PDA

View Full Version : Good Bat Investments

yanks12025
06-24-2008, 06:48 PM
I was wondering what you guys think are some bats that would be good investments for the future. I know no ones bats from todays age will ever be as much as a Babe Ruth. Like if you have the money A-rods aint bad, because he may break the home run record. i'd like to hear your guys thoughts on some different player bats. Thanks

3arod13
06-24-2008, 06:52 PM
I was wondering what you guys think are some bats that would be good investments for the future. I know no ones bats from todays age will ever be as much as a Babe Ruth. Like if you have the money A-rods aint bad, because he may break the home run record. i'd like to hear your guys thoughts on some different player bats. Thanks

Arod is definately a good one. My only concern is, there are just to many game used bats. What will be the demand down the line? If there are so many Derek Jeter P72 gamers, and you can find them so easily, what's the demand/interest?

Finding gamers from back in the day, is definately much rarer.

Just my thoughts.

3arod13
06-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Alex Rodriguez and Albert Pujols I think are obvious.

Sheffield11
06-24-2008, 06:59 PM
See what i like to do is this, you look at a given players number, you compare how many hits and homeruns they have to how long they have been in the league and how old they are. For example, Carlos Beltran is 31 years old, he has been playing for 10 years, he has over 1500 hits and over 270 HR. I believe that he could play another 8 years and at his rate he might have a chance at 500 HR and 3000 Hits. So for my reasoning i would buy a bat of a guy like that as an investment. But then of course supply and demand have factors, if there are too many beltran bats out there, then it wont matter what clubs he gets into.

33bird
06-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Too much of everything nowadays to think good investment. Most the experts say pre-1980 stuff is the way to go. I agree. It's the old supply and demand thing. There might be 10 or 15 Johnny Bench 1976 bicentennial bats in the world, but there are 200 Arod bats every season that will hit the market. Simple math.
Greg

3arod13
06-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Too much of everything nowadays to think good investment. Most the experts say pre-1980 stuff is the way to go. I agree. It's the old supply and demand thing. There might be 10 or 15 Johnny Bench 1976 bicentennial bats in the world, but there are 200 Arod bats every season that will hit the market. Simple math.
Greg

I agree. Too much of everything today.

I asked the forum a question about one of my Arod bats, but didn't get much response.

I have a 1996 Alex Rodriguez Rawlings Game Used Bat. To me, I would think this would be more in demand than his LVS. There are hundreds and hundreds of Arod LVS bats out there. How many Rawlings are there?

joelsabi
06-25-2008, 11:24 AM
many items that are pre-Ken Griffey Jr are good investments, primarily yankees (munson, mattingly, yes mattingly) and redsox (yaz, luis tiant ) stuff, hall of game players stuff (ruth, clemente), and players stuff from great teams (the big red machine, yankees early 90s).Seems as tho future appreciation is build into many of the new equipement's asking price. Great stuff but poor investments.

bigtruck260
06-25-2008, 11:55 AM
I have always thought that most equipment, cards and autographs are a lousy investment.

If you have a collection, collect - if you are investing, and you don't have a large amount of disposable income...maybe investing in bats, etc. is not the greatest idea.

I know too many guys who were collectors of something at one point - and they almost always have become dealers in one way or another...whether it be eBay or garage sales...and they rarely make enough money to be comfortable.

Just an opinion.

Jags Fan Dan
06-25-2008, 12:16 PM
I have always thought that most equipment, cards and autographs are a lousy investment.

If you have a collection, collect - if you are investing, and you don't have a large amount of disposable income...maybe investing in bats, etc. is not the greatest idea.

I know too many guys who were collectors of something at one point - and they almost always have become dealers in one way or another...whether it be eBay or garage sales...and they rarely make enough money to be comfortable.

Just an opinion.
I agree with this. If you are constantly checking price guides on your cards or worrying over the value of certain GU items, you are (in my opinion) doing yourself a great disservice on a number of fronts. First, you will not enjoy the hobby as much when you are constantly checking prices and fretting over market trends. Second, you are more than likely going to have a bunch of stuff that is worth less or the same as when you bought it. If anyone on this forum could say for certain what future markets for ANYTHING were going to be like, they wouldn't be nosing around this forum, they'd be relaxing on their own island somewhere.

I say, collect what you like and spend what you can afford to spend and forget about the value of items. Heck, some of the best items in my collection are things I acquired with absolutely no fore-thought as to what their value may be. Case in point, in 1987 when I was heavily into collecting 1987 Topps baseball cards, I briefly dabbled over into buying packs of cheaper (.35 a pack vs. .45 a pack) and less desirable 1987-88 Fleer basketball packs until I got a card of Jordan. I did this entirely on a whim. I bet the Jordan card is worth more than all of my 1987 cards together, not to mention the other cards I pulled along the way to the Jordan.

I think when you buy things hoping for an increase in value, you are more often than not going to end up disappointed.

geoff
06-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Miguel Cabrera.He is young and can hit.Vlad Guerrero is also a good investment at this point I think.

mariner_gamers
06-25-2008, 02:27 PM
This may sound contrary to how most folks think but I find myself paying more now for little known players than I did even 4 years ago. Suddenly when a Jamie Allen Mariners bat comes up on ebay I find I am bidding against a few others who need it. Instead of the $15 I paid it for in 2000 it is now closing at say $40-$50. For the diehard team collectors we see and have several of the big guys bats. I only buy Arod or Griffey if it is extremely cheap or unique since they are everywhere. Try finding a Leroy Stanton 77-79 Lousiville or mid 80's Jack Perconte. Granted they still close at a much lower price then the big boys but their percentage of appreciation has been quite remarkable over the past 8 years. Many hard to find common bats are now in serious collectors hands and new folks are looking to acquire them every year. There is a definite ceiling for many of these commons but I don't think we have seen it yet.......

Thanks!
Davis

godwulf
06-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Somebody suggested to me this morning that maple bats in general may start demanding greater prices, if MLB ends up banning them.

Opinions?

shoremen44
06-25-2008, 03:32 PM
you want to buy some maple bats?

LOL

JETEFAN
06-25-2008, 05:09 PM
Popular and fan favorites has a lot to with value in my opinion often more than numbers. How many players with great numbers and bats are $300 -$400. range and players with not as good stats demand 2 to 3 times as much! (Rice, Mattingly etc.) Supply and demand obviously factors in.

George