PDA

View Full Version : Recent NFL jersey recycling example

nyjetsfan14
06-24-2008, 02:57 PM
I know a few of the NFL collectors have touched on this topic but here is a neat example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300235567089&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT&ih=020

This jersey comes with a Jets COA stating to its use in 2004, Cotchery's rookie season. Interestingly enough the Jets last used that type of Reebok tagging in 2001! That's quite the holdover I would say - 3 seasons.

On another note, just in case anybody cares or is interested...the Jets had many COA problems in their earlier days. I have jerseys purchased directly from the Jets absolutely hammered with use/repairs where the COA states game issued and then other jerseys where there is no wear evident and the COA states game used. They still don't have a hologram system and many COA's come with lined out info and the new info typed above. Ok, enough Jets talk from me!

cohibasmoker
06-24-2008, 03:55 PM
Interesting thread indeed.

I had a Colts jersey that was worn by a player named Woods in 1981. What made the piece interesting was the NOB appliqued on the jersey which was covered by the Woods' NOB plate. Inside out, the name CHERRY is visible. Sure enough, a check of the databasefootball website shows a Stan Cherry having played 3 game in Baltimore .... back in 1973. How's that for re-cycling!!!!

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

JackHE
06-24-2008, 06:38 PM
I just recently picked up one of those "cool" blue Carolina Panther jerseys.
Name plate is for Thomas Davis #48 and looks to be unaltered - some definte wear but date tag says 02 (Mark Fields) and appears to match 2002 photos with Mark Field wearing one like it. Since they only wear the blue alternates a couple times a year - I figure the Panthers must be re-using those blue ones. Either way, those are beautiful jerseys.

j

jayt1234
06-24-2008, 07:03 PM
It really does raise the question that extends to how many jersey's do each team distribute to any player on any given team. It would seem that some teams geared toward marketing (Cowboys) seem to issue new jersey's whether they are needed or not. Game Exclusives would sell game uniforms for some pretty common players who were in no way getting the kind of game time that would warrant up to four or five different uniforms per year. One player I bought a uniform of had five different uniforms (home) for the 2006 season. The one I got had a few dirt stains and some blue paint but nothing that warranted a whole new uniform for the next game (which was for sale). The one I bought had the Prova chip which indicated two games of use and in one game he logged two tackles, and the other he had six. On the other hand there was an article posted here about the Jaguars equipment room, and the manager said each player got one jersey per year, and that is a team that you do not see a ton of stuff out there. SO when wver a question pops up here about how many jersey's are issued per player it really does make a difference on what team they are inquiring about.

Jay

nyjetsfan14
06-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Interesting thread indeed.

I had a Colts jersey that was worn by a player named Woods in 1981. What made the piece interesting was the NOB appliqued on the jersey which was covered by the Woods' NOB plate. Inside out, the name CHERRY is visible. Sure enough, a check of the databasefootball website shows a Stan Cherry having played 3 game in Baltimore .... back in 1973. How's that for re-cycling!!!!

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

A jersey used 8 years apart? Now that sounds like one unique piece Jim...awesome stuff!!!

nyjetsfan14
06-24-2008, 07:37 PM
It really does raise the question that extends to how many jersey's do each team distribute to any player on any given team. It would seem that some teams geared toward marketing (Cowboys) seem to issue new jersey's whether they are needed or not. Game Exclusives would sell game uniforms for some pretty common players who were in no way getting the kind of game time that would warrant up to four or five different uniforms per year. One player I bought a uniform of had five different uniforms (home) for the 2006 season. The one I got had a few dirt stains and some blue paint but nothing that warranted a whole new uniform for the next game (which was for sale). The one I bought had the Prova chip which indicated two games of use and in one game he logged two tackles, and the other he had six. On the other hand there was an article posted here about the Jaguars equipment room, and the manager said each player got one jersey per year, and that is a team that you do not see a ton of stuff out there. SO when wver a question pops up here about how many jersey's are issued per player it really does make a difference on what team they are inquiring about.

Jay

Some great points Jay...it really does differ per team. The Cowboys are obviously all about marketing. 5 different uni's for sale for a non star player from the same season is pretty incredible and again makes you wonder why they would carry the value they do.

Jack brings up an interesting photomatching scenario of a recycled jersey. It would seem possible to photo match a recycled jersey to the previous player rather than the new player wearing the same jersey, now that would be wierd!

Made in Motown
06-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Interesting note about the re-used '01 jerseys is that they would have had to replace/add the new NFL equipment shield ('01 was the last year they wore the plain NFL shield). I have an '01 jersey that was re-used, where they just sewed the NFL equipment shield over the NFL shield - you can see the outline from inside the collar.