PDA

View Full Version : Longest Last name in MLB?

metsbats
06-15-2008, 07:11 PM
I was looking at the Mets/Rangers box score.

Is Jarod Saltalamacchia own the longest name in MLB now?

David

Fnazxc0114
06-15-2008, 07:23 PM
the guys on the rangers broadcast last year said he did have the longest name. on his jersey's his name goes from arm pit to arm pit

metsbats
06-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks! I just realized he used to play for the Braves and was part of the trade for Texiera. There was a previous thread about his name being the longest last year too.

David

BMH
06-15-2008, 09:29 PM
I was looking at the Mets/Rangers box score.

Is Jarod Saltalamacchia own the longest name in MLB now?

David

My guys in branding had a small party when he finally signed a contract. It's not much fun putting the letters of his name in the fixture backwards.

kylehess10
06-15-2008, 11:27 PM
I used to have one of his bats from when he played in the minors and brought up with him to the majors.......it was a signature model and believe it or not, Salty didn't appreviate anything! He signed his whole last name in his autos. I'm sure thats different now that he gets more attention.

Fnazxc0114
06-16-2008, 12:59 AM
heres a pic of my salty bat with his current sig
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll236/jgrogers1978/baseball015.jpg

metsbats
06-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Looks like he got tired of signing every letter of his name after he signed the HB contract!

Nice bats.

-David

BMH
06-16-2008, 09:46 PM
It's funny how the autographs are done anymore, same with model making. It used to be a process where we would go to the player, the player would sign his name multiple times and then he'd pick one. That sig would be cut off the paper and sent to Kohler to be made into an autograph. Now everything is done by fax. We'll receive a paper with multiple sigs on it and not one of them marked as the one he wants.

For models, there would have to be three people to sign off on the model before it was made. The player, Pro bat supervisor and the lathe operator. Then it would be side written and put in the vault. Now, I get some sort of combination of parts from a player, his rep or our sales guys to be made into a model. Then there are the bats sent in from players they wish to be copied. The only check I have is myself. It may sound weird, but I feel it's lost some of it's value...

Today, I can't think of the players name (I'm tired) but he wanted a S371 barrel (the S371 is a M356 with a C243 handle) and a M356S handle. I started laughing to myself as I read the email. If there was a way to make it clearer to the players what each model was then I probably wouldn't be making all these damn new models. I ended up giving him a M356S and calling it the S375. That way he gets that warm fuzzy feeling in his stomach.

Oh, and I leave again Wednesday for a cruise. Yes, it's rough but I have to do it! So I probably won't be answering anything until this coming Sunday night.

SkubeBats
06-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Brian,
You say that you would cut the signature from the paper and send it to Kohler to be made into an autograph can I ask who Kohler is.
Thanks,
Jamie

godwulf
06-17-2008, 05:12 PM
I watched Salty play in the 2006 CONCEBE Olympic quals tournament here in Phoenix, and I remember in particular how quick he was behind the plate for a big guy, and how he hit two home runs in the game against, I think it was, Panama, and how the first one was one of the hardest hit balls I've ever seen - a line drive that cleared the left field fence at Hohokam Stadium in about two seconds. I was amazed that the Braves let this guy go.

David
06-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Somewhat off topic, but when I was growing up there was a man in my home town last named Zzyzzx (pronounced Zizex), which made him alphabetically last in the world.