PDA

View Full Version : Let me tell ya about my favorite gamer....

gingi79
06-06-2008, 01:54 PM
I originally posted this on another hockey game worn board but after I re-read it, I realized my story may not be unique. It's a little long to read but I'm biased and think it's worth it. :p Do you have a story about a game used item that touches you? I'd love to hear it! Post here or email me at gingi79@aol.com. All too often in this hobby we hear about fake stuff, people being ripped off or negative publicity. Here's my positive story. Enjoy!

"I am a Vancouver Canucks fan. In the late 1980's as a skinny kid on Long Island rebelling against the norm meant picking a team as far from my life as possible. One could not dream of a team further away than my boys from Vancouver.

With the exception of 1982 and 1994, Canucks fans do not have a lot of fond memories of great teams to help get us through the long off-season when my team suffers their seemingly inevitable last loss of the season. As a long time fan, my favorite players are not hall of famers or continuous all stars. Most people never heard of Thomas Gradin, Jyrkki Lumme or Cliff Ronning. The team has only retired one number, "The Stanley Steamer" #12 Stan Smyl. We are not the Canadiens or the Leafs. We've never won a Cup, played in only 2 Finals in 38 years and have had one superstar in Pavel Bure. (Mogilny doesn't count, he is a Sabre)
With the exception of Trevor Linden, I cannot think of any other player the Canucks will honor by retiring his number in the first 40 years of our franchise.

What makes this team enamored upon my soul however is best summed up by a set of cards I once owned of the team from the early 1990's. Everyone on the team was dressed in construction uniforms simulating the "rebuilding" of the franchise when they built the new stadium. This "lunchpail" mentality rang true to me. A bunch of guys who played with all heart and showed up every night to try their best. 1982 and especially 1994 were about a bunch of guys sweating through a season on heart rather than talent. They made the Finals and pushed the evil Edmonton Rangers (or is it the New York Oilers?) to 7 games, out matched, out talented and out paid. I thought my team had lost that mentality in the last 10 years until a talented and gutsy kid started playing for them on Defense. Much like Clarkson's own Willie Mitchell, Luc Bourdon personified raw talent and lunch pail determination. I was thrilled to have him on the Canucks. Seeing as I am a Defense kinda guy, Luc was the future All Star Defenseman I always wanted the Canucks to draft.

I thought, much like Bure, that Luc's game worn jerseys would never be attainable. $1000 for a preseason shirt, MeiGray Documents or not, was not in my price range. "Oh well", I thought to myself, "At least I have years of watching him to look forward to......"

Then ESPN sent a ticker under a Women' College Softball World Series game that said:

"Vancouver Canucks Rookie Defenseman Luc Bourdon killed in car accident. He was 21"

I gasped. I frowned. My friend Jeff called me 10 minutes later and asked me if he was any good.

"The future of my team and a competitive heart I wish they would clone," was my response.

As many have stated before, thank god for Barry Meisel. I didn't know Luc and it isn't my business what people do with his stuff. However, had it been my son, my brother, my friend, I would have wanted to know his parents received his jerseys rather than money-grubbing people hell bent on making a buck on his tragic death.

A collector I respect on another board made mention of the fact there was a typo on www.nhlgameworn.com (http://www.nhlgameworn.com/) listing Luc's first two pre-season Canucks gamers as "Lou" Bourdon. What I am betting no one else knew is that I saw this typo first, less than 2 hours after Luc's death was reported. I notified Barry that these listing existed and offered to pay money to help send Luc's gamers to his parents. If they weren't interested or they really were still for sale, I would find a way to own one to save it from the card companies or some dirtbag who would resell it at some outrageous price to profit on this horrible time in Canucks history. (I then saw that Barry had already planned to do this. There is only one MeiGray ladies and gentlemen and the integrity of Barry and his staff is immeasurable)

Barry was generous enough to respond to my email and offered to sell me one of the two pre-season gamers a few days ago. I cannot say enough about how honored I am to own it. I own 3 jerseys right now that will Never be for sale:

Pavel Bure's White Orca 1997/98 Canucks jersey

Trevor Linden's Alternate Third Orca and

Luc Bourdon's preseason white jersey from 2005.

I didn't buy it for it's monetary value, I bought it because of what might have been. Every time I look at it, I smile. I don't take life for granted and I try to live with my whole heart. You can bet every time I see a Canuck player throw his body into a check and play balls-to-the wall, I'll look at this jersey, grin and say, "That was a Bourdon kind of play""

bigtruck260
06-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Great post - and I can totally relate to it.

I lost a favorite player in 2002 when Darryl Kile died - he was the cog that kept the Cardinals in playoff contention, and his death is a shocking as anything that has happened in the city of STL in the past 2 decades...including the suicide of a very popular meteorolgist (Bob Richards), the Champion seasons of the Cards in 2006 and the Rams in 99/00. The death of Kile impacted the whole city...it was a terrible time.

When Josh Hancock's life ended last year, it was strangely different. It was almost like we were "used" to it...and then when the news came that he had been drinking with some "grass" in his car - some folks tried to make him into a villian.

If we had Josh Hancock right now, we would certainly be a better team this year...and might have done better last year. He was an innings eater, and a mop-up guy who often saved pitchers in a thankless role.

He made a mistake. He paid for it dearly, and publicly. By all accounts, he was a competitor, and a good friend. Many of those hurling stones and nasty insults no doubt got behind the wheel at some point after a few glasses of wine or bottles of beer...nobody is perfect...but many tend to be holier than thou when scolding others for their behavior.

The fact is, he was a single, young, rich and somewhat famous guy in a city that worships its baseball players. He was royalty, even if he was a long-relief guy. Outside of work, his life was probably as normal as another other single man with money in STL. I thought he was valuable on the field, and that's all I really cared about.

I have been looking for a hat of Kile's for a long time. Something simple...the jerseys should go to his kids/wife/friends. I just want something I can put on display and sparks converstation about someone who had a positive, lasting effect on baseball. Rick Ankiel still talks about Darryl's friendship in interviews regularly.

I was digging through the hat shelves at this year's winter warm-up...and discovered a #32 among the sweaty, stained, smelly mess. It caused me to reflect on how short life is...and just when you think you are at the peak of everything, there is that chance that the lights can go out without you ever knowing what happened.

Thanks for sharing your story. I enjoyed it.

mariner_gamers
06-06-2008, 05:35 PM
This is a great thread and for me very timely..

In 1998 my wife and I headed to our first Mariners Spring Training season in Peoria AZ. The '98 M's were all the rage with Junior, Unit, Arod, Ed-GAR, Bone, Segui etc all in their prime.

I had been collecting game used bats for about 3 years at that point and I couldn't wait to get them signed. I figured Junior would be tough but I would have a better shot at him there than at the Kingdome. Buhner, Edgar, Wilson, Russ Davis come on I am going to nail these guys. After all players must love it when you show up with one of their game used bats....right???

Needless to say we saw Griffey in the golf cart to the dugout; 2 ab's and then carted out all week. Buhner and Edgar were just as bad they actually seemed annoyed I had one of their old bats. Finally after 3 games I get Russ Davis to sign his bat for me. He scribbled R- D-, gave me a dirty look and said something nasty to me. Jeez, uh, perhaps this spring training and autograph thing ain't for me. I would have preferred it if Russ had just kept walking instead of belittling me in front of 40 other M's fans. I am at the park for crying out loud not bothering him at the In-N-Out Burger.

Its our last day and I don't even want to go to the game. It is at Tempe Diablo Stadium and I was at the point I wanted to hit the batting cages and mini-cart racers. My wife talks me into going and tells me to bring my bats one last time. Alright we'll see.

The Mariner's enter the stadium and I don't think any of them even signed an item. The game ends and the M's are walking across the field to the back parking lot. I ask Buhner he shakes his head no, I ask Edgar, his reply, "that's not my bat" alright honey time to go... Then out walks John Marzano.

John is all wrapped up and talking with a coach. My wife hollars "Mr. Marzano will you sign your bat for us?" To my shock and amazement I hear him tell the coach "I'll catch up with ya." The John walks over to us with a smile and asks how we are enjoying spring training. Then he looks the bat over, asks where I got it, comments on the use and signs it. As he is walking away I ask about the names Dominique and Danielle he had written on the knob. He replied, "They are my daughters and they have always brought me good luck. Enjoy the rest of your trip!" Needless to say we had a wonderful story to take back to Seattle with us and "Johnny Marz" had made two new fans.

When I read of John's passing on this forum it made me sick to my stomach. Suddenly I was back on that warm spring day and my thoughts went to Dominique and Danielle. He may have been a back-up catcher in 1998 but to this day out of 300 bats his game bat means the most......

http://a289.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/99/l_259e15bada1323997c48c2aa42cf0770.jpg

http://a932.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/105/l_79e88826e59cddccfafdc966ba88da43.jpg

Thanks for this thread!
Davis

jake33
06-07-2008, 08:47 AM
I am not a big helmet collector, but about 2 years ago, I saw a seller with a storege unit in Dallas sell items of former FB darian barnes, barnes did not pay his rent after he went to miami. The seller auctioned off all the items in the rental unit.

I bought a game used Bucs jersye with 14 team repiars from 2004, got a photomatch vs. atlanta where he had a forced fumble on special teams...

I also ended up getting his game used helmet and a photo album with 40 pics in it will game pictures. I was able to photo match the helmet to 3 games ALL from 2002 super bowl season...

vs. 49ers NFC divisional playoff game
vs. Steelers on MNF
at Eagles NFC title game
vs. RAIDERS FROM SUPER BOWL 37 -- was lead blocker on Alstott's touchdown!

GREAT GAME USE too.