PDA

View Full Version : Zanebats

jetersbatboy
06-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Over the last couple of weeks i noticed this name came up very often, and its making me very skeptical about purchasing things from him. he now has what appears to be a very nice arod bat up for sale, but from the photos it looks like there is not that much use to it, i was wondering if you guy as forum feel this is a safe product to purchase?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Alex-Rodriguez-Game-Used-Bat-New-York-Yankees-Mariners_W0QQitemZ320263537722QQihZ0

ILOVENEWYORK!!!!

Sheffield11
06-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Even if this bat is real, which i dont believe it is. i would not pay anywhere near $2000 for it. you could probably find a signed bat with a proper MVP LOA for not too much more.

SkubeBats
06-14-2008, 09:33 PM
If you ask me it looks like there is a number on the knob something like -4 I can't make out the first number though it isn't 13 that for sure. What do you think?
Thanks,
Jamie

Sheffield11
06-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Pretty sure it says 31.4 as in ounces. which is a pretty common number, doesnt add or subtract anything for me, i still dont trust it and wouldnt pay half that for it.

suave1477
06-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Just in my personal opinion I stick with MVP when it comes to AROD stuff

ballofbases@hotmail.com
06-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Looks like a 24 to me. Maybe a Cano gamer??? Any pics of him using any of Arod's bats?

Michael
Ballofbases@Hotmail.com

BMH
06-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Nope, that is 31.4oz...I ought to know since it's my hand writing;)

We weigh off and mark every bat for several players. Arod is one of the one we do it for.

jetersbatboy
06-15-2008, 03:55 AM
The price is a high and I have seen others for less. But I was really looking for a LS Arod gamer, I did see the PSA Arod gamer on ebay now is a nice bat to but I have a feeling it going to sell for a lot more.
as for the authenticity part that is a real seem to be a big question for everyone so I'll stay away
thanks Scott

jetersbatboy
06-15-2008, 04:05 AM
i was told, don't drink and drive. But i guess its not good to drink and type either

mdube16
06-15-2008, 06:58 AM
BMH saying that is his handwriting would go a long way to saying that bat is authentic for me. If you think the price is too high then thats a different story.

Sheffield11
06-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Just because its BHM's writing doesnt mean anything, there are plenty of Arod issued bats out there.

MSpecht
06-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Wow-- pretty tough crowd here.

Remember, it was only about 10 years ago that no records were available for any H & B professional model bats except for the occasional phone call to Rex Bradley. Prior to that time, what did collectors do in order to "make sure" of an item's authenticity? Here is the way it was stated in early LOAs (this statement is a slight revision from the original early pre-1990 Michael Montbriand LOAs):

"It is rare to have actually seen a player use the specific bat one is acquiring for his or her collection. The best to hope for, in most instances, is to acquire a player's professional model bat made during his playing career, with proper labeling for the period, which has close specifications to those which the player is known or believed to have used, and which shows evidence of game use, with the presence of individual game use characteristics common to the player, if known."

With this Arod bat, a huge first step has been taken with Brian confirming that it is a bat that was sent directly to Rodriguez for his professional use, and includes a specificly-requested (by Arod) weight notation that was applied at H & B by Brian himself. That immediately takes this bat out of the realm of anything other that a professional model bat (such as a promo bat, presentation bat, signing bat, show bat, whatever) that obviously matches Rodriguez' personal H & B factory records and was shipped to him.

Beyond that, the collector must decide for himself the value of adding this bat to his collection, based on the 20-year-old standards cited above that, in the absence of seeing a player use a specific bat, have stood the test of time.

Just to throw my two cents in about Zane Burns -- we have known each other for many years, have bought bats from, and sold bats to, each other, and have on occasion corrected one another's error on a bat. Our first transaction dates back from at least 15 years or so, to as recently as two months ago. I have never had cause to question his integrity, or his willingness to 'make things right' if an error has been made.

For those interested in a more in-depth look at the historical aspect of collecting game used bats, here's a link:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/blog/post.php?topic=151

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Rob L
06-15-2008, 01:51 PM
What's with all the Zane bashing lately? The guy is top notch all the way.

Tedw9
06-15-2008, 02:33 PM
I can't speak from a game used standpoint, but he had listed a couple of times a World Series black bat that I had wanted for some time. His buy it now price was $100 higher that his starting bid. When I had saved up enough to meet the opening price, I sent him a message through Ebay asking when he was listing it again, that I would be bidding the opening amount.

He replied back to me within an hour and included a link to the bat listed, at a Buy It Now price $100 lower than he had been listing it, so I could buy it at that price.

I got a very quick reply, what I felt was a fair price, he went out of his way to list it just for me, and shipped it quickly and for a fair cost. I now always look at his auctions, I liked the service I got and the price I paid. But that is just my experience with him.

brianborsch
06-15-2008, 02:38 PM
I have had nothing but great dealings with him!

jetersbatboy
06-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Everyone has a opinion on zane, some seem to be good and some bad. Not personally knowing the guy or having any dealings with him I ask the forums opinion. There is enough bad out there that I would not purchase from him, not saying that this should be yours. Its just mine.
And to zane if your a member of this forum I was not trying to bash you I was just trying to make a good decision on my part. I do apologize if this is how it has come off.
Best Regards Scott

BMH
06-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Just because its BHM's writing doesnt mean anything, there are plenty of Arod issued bats out there.

You do have a very good point. I can at least say the bat in question was shipped to Arod, what he did with it is anyone's guess. Hell, I marked several orders for Barry Bonds in 2005, 2006 and 2007...you see how many of those are game used:rolleyes:

skyking26
06-16-2008, 07:14 AM
Wow-- pretty tough crowd here.

Remember, it was only about 10 years ago that no records were available for any H & B professional model bats except for the occasional phone call to Rex Bradley. Prior to that time, what did collectors do in order to "make sure" of an item's authenticity? Here is the way it was stated in early LOAs (this statement is a slight revision from the original early pre-1990 Michael Montbriand LOAs):

"It is rare to have actually seen a player use the specific bat one is acquiring for his or her collection. The best to hope for, in most instances, is to acquire a player's professional model bat made during his playing career, with proper labeling for the period, which has close specifications to those which the player is known or believed to have used, and which shows evidence of game use, with the presence of individual game use characteristics common to the player, if known."

With this Arod bat, a huge first step has been taken with Brian confirming that it is a bat that was sent directly to Rodriguez for his professional use, and includes a specificly-requested (by Arod) weight notation that was applied at H & B by Brian himself. That immediately takes this bat out of the realm of anything other that a professional model bat (such as a promo bat, presentation bat, signing bat, show bat, whatever) that obviously matches Rodriguez' personal H & B factory records and was shipped to him.

Beyond that, the collector must decide for himself the value of adding this bat to his collection, based on the 20-year-old standards cited above that, in the absence of seeing a player use a specific bat, have stood the test of time.

Just to throw my two cents in about Zane Burns -- we have known each other for many years, have bought bats from, and sold bats to, each other, and have on occasion corrected one another's error on a bat. Our first transaction dates back from at least 15 years or so, to as recently as two months ago. I have never had cause to question his integrity, or his willingness to 'make things right' if an error has been made.

For those interested in a more in-depth look at the historical aspect of collecting game used bats, here's a link:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/blog/post.php?topic=151

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com
My 2 cents on Zane - I have known him for probably 20/30 years I have been collecting. His stuff is always good. He is customer minded and will pick me out of a crown at the National every year to say hello...

JETEFAN
06-16-2008, 07:56 AM
Zane is top notch and stands behind what he sells, I have known him for years and he will resolve all issues if any.

George

3arod13
06-16-2008, 08:12 AM
All,

I believe it was my previous post, which I requested be deleted due to the negativity is was causing against Zane (which was not my intention), that is now causing these negative comments against Zane to continue.

I would like to ask everyone to please stop. Unless you have factual and specific information about a piece he is selling, that warrants discussion (not attacking), then please don't make negative comments about Zane.

I have no issues with Zane. I have never dealt with him or had any verbal or email communication with him. I have nothing against him at all.

The only purpose of my previous post was to ask your opinion on whether you think a person of importance within the hobby should speak up about an item he sold (no matter how many hands it changed), and is now being questioned in the forum. Nothing more than that.

My error was in my wording, which seems to now have resulting in Zane being continuously attacked. Me using words that questioned his integrity and honesty, wasn't warranted. It was my error for wording the post incorrectly, which cause this negative reaction.

Again, I please ask that everyone stop the attack against Zane. Unless you have factual and specific information about a piece he is selling, that warrants discussion (not attacking), then please don't make negative comments about Zane.

I regret I made my previous post.

Regards, Tony

skyking26
06-16-2008, 08:44 AM
All,

I believe it was my previous post, which I requested be deleted due to the negativity is was causing against Zane (which was not my intention), that is now causing these negative comments against Zane to continue.

I would like to ask everyone to please stop. Unless you have factual and specific information about a piece he is selling, that warrants discussion (not attacking), then please don't make negative comments about Zane.

I have no issues with Zane. I have never dealt with him or had any verbal or email communication with him. I have nothing against him at all.

The only purpose of my previous post was to ask your opinion on whether you think a person of importance within the hobby should speak up about an item he sold (no matter how many hands it changed), and is now being questioned in the forum. Nothing more than that.

My error was in my wording, which seems to now have resulting in Zane being continuously attacked. Me using words that questioned his integrity and honesty, wasn't warranted. It was my error for wording the post incorrectly, which cause this negative reaction.

Again, I please ask that everyone stop the attack against Zane. Unless you have factual and specific information about a piece he is selling, that warrants discussion (not attacking), then please don't make negative comments about Zane.

I regret I made my previous post.

Regards, Tony
Always an issue here. Has been one with me in the past and now Zane. If an issue arises, people flock from everywhere to burn a guy at the stake. Ridiculous. People just do not have enough to do with their time. 99% of the comments come from those who have no involvement in the situation.