PDA

View Full Version : Ken Griffey Pine Tar Helmet

skipcareyisfat
03-02-2006, 01:10 PM
This post has nothing to do with authenticity. It's just for fun. The photo of the "pine tar" cracked me up. Rudy, is your kid selling stuff on ebay now?

http://cgi.ebay.com/KEN-GRIFFEY-JR-GAME-USED-BATTING-HELMET-AUTOGRAPHED-COA_W0QQitemZ8774304523QQcategoryZ50117QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Jason

suave1477
03-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Skip well while your on the topic, what do you think of the item? It seems to be a pretty good deal!! A game used batting helmet from Jr. while he was on the mariners from a AL WEST Champ game and its autographed!! Sounds like a good deal!!!

skipcareyisfat
03-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Suave,
$150 is indeed a bargain if the helmet is real. If I was interested in bidding on it, I'd need a little more info than what's currently provided. E.g, I'd want to see the inside of the helmet. I'd also like to find out where it came from, if possible, since I doubt "Bigfoot's Cards and Comics" had an exclusive game used deal with Jr., as the COA doesn't mention anything about it being game used. I not really into the pine tar explanation anyway. The entire story is sketchy, at best. The seller states Jr. "used it during the 1995-96 AL West Champ game." What does that mean? Even if it was used in the post season, you'd think a COA - however worthless it might be - would mention it.

I've seen a number of signed Jr. authtentic M's helmets that have the 24 on the back. My guess is that one of them was touched by a pair of dirty hands. Besides, unless I'm 100% comfortable with the source, I tend to stay away from star helmets.
Jason

skipcareyisfat
03-03-2006, 12:42 PM
BTW, The COA was written on 5-12-96 - about five months before the '96 post season.

suave1477
03-03-2006, 04:16 PM
You are not going to believe this!!! I emailed the seller questioning the item and its funny what you said about was this someones kid who listed it. Either this really is a kid listing this item or the person is very uneducated!!!

The email I recieved back was so poorly written most of the words was spelled incorrectly!!!

hblakewolf
03-03-2006, 04:27 PM
Both Mill Creek Sports and Coast to Coast Sports in Washington State were selling unworn Griffey helmets exactly like this one. They were completely honest about the helmet being unworn, however, as you can see their LOA is no longer with it stating that.

Feel free to call Mill Creek Sportscards (Millcreek, Washington) and they will inform you of the same info.

The game helmets they sold, and likewise, the Griffey game helmets I have seen that came from them all showed quite a bit of use-not a single fingerprint on a basically mint helmet.

FYI

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net