B professional model bats, alternative-brand bats from Hall of Fame players and stars still will take a big bite out of your wallet. My personal opinion is to do as much research as you can, and become familiar with the known preferences of the particular player in terms of length, weight, finish, etc. based on known factory records (H & B), and make sure that the alternative-brand bat matches or comes reasonably (VERY reasonably) close to those records. Then throw in any known individual game use characteristics of the particular player, and be satisfied yourself that there is a high probability that the bat could have been used by the particular player represented in a professional game.

Don't forget that variables exist in all areas. I recently reviewed and provided a confirming authentication of a 1926 - 1934 Hack Wilson Spalding bat that was a store model bat (Autograph Series) that had been used by a Minor League player, cracked, and sent to H & B for duplication. The side-writing was visible and bats were manufactured by H & B to match and returned to the player. So, here are the variables :

Was this a bat manufactured by Spalding for use in a professional game -- No.

Was this bat used in a professional game by a professional player -- Yes.

Was this bat used by the professional player whose name appears engraved on the barrel (Hack Wilson) -- No.

So, what exactly is this bat ??? In my opinion it is correctly represented as a Hack Wilson Spalding store model bat used at the professional level by the player whose name is side-written on the barrel during the referenced labeling period.

Good Luck in future collecting. The opportunities are currently out there for decent values in alternative-brand bats, but as always, become as much of an expert as you can and don't hesitate to ask how someone else arrived at the conclusions they did about a particular bat.

Mike