PDA

View Full Version : Game used Gloves

cjclong
03-02-2006, 04:51 PM
After collecting bats for several years I have decided to branch out and add some gloves, particularly for pitchers. When I was growing up most gloves were broken in pretty throughly. However, it seems most of the pitchers gloves I've come across, and especially for a closer, seem to be pretty stiff. After checking that the glove is the proper make and model for a player is there any way to check game use authenticity or do you just have to take it on faith? I'm trying to learn so nay help would be appreciated.

kingjammy24
03-03-2006, 03:36 PM
There's always a degree of faith with every purchase in this hobby. Ideally though, you'd want to limit that faith to as little as possible by doing as much research as possible.
Unfortunately I can't help with glove analysis as I don't collect gloves and never have. What I will say is to use some common sense.. do you really think that players today prefer a new, stiff glove? I'm willing to bet that when it comes to gloves, most players today aren't all that different from players 20 yrs ago in that they prefer a glove that's been properly broken in. I could be wrong but it just seems to make sense, not just for MLB players but for anyone who plays baseball period. I wouldn't use a stiff glove in a neighborhood game, I can't see why a MLB player would use one in a pro game. I'm willing to guess that gloves on the market which don't appear broken in and show no use are exactly that; gloves which weren't used. Even if the model number and codes match up, what does it matter if the glove shows no use? It's similar to game-used jerseys. I see lots of jerseys that have the proper tagging, proper fonts, proper size, etc., but show no actual use. I have no interest in them because I collect game-WORN jerseys, not game-issued jerseys. As 'proper' and 'correct' as a jersey may seem, to me it's all pointless if it shows no use.

Rudy.

suave1477
03-03-2006, 03:54 PM
KingJammy, i agree with what your saying as in your reference to Game Used as Opposed to Game Issued.
The one thing I do think is cool about Game Issued is to buy it for you to actually wear it, its like wearing the exact Jersey your favorite player was meant to wear but with out taking anything away from the jersey he actually wore.
I think you ruin the jersey if you wear a Game Used Jersey.

Another thing what is cool by collecting the game issue and game used you can collect the whole set of a particular year.

For example I have all of darryl strawberry home jerseys of 1999 game used and issued, so that means no one else can have one out there of him except for me. There is only one left of that year I do not have and Darryl has that one unless he sells it to the public, I have all the rest!!

MLB2006
03-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Hello, If I can help you on Fielding Gloves email me at BURNS1996@AOL.COM I have been collecting Gloves for many years and have a very good knowledge about them. Good Luck! JIM