PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a 1980s NBA jersey

skipcarayislegend
06-25-2008, 10:33 AM
A friend's had this Spud Webb jersey since 1989. He bought it from a Hawks ball boy so he's pretty sure it's good, but he wants to know for sure--if that's possible. I know zilch about basketball unis so I'm hoping a couple of you bball gurus (Warren, Greg, etc) may be able to help. The one thing that stands out to me when comparing it to the few pics I've seen of Webb is that there isn't an NBA logo on the front shoulder.
Thanks,
-Jason

Fred
06-25-2008, 11:51 AM
The jersey looks to be from the 85-86 season.The NBA shoulder logo was not placed on jersys until the following season.

otismalibu
06-25-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't know anything about Hawks jerseys, but the NBA logo first appeared on NBA jerseys in 86-87. Webb's first year was 85-86. And if you look at any of his dunk contest pics from Feb. 1986, there's no NBA logo on his jersey.

You'd have to find out if the Hawks added years tags, player ID tags, etc.
Also, try and find pics that enable you to compare the NOB.

It's times like this that I look down at my WWLD bracelet and think...why not say this is the very jersey that Anthony wore during that very dunk contest. :)

skipcarayislegend
06-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys. I'll pass along the info.

WWLD? I'm thinking he'd point out all the nicely puckered identifiers.

both-teams-played-hard
06-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Everyone is right about the NBA logo. Russell made ATL jerseys at this time. No year tags used. Size is right. Jersey is good. May get $1,000 to the right buyer at the right time. Short people have money, short people got good reason to buy Spud. Nice jersey!

LEGEND33
06-25-2008, 03:36 PM
The jersey doesn't match with the jersey used in the slam dunk contest,
Stop this video at 1:06 , the # 4 on back is sewn in a different position.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=CitnrHyoONU

skipcarayislegend
06-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks, BTPH.

I'm with you Legend. Doesn't look close to the dunk jersey.