PDA

View Full Version : Restoring a cracked bat

jetersbatboy
06-09-2008, 03:14 AM
how do you feel about restoring a cracked bat is this a good thing to have done, do you think it takes away from the genuine authentic quality by having it fixed or does it add to the value to have it repaired. i have a Arod bat i am thinking about having it repaired its kind of a good size crack about 8 inches on the handle but its still in one piece. i would appreciate your thoughts.

skyking26
06-09-2008, 04:57 AM
I like to repair cracks myself, not liking then myself. I would not say it adds to the value one way or another - it is personal preference...

RK

Jags Fan Dan
06-09-2008, 09:04 AM
I agree with Skyking, it is personal preference. I repair my bats only if the crack prevents the bat from being handled at all. I like to take my bats down and let people hold them if they want. If there is a higher up handle crack, no problem. If it is lower down and there is a piece sticking out, I will fix it if at all possible.

orioles03
06-09-2008, 10:18 AM
when tom trebelhorn was with the orioles he would always take the broken bats and repair them he gave me a bat that sammy sosa hit a home run with when he was with the orioles after he hit the home run the next at bat he broke the bat and tom took the bat up to his locker and fixed it you can barely tell it was cracked

jetersbatboy
06-09-2008, 03:23 PM
does anyone know of a good place to send my bat to get repaired

Rob L
06-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Personally, I fix all the cracks myself. I still want the crack visible, but alot of people come through my office and like to handle the bats, so I prefer that they are glued to keep them from falling apart when someone swings them.

As far as repairs go, Fred Lowman is the best. Here's his website:

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/9158/batrepair.html

bigtruck260
06-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Jeff Scott also does repairs - and they are very good. Birdbats.com

I will repair bats with a value under $500 - and I am adequate at it. I too like to see the crack, as it legitimizes it for me. For some strange reason, I always get nervous when I present an unsigned, uncracked bat to a player for his signature.

On more than one occasion, I have had a player tell me that the bat I had was probably stolen at one point from either his locker, or the dugout.

When I asked why, one of them said

"I don't give away my bats uncracked."

Even last week, I had a current Cards player (who is gaining popularity, let's just say his name is Hiram Mudwick) ask me if the bat he was signing was cracked while inspecting the custom tape. I told him it was repaired, and he relaxed a little. I have a feeling if I had told him no, it might have been ugly.