PDA

View Full Version : Comment on Throwbacks used by MLB Teams

RJB44
06-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Many MLB teams are donning throwback jerseys from times gone past. I know that teams have worn these type jerseys as far back as 1999. I don't think any team has worn them an entire season, expect perhaps the 2008 Blue Jays? During my observations over the last few years, including this year, I have formed the opinion that the majority of these throwbacks serve as a poor representation of the selected period. My opinion primarily deals with the accuracy and level of detail that the teams go to in recreating these uniforms.

Although many teams have worn various styles themed on a specific era, my feedback is focused mainly on the throwbacks from the 1970/80’s. As a diehard fan growing up during this era, I fondly remember these type jerseys. Except for perhaps one or two teams, the majority of the throwbacks used by MLB lack a number of features from actual period. First question I have, is there only one supplier of these jerseys to MLB (Majestic)? As we all know, there were multiple suppliers during that period. granted many companies are no longer around, but to honor the period, they could have done away with the current Majestic sleeve label. This brings me to my second question, why can't teams be more specific in conveying correct style to supplier (Majectic)? Yes, I know that it's just a "Marketing” pitch for the team, but still these jerseys just don't cut it.

You would think that every MLB team has the resources (vintage jerseys, photos, order records, etc) that they could create a much more accurate representation of period jerseys, especially for jerseys that were worn during the 1980’s. Unfortunately, what we get are jerseys with thicker than normal V necks, longer sleeves (to elbow or longer), incorrect numbering and lettering style, and loose fitting (baggy). Additionally, many of the teams don’t make an effort to match the pants, but instead choose to wear current issue pants (bad). When they do make an attempt to add pants, the style is generally way off. How often do we see incorrect “belt” loop pants with the throwbacks? If the elastic waist pants are used, they are typically inconsistent with period. Also, do you ever recall a team wearing the baggy (pajama pants) back in 1985? Teams can outfit players with period caps, but they generally don’t bother with helmets. granted some teams do use period helmets, however not the majority.

First response of course will be.... "it’s not cost effective for teams" Well, considering that the most teams incorporate throwbacks each year, at least since `99, you would think they could invest in a quality recreation, with closer detail to period features. They could always re-use these jerseys, since most teams wore the same style for several years during a particular era. If they are going to honor they history, they should do it right,and recreate jerseys as best as possible, otherwise it's an insult to the game. At least one supplier, (M&N), in my opinion, makes a decent attempt to design from original, certainly not the case with Majestic.
Just my two cents on team used Throwbacks

suave1477
06-25-2008, 12:06 AM
Many MLB teams are donning throwback jerseys from times gone past. I know that teams have worn these type jerseys as far back as 1999. I don't think any team has worn them an entire season, expect perhaps the 2008 Blue Jays? During my observations over the last few years, including this year, I have formed the opinion that the majority of these throwbacks serve as a poor representation of the selected period. My opinion primarily deals with the accuracy and level of detail that the teams go to in recreating these uniforms.

Although many teams have worn various styles themed on a specific era, my feedback is focused mainly on the throwbacks from the 1970/80’s. As a diehard fan growing up during this era, I fondly remember these type jerseys. Except for perhaps one or two teams, the majority of the throwbacks used by MLB lack a number of features from actual period. First question I have, is there only one supplier of these jerseys to MLB (Majestic)? As we all know, there were multiple suppliers during that period. granted many companies are no longer around, but to honor the period, they could have done away with the current Majestic sleeve label. This brings me to my second question, why can't teams be more specific in conveying correct style to supplier (Majectic)? Yes, I know that it's just a "Marketing” pitch for the team, but still these jerseys just don't cut it.

You would think that every MLB team has the resources (vintage jerseys, photos, order records, etc) that they could create a much more accurate representation of period jerseys, especially for jerseys that were worn during the 1980’s. Unfortunately, what we get are jerseys with thicker than normal V necks, longer sleeves (to elbow or longer), incorrect numbering and lettering style, and loose fitting (baggy). Additionally, many of the teams don’t make an effort to match the pants, but instead choose to wear current issue pants (bad). When they do make an attempt to add pants, the style is generally way off. How often do we see incorrect “belt” loop pants with the throwbacks? If the elastic waist pants are used, they are typically inconsistent with period. Also, do you ever recall a team wearing the baggy (pajama pants) back in 1985? Teams can outfit players with period caps, but they generally don’t bother with helmets. granted some teams do use period helmets, however not the majority.

First response of course will be.... "it’s not cost effective for teams" Well, considering that the most teams incorporate throwbacks each year, at least since `99, you would think they could invest in a quality recreation, with closer detail to period features. They could always re-use these jerseys, since most teams wore the same style for several years during a particular era. If they are going to honor they history, they should do it right,and recreate jerseys as best as possible, otherwise it's an insult to the game. At least one supplier, (M&N), in my opinion, makes a decent attempt to design from original, certainly not the case with Majestic.
Just my two cents on team used Throwbacks

Well you kind of answered your own comment!!!

You keep saying what the team can do, well the team can't really do anything as they are not the oens manufaturing the Jerseys.

There are 3 manufacturers of the Jersey that are most commonly known
Mitchel and Ness
AIS
Majestic
Possibly others

As far as making matching pants for the most part i have seen the manufacturers match the pants pretty well to the Jerseys.

But also my point of you answering your own question regarding M&N. To recreate the exact likelness of a Jersey you have to be licensed by MLB/Cooperstown the only one that has the rights to the license is M&N
That is why you seem them make the closest matches to the real ones, the other companies are allowed to make likenesses to the real ones but cannot be exact since M&N has the rights.