PDA

View Full Version : Haaaa - possibly game used Jackie Robinson bat

CampWest
06-24-2008, 10:08 PM
yeah, aside from the fact that this label wasnt produced until 10+ years after Jackie's death.

http://i14.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/f9/8e/1d19_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960s-JACKIE-ROBINSON-LOUISVILLE-SLUGGER-R17-JR3-BAT_W0QQitemZ300236526426

"This is a Jackie Robinson Louisville slugger baseball bat that I've owned for over 25 years. It was acquired by me from a good friend in Ithaca, New York. His father recieved it in a raffle from the company he worked for. The provenance is very good in my opinion. He doesn't know if it was game used by Jackie or not but it definately has some light wear on it. Looks like it has some light pinetar residue on the handle as well. A very nice Bat with a facsimile signature of the Hall Of Famer and JR3 stamped on the cap. Heres your chance to own a nice piece of Baseball Americana. No breaks or issues that I can see and a very beefy thick bat, too big for my hands. Condition is a 8 out of 10. $12 to ship insured to lower 48 states only. No PAYPAL. Good Luck!"

suave1477
06-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Campwest but the seller is not selling it as a Game Used bat.

Vintagedeputy
06-24-2008, 11:54 PM
No, he doesnt say that its GU but he throws that "we dont know if it was game used by Jackie" crap out there like so many sellers do.

He does know however that its a 1960's bat (his words) and he should know that Jackie last played in '56 so a reasonable ebay seller can make the leap of faith and not say that Jackie could have used the bat. Its a borderline "untruth" commonly used to sell a store model bat.

suave1477
06-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Vintagedeputy I completely agree with you but I do believe in giving the seller the befit of the doubt and just might not know exactly what he has and is assuming by looking at it. Or you can be right he may just be thought provoking people to thinking its something its not.

Vintagedeputy
06-25-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm wondering too when pine tar was first used on bats. I'm not sure but I dont think it goes back to Jackie's playing days.....anyone know?

CampWest
06-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Campwest but the seller is not selling it as a Game Used bat.

He's not?

He listed it in the "Game Used Memorabilia" category.
Tries to give the illusion that game use is a possibility.
Mentions pine tar as evidence of possible use.
Title lists it as a 1960s bat, but the label was not produced until 1980s.

So, there are more than enough inconsistencies in there to believe that its possible he is trying to mislead buyers.

Obviously, its a poor attempt, but my point wasnt really anything more than its hysterical to throw out the "possibility of game use by Jackie", when the label clearly proves that the bat was not manufactured until after Jackie's death.