PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you know the history of why ballparks are today?

3arod13
06-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Do any of you know the history or why ballparks are today?

I've alway wondered why basketball courts, football fields, hockey rinks are all the same size throughout their leagues.

However, many baseall ballparks are different. Why is this?

How can you compare players against records when many play in smaller parks and all parks aren't the same. Meaning, not everyone is playing on the same size playing field.

Always wondered about this.

Thanks, Tony

joelsabi
06-22-2008, 07:00 PM
im just guessing that baseball being the oldest of these professional sports had to make due with the lot sizes that they could buy in new york and that the lots were odd size shaped. as good businessmen, i assume they made the dimension as large as possible to increase attendance. i am guessing.

besides whether isn't controlled and thats another difference. i would hate baseball to be played in only domed stadiums.

i like the different ballparks.

joelsabi
06-22-2008, 07:06 PM
opps. i meant weather. we agree that the bases are the same. the dimension to right left and center may vary. also the foul area is different. we going to make all the foul area the same too?

suave1477
06-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Joesalibi is correct in the early days a lot of it, had to do with the size of the lots that were purchased thats is why dimensions are different for a lot of baseball fields.

Metsfan808
06-23-2008, 06:26 AM
As was mentioned before it has to do with the lots. The old ballparks were in the middle of neighborhoods, Ebbetts Field, Polo Grounds, Yankee Stadum, Wrigley Field ect. they only had a linited amount of space to work with. It is not until the 60's that cities began dedicating parcells of land for sports complexes.

Yankwood
06-23-2008, 06:29 AM
Hockey rinks were also different dimensions when I was following the sport. I have no idea if they are the same now though.