PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Bat Price Range -- Minors and Majors

Chris78
06-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi, I wanted to get some feedback on what teams that do sell their game used bats at that their stadium sell their bats for? This can be for minor and major league teams. Also, if it is a minor league team does the bat have the player's name or the player's name and team on the bat? I know that the Philadelphia Phillies sell for $150+ and I was at the Orioles on Wednesday and they are now selling in the $150 area as well -- although they are now MLB authenticated.

Thanks for any input.

Chris

BergerKing22784
06-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Where were they selling them for at the Orioles? The team store attached to the warehouse? I havent gone in there this year but I never know where they sell the game used items at the stadiums I never find them.

geoff
06-21-2008, 02:32 PM
They sell the Game Used Bats in the Team Store in the Warehouse.They only have a few Bats and most are Badly Cracked.My GirlFriend bought me during the Nationals Series Last Month a Kevin Millar Game Used Bat from there.I have been looking for a Millar Bat and Jersey for a while.I now have a Bat.I go to alot of Games and go in there all the time and mostly the same stuff though.

geoff
06-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Also the Phillies do have Private Auctions to go with the Game Used they have for sale.I like the Private Auctions the Phillies Have.I picked up earlier this Month a Game Used Jimmy Rollins Max Bat from the Private Auction they had that Game.I wish the Orioles would do that .Last year the Orioles did a Private Auction 1 time.The Prices were very crazy though.

suave1477
06-21-2008, 02:43 PM
When I was at the Orioles 2 years ago they had a public auction in one of the corridors I remember it was a Miguel Tejada Game Used Jersey and Lopez Game Used Jersey and a Mothers day Game Used base.

warheel
06-22-2008, 07:57 AM
I was at a Buffalo Bisons game last month and while the team store that sells GU stuff wasn't open, I did look through the window a saw a bat on a table and later found out it was $20. I couldn't make out the name on it. If anyone is in the Buffalo area maybe they have more info.

Chris78
06-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the info.

$20 for a game used bat seems to be very cheap if it had a name on it. I remember being at both Binghamton and Syracuse in 2005 and they had game used bats with no names for $10, and I bought one at each stadium and now realize they do not have much value.

What do you guys feel should be the price for a cracked bat at a minor league stadium with a name and also a name/team on it?

Chris

godwulf
06-23-2008, 10:22 AM
The Diamondbacks team shop used to get a lot of great bats from the team - I remember when Johnny Estrada was with us, I stopped in after a game and picked up two of his bats for a hundred each, one that he'd brought with him from Atlanta, both absolutely filthy with pine tar. Some players who were not big names you could get for as little as 50, but most were priced 100-150, and many had been signed.

Now, for whatever reason, they're just not getting them from the team any more. They've had the same few, sad-looking, barrel half gone bats that they've been asking $150 apiece for, since the '07 season. The other day, I saw a Shea Hillenbrand from '03-'04 that they'd found somewhere, and asked how much they wanted for it. "$150." I just said, "Dude..."

Early this season, they were auctioning game-used bats, signed store jerseys and the occasional batting helmet out in the rotunda, for charity, and I picked up a really nice Eric Byrnes red Diablo bat (which he told me later they won't let him use any more, which makes it all the more collectable) for $275, and a Mark Reynolds gamer for $250. Honestly, if they'd been in the team shop with those prices on them, I'd have probably paid it, unless somebody else snapped them up first. Either way, the money is going to charity.

I would dearly love to have access to the team shops/souvenir stands, whatever they have, of the Diamondbacks minor league farm teams. I've heard that they sell their bats for almost nothing, unless it's a really hot prospect, like Justin Upton or Carlos Gonzalez. I bought a lot of bats from a guy who lived near Lancaster, when the JetHawks were a DBacks club, before they moved to Visalia, and he used to pick them up there at the stadium. I don't actually know what he paid for them, but I was paying him $15-$35 for a bat and he wasn't complaining about losing money, so it couldn't have been much.

bigtruck260
06-23-2008, 10:52 AM
St. Louis Cardinals:

Low: $50-75, non-prospect veteran players that are unpopular (Josh Phelps)

Medium: $125-$200, potential for popularity - some semi-stars and rookies (Brian Barton, Cezar Izturis, Ryan Ludwick, Brendan Ryan)

High: $400 and up, VERY popular players and superstars (Yadier Molina, Rick Ankiel)

Not too many Pujols bats. But the cheapest one I saw recently was a Marucci David Wright model for $700-800.

Jerseys are usually $200-350
Helmets are $50 with no numbers, etc.

I did see helmets from Duncan, Schumaker and Kennedy for $100

ALL bats are cracked to some degree. Many are in just terrible shape - to the point where only a miracle (or Mr. Scott) could repair them.

They were selling Chris Duncan bats for $400 last year...now, they would have to give them away....and it would still be a tough sell.

godwulf
06-23-2008, 10:59 AM
They were selling Chris Duncan bats for $400 last year...now, they would have to give them away....and it would still be a tough sell.

I just remembered that at the Fan Fest in February, they had two big barrels full of Scott Hairston bats - why there were so many, I have no idea - that they were trying to sell for $10 each, without much success.

Even a popular player, as Scotty was, loses his value with a lot of folks once he's been gone for a couple of years.