PDA

View Full Version : Wife & I went to our first Washington National Game Saturday Night

3arod13
06-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Wife & I went to our first Washington National Game Saturday Night

Great ballpark. Easy access in and out via the metro. Had a great time. Unfortunately, Texas won 13-3

allstarsplus
06-22-2008, 07:14 PM
I was there too and we need to have a system to contact each other to meet up when members go on road trips!!!

You probably picked the best game in terms of weather. Mid 70's with a big crowd.

Unfortunately the home team didn't win!

Did you see me on the scoreboard, I won the Jon Rauch Opening Day Game Used Cap. Jon was the winning pitcher in the 1st game in Nationals Park so that was my highlight!

3arod13
06-22-2008, 07:43 PM
I was there too and we need to have a system to contact each other to meet up when members go on road trips!!!

You probably picked the best game in terms of weather. Mid 70's with a big crowd.

Unfortunately the home team didn't win!

Did you see me on the scoreboard, I won the Jon Rauch Opening Day Game Used Cap. Jon was the winning pitcher in the 1st game in Nationals Park so that was my highlight!

I sure did! Pretty awesome!

Beautiful ballpark! The weather was great. Started raining in the 8th inning, but just light rain.

I was amazed how easy it was to get in and out using the metro. Definately the way to go to the game vice parking lot.

Looking forward to going to more games. Wife and I go to Baltimore each year for games. It's nice to have another team to go see.

I do know some in the forum who livein DC, MD, and VA. Would be pretty cool to all meet up for a game sometime.

allstarsplus
06-22-2008, 08:11 PM
I do know some in the forum who livein DC, MD, and VA. Would be pretty cool to all meet up for a game sometime.

I did an early season Sunday "meet & greet" for GUF members that I knew were in the area and it was a lot of fun so I definitely want to do it again.

Email me so I can put you on the mailing list and anyone else who is interested please let me know. I will try to do it on a Mets game!!!!

indyred
06-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Cool pictures. I'm out in DC/Baltimore next week on vacation and had too decide on what game I could make. Wanted to hit National new place next Sunday, but the Baltimore work better next Monday. Of the two parks what one do you guys like better? Do they sell game used in in Baltimore and is Babe Ruth Museum worth going to? It looks like it's walking distance from Camden Yards.

orioles03
06-22-2008, 09:02 PM
if in baltimore go to the sports legend at camden yards it is a part of camdenyards you cant miss it it is an old rail road station .the babe ruth museum is about two block away all you have to do is follow the baseballs on the sidewalk.sports legends is the best,inside is also the team store of the ravens

geoff
06-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Very Little Game Used in Baltimore.Go to the Orioles Store in the Warehouse.Babe Ruth is right around the Corner from the Stadium behind Pickles Pub.Its worth going to but won't take long at all to walk around.Go to Legends Sports in front of the Stadium also you will like that Place.Its sort of a Mini Hall of Fame.Have Fun while in Baltimore.

Geoff

orioles03
06-22-2008, 09:11 PM
here is the link for both babe ruth and sports legends
http://www.baberuthmuseum.com/
you can see all the exhibits they have up

BergerKing22784
06-22-2008, 11:31 PM
I am down for meeting everyone in either DC or Baltimore for a game.

Sorry u Nationals fan that new stadium was a huge let down for me! It seemed very basic and boring. Good thing it is small as I have already gotten tickets on ebay for less than face value for decent teams it makes me sad for you guys. The fact I am a Braves fan I have been twice already both times the Nats won and I was pimped out in Braves gear and not one Nationals fan said nothing to me, that is unheard of guys! Any stadium I have been to if the visiting team loses even if they are 20 games ahead in standings of the home team people will give them crap about their team losing. Not at the Nationals Park!

Its been my goal to knock off some parks on the list. So far of the ones I have visited here is my favs

1. Turner Field, Atl (Thats a given! haha)
2. PNC Park Pittsburgh, very pretty park the city in the background is awesome.
3. Citizen Bank Field Philly, I love all the bricks makes me smile
4. Camden Yards, Baltimore
5. Progressive Field (Jacobs Field) Cleveland Ohio,
6. Nats Park

3arod13
06-23-2008, 04:24 AM
I am down for meeting everyone in either DC or Baltimore for a game.

Sorry u Nationals fan that new stadium was a huge let down for me! It seemed very basic and boring.

It doesn't have all the "bells and whistles" that other new ballparks have, but it's still a pretty nice ballpark.

allstarsplus
06-23-2008, 07:10 AM
It is the only stadium with views of the Capitol and Washington Monument from the upper level. Comfortable seats with great sightlines, wide concourses, and great restaurants and bars + the extensive outfield kids area in RF. Cherry blossoms from the cherry trees in the outfield (in early Spring) were a nice touch.

If you are lucky enough to sit in the Presidents seats, the adjoining Presidents Club has the Oval Bar and views of the indoor batting cages, and press room.

The Suites have wide leather seats with embroidered Curly W's and great sightlines and 2 HD plasmas and on the Suite/Club level there are nostalgic bars, wood oven pizza and amazing river views.

In the outfield, you can try out the Red Porch or Red Loft bar which I have only walked through and found I was much too old for the crowd there ;) .

HOK who designed the stadium did a great job using limestone and granite where most new stadiums put brick as limestone and granite are so much a part of Washington museum architecture. The glass and steel on the outside reminds you of the Smithsonian Air & Space museum.

Getting to the stadium via the subway (Metro) is a block away from centerfield and getting out is sometimes a little more challenging when the crowds are large.

Within the next 3 years, the ballpark district will be substantially built out with eclectic restaurants and bars and the waterfront will have a Water Taxi service.

The fan experience should get better with every trip!

dcgreg25
06-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Have not been down to the new stadium yet- hopefully will be able to hit it in July.

I live up in Maryland and would be interested in a meet and greet. Put me on the list

gregguy@hotmail.com

bigtruck260
06-23-2008, 12:21 PM
I grew up in Lexington Park, MD - about 20 minutes from DC.
Can't wait to see the new landscape when it's all done.

Almost the same way I can't wait for them to finish BallPark Village in STL:

Far left of the photo is the proposed site that will be vacat for the 2009 All-Star game....

allstarsplus
06-23-2008, 05:14 PM
I grew up in Lexington Park, MD - about 20 minutes from DC.
Can't wait to see the new landscape when it's all done.

Bigtruck - Did someone in your family work at PAX River?

I will hook you up when you come here if you do the same for me when we come to St. Louis.

I was at the last series in 1999 at the old Busch for the rematch of Big Mac and Sammy competing for the HR Crown. Amazing time and left with great memories of Busch and hanging with the Cubs at the Marriott across the street.

The new stadium looks great!

Greg, you are already on the list!!!!

bigtruck260
06-24-2008, 12:27 AM
[quote=allstarsplus;88493]Bigtruck - Did someone in your family work at PAX River?

I will hook you up when you come here if you do the same for me when we come to St. Louis.

quote]

Anytime Andrew. I would love to show you around the stadium...maybe a few of us can get a hospitality crew together and take you for a little tour of our town too.

You are dead on. My Dad worked for McDonnell - Douglas at PAX. I have very fond memories of crab cakes and marsh walking by the Chesapeake Bay. It was a big part of my childhood.

I was never a fan of the Orioles though. In those days, it was the Braves all the way. Dale Murphy was my hero!

allstarsplus
06-24-2008, 09:26 AM
You are dead on. My Dad worked for McDonnell - Douglas at PAX. I have very fond memories of crab cakes and marsh walking by the Chesapeake Bay. It was a big part of my childhood.

I was never a fan of the Orioles though. In those days, it was the Braves all the way. Dale Murphy was my hero!

Yep, crab cakes and the Chesapeake and Ocean City! My son played in a 13 year old baseball tournament last year in Lexington Park and it has certainly seen its share of real estate building! It still has its rural roots with a few shopping centers added and I think back when you lived in PAX there was 1 small shopping area right before the PAX River entrance.

I was an Orioles and Senators fan growing up, but Peter Angelos made it easy to switch allegiances when the Nationals came to town.

You are lucky in St. Louis as you have a great fan base that really understands the game with a team set to compete.

rose14
06-24-2008, 09:40 AM
BIGTRUCK, did you take the pic of the new stadium from the top of the Arch?

bigtruck260
06-24-2008, 09:46 AM
BIGTRUCK, did you take the pic of the new stadium from the top of the Arch?

I actually found that photo. Wish I could tell you...it was in a PD archive (Post Dispatch)

Andrew -

When I lived in Lexington Park, 1978-1983 - it was a GHETTO. At the end of my street (which was off of Great Mills Rd.) there was a strip joint.
I was a minority at my elementary school - Carver Elementary.

I still talk to some friends from that area, and they tell me the same thing you just did....it has really been built up. I plan on going back to visit eventually, so I will get a hold of you when that happens.

Dave

3arod13
06-24-2008, 05:20 PM
I did an early season Sunday "meet & greet" for GUF members that I knew were in the area and it was a lot of fun so I definitely want to do it again.

Email me so I can put you on the mailing list and anyone else who is interested please let me know. I will try to do it on a Mets game!!!!

Andrew,

Add me to the list. Tony Baldwin, arod13tb@yahoo.com

Look forward to all getting together for a game!

Tony

allstarsplus
07-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Mark Sutton came out in Orioles Orange for the finale of the Nationals/O's 2008 interleague Battle of the Beltways.

ironmanfan
07-01-2008, 12:24 PM
A few guys and myself who are volunteering at the Ripken World Series have plans to go on August 17th (the day after the series concludes)...

allstarsplus
07-01-2008, 03:37 PM
A few guys and myself who are volunteering at the Ripken World Series have plans to go on August 17th (the day after the series concludes)...

I think that is the Rockies series? I may be going on Friday night Aug 15th.

ironmanfan
07-01-2008, 08:32 PM
I think that is the Rockies series? I may be going on Friday night Aug 15th.

Yes, I checked the schedule and the Rockies are in town. We are getting tickets from Bob Carpenter and I'm hoping the seats are good and I'm also anxious to walk around the stadium beforehand. Is there anything particular that I shouldn't miss in case I don't have time to see it all?

allstarsplus
07-02-2008, 07:38 AM
There are so many amazing things to see in these new ballparks. Nationals Park I think starts with the walk into centerfield where the local eateries are. Centerfield also has the Red Loft bar and the newly opened "beer garden". If you have teenage kids or younger, the playground and video gameroom is very cool.

There are 3 private clubs that all have some great stuff, the Lexus President's Club, Diamond Club, and Stars & Stripes Club.

President's Club has views into the indoor batting cages that the players call the "fish bowl" as well as glass walls and speakers to take in the pre-game and post-game news conferences.

Diamond Club as amazing views of the field and some great memorabilia.

The Stars & Stripes bar has walls of vintage Washington baseball card reproductions in different sizes and shapes.

Those in the Upper Deck get the best views of Washington DC and the Capital and Washington Monument.

The newly named Shirley Povich Media Center houses Povich's own sports memorabilia on the Press level which includes his own scorecards of World Series including Don Larsen's no hitter!

They will be adding sculptures and artwork throughout the stadium in years to come.

I am sure I missed some other highlights and maybe someone else can add some notes.