PDA

View Full Version : Broken bats and glue

gameusedfan
06-19-2008, 09:41 AM
I just got my first game used bat, a beauty from the Phillies attributable to Chase Utley, complete with a perfect photomatch. Problem is, it is cracked/broken...big-time. Without tape, the two pieces are impossible to keep together; with the tape, it is wobbly and won't stay together. If, however, I were to glue it together, it looks respectable even if you can see the crack lines.

My question for the baseball guys out there is how much it hurts the value to glue a broken bat together for the sake of display. I figure I could use just enough wood glue to hold it together but any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Roger

FYI, my bat is in the pic below:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/b2/fullj.2f185a407bb82b87b7d855db24b240a8/2f185a407bb82b87b7d855db24b240a8-getty-80332683dh005_cincinnati_re.jpg

suave1477
06-19-2008, 10:03 AM
I dont think it hurts the value at all unless it was a bat of some record breaking significance otherwise I would think it would be more valuable to glue it back together.

woodbat
06-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Give Jeff Scott an email. He repaired my Kelly Stinnett bat that was split the entire length and the job was outstanding. He will do you right.
birdbats@charter.net
woodbat

bigtruck260
06-19-2008, 10:06 AM
It looks like a pretty clean break too. You would be suprised how well a black bat can be repaired...I have a few that have huge, but nearly invisible cracks.

Two were repaired by Jeff Scott.

JETEFAN
06-19-2008, 12:10 PM
It looks like a pretty clean break too. You would be suprised how well a black bat can be repaired...I have a few that have huge, but nearly invisible cracks.

Two were repaired by Jeff Scott.
Dave, still can't get over how much you look like Tony L...:eek:

Vintagedeputy
06-19-2008, 12:29 PM
I wouldnt fix it a bit.

Display the 2 pieces close together with that photo. The photo says it all.

just my .02

Jim

kylehess10
06-19-2008, 12:38 PM
I wouldnt fix it a bit.

Display the 2 pieces close together with that photo. The photo says it all.

just my .02

Jim

I agree 110%. I recently got an Emil Brown broken bat which was photomatched. The team had taped it together but I actually took the tape off and displayed it in 2 pieces. I love the way it looks with it broken in 2

gameusedfan
06-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the information. I am letting my son display it in his room so why not let him decide? I will probably have the bat repair guy take a look at it if we want to go that route.

Sounds like it is just a matter of preference. It doesn't hurt the value, it is just how you want to display it.

Thanks again.

Roger

GoTigers
06-19-2008, 03:37 PM
I have a Miguel Cabrera bat with awsome use, but it's in two pieces. I had the same problem with the tape/zip tie/etc. I put one tiny glue dot just to hold them together, so they'd display better. I felt tape would detract from the display, but if I had a photo match like that, I'd probably leave them in pieces... That's an awsome action photo that tells the story

CampWest
06-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Of course, do what you want, but in my opinion its a waste of an awesome photo match --- And thats an awesome photo by the way --- to repair that bat. If you repair the bat, I think it makes that photo match less intriguing. I think you could make an awesome display using that photo and the two pieces. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy.

And could be a great talking piece"s" (sorry for the pun), especially if maple gets banned or restricted in meetings next week or further down the road. Thats a proto-type bat break to the whole discussion of re-evaluating the role of maple bats in MLB.

I think its awesome as is.

Vintagedeputy
06-19-2008, 04:13 PM
what would be awesome would be to mount the parts in the exact same position that they are in the photo.

gameusedfan
06-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks for all your responses. I think I will keep it broken, now the trick is going to be how to mount them. I might make a smaller version of the jersey cases I have, put some black felt or velvet in the background and then get the pieces in. Does anyone have any opinions about where I could buy or what I could use to hold the pieces in place prior to mounting up on the wall?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Roger

suave1477
06-20-2008, 09:14 AM
I would say get some pieces of wood bevel out the ends so the bat pieces can lay on them snug. Cover up the pieces of wood in the black felt/velvet so they dont stick out and put them in the case standing upright

karamaxjoe
06-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Roger,
If you can get a copy of the USA today for 6/24, it looks like your Utley bat is on page 5 of the Sports section. The article would be nice to add to a display.

Mike