PDA

View Full Version : Question on this Barry Bonds bat? From the correct season?

Tay1038
06-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Hello,
I don't know to much about this type of bat. I was wondering if anyone could share some light on it. This bat is said to be used by Barry Bonds during the 1996 season. I am very interested in adding it to my collection but need a little more info on it. The bat is a glossed finished Young Bat Company containing a cupped-in barrel with BB Y20 31 burned on the bottom of the knob. Any thoughts?

I looked for photographs on Getty and did not find one photo of him using a Young Bat Model, only LS.

camarokids
06-22-2008, 02:13 PM
I think I remember the young bats of his being discussed before .

Try the search feature ......

Pretty sure I remember someone saying he did order the bats , but maybe not used , not 100% sure though ..

Tay1038
06-22-2008, 02:43 PM
I think I remember the young bats of his being discussed before .

Try the search feature ......

Pretty sure I remember someone saying he did order the bats , but maybe not used , not 100% sure though ..

David,
I did check out the post I believe you are referring to. It just states that Bonds used them before the 2000 season.

Taylor

Dewey2007
06-22-2008, 03:20 PM
There is one of these Bonds type bats for sale on HOF Bats.com. Check with Tim he might be able answer your questions. www.hofbats.com (http://www.hofbats.com)

allstarsplus
06-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Was that signed in December 2004? That bat has a MLB hologram and Barry's newer hologram on there so I would be curious to see if the COA said "bat" or "game used bat" or just addressed the signature.

Young Bats used to set up at sports card shows and sell "gamer bats" so there were plenty of "star" bats out there. I personally attended a CSA show in Virginia as they were trying to sell Bonds and Ripken and others.

They told me Bonds had used their bats before, but I have never personally seen any evidence of it.

Unless the bat came directly from Barry, I have serious doubts that he would have signed the bat unless it was unused, but that's just my opinion then based on that, the question is where did the "game use" come from.

camarokids
06-22-2008, 03:45 PM
David,
I did check out the post I believe you are referring to. It just states that Bonds used them before the 2000 season.

Taylor

I believe there is more than one thread ...

I remembered a post on the exact bats . For some reason 1998 seems to ring the bell for me . Also that Bonds received a dozen of them .

I remember reading about someone received word from the then owner of Young Bats that clarified and proved the bats provenance .

But that is just going on memory .....

One thing I remember for sure is that after reading this post . I noticed the prices for the bats went up quick ....

I will try and search......

camarokids
06-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Heritage Auctions had one for auction ended June 1,2008 , BB Y20 listed as a 1997-98 , lot number 41145 .... auction number below ....

Sunday Internet Sports Auction #48061

camarokids
06-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Here is the complete description from the auction :

Barry Bonds Game Ready Bat 1997-98 PSA GU 4. The Young Bat Co. Model BB Y20 Barry Bonds pro stock bat is uncracked and game ready, not game used. Black bat rack streaks and a light coat of pine tar residue are visible on the bat. The model number (BB Y20) and the weight (32) are ink stamped on the knob.

Just noticed the one Heritage had was 32 ounces vs . 31 ounces

Rboitano
06-23-2008, 10:18 PM
I would stick with a Louisville Bonds bat. I remember Young bat Company would sell those exact bats to the public.

suave1477
06-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Just to help as far as the bat itself.

Young bat company was a small bat company trying to get into Major League Baseball they gave out a lot of there bats to players but I believe most players tried them out and passed or just passed from the beginging on them. Some players did use them though I remember seeing a few Canseco Game Use Young Bats. I myself owned a Canseco Game Used Young bat but sold it over a year or so ago. I think I saw a Fred McGriff Game Used Young bat, but also I am just going on memory.

Tay1038
06-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Thanks guys for your thoughts. I think I'll wait until one with more history comes up. There is just too many questions on this one. I appreciate all the info!

allstarsplus
06-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys for your thoughts. I think I'll wait until one with more history comes up. There is just too many questions on this one. I appreciate all the info!

If this bat is the same one on Huggins & Scott auctions, it is accompanied by a LOA and a photo of Bonds with the signed bat. Barry definitely signed this particular bat in the condition it was in so this one looks legit given the photo.

Tay1038
06-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Andrew,

Yes, thats the one I'm referring to. The bat states game-used but I don't see anything.

Taylor