PDA

View Full Version : Donating a Game Used Item...Would You Do It?

Dewey2007
06-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Just curious but would anyone be willing to donate a piece of game used equipment to a sports Hall of Fame knowing that they would probably not have it in their personal collection anymore?

I know folks here on the forum have a lot of major items in their collections so I was wondering if anyone has ever been approached about donating a particular piece or has anyone actually donated something to a major sports HOF? If so, which piece was it?

ironmanfan
06-03-2008, 12:13 PM
While I haven't "donated" per se, I have lent (contract in place) several items from my collection to be displayed at the Sports Legends Museum, Babe Ruth Museum & Ripken Museum and I can say that all of those experiences have been positive ones. My attitude has been that I'd like to share things with many people (safely) as opposed to just having something in a closet or hung on a wall that only I can enjoy.

metsbats
06-03-2008, 12:30 PM
I have 4 Gary Carter milestone hit bats which I approached the HOF back in 2003 about lending them for the Carter Induction and display. Their committee brought it up for consideration but I was subsquently told that they had enough items to fill Carter's display (from Carter) and they declined.

I wonder if I had offered them a donation of the item had things worked out differently.

I wanted to keep the bats in my collection which is why i didn't want to donate them.

David

bigtruck260
06-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Yes.

As long as the parameters were set, and it was put into writing that the items would not be handled by anyone but curators - I would do it in a second. It's one thing when your friends think your stuff is cool,

and a whole new level when a museum wants to check it out.

Doubtful this would happen to me, but I would be open to it. Especially if it was a high value item. Chances are, it is safer in a museum (unless it is a presidential signed baseball)...

grandpahoo
06-03-2008, 12:41 PM
I donated a few things from my collection for an auction a college buddy of mine put together for his son's school, which specializes in treating autistic kids. It was for a great cause, plus donating the stuff allowed me to pretend like I'm a good person for a couple of days. That's what we call a "win-win."

allstarsplus
06-03-2008, 01:19 PM
I donated a few things from my collection for an auction a college buddy of mine put together for his son's school, which specializes in treating autistic kids. It was for a great cause, plus donating the stuff allowed me to pretend like I'm a good person for a couple of days. That's what we call a "win-win."

I couldn't agree with you more. The problem with the public at large is they would rather have a clean unused bat than a game used bat because they don't understand the whole game used aspect so I generally like donating experiences like a day at ESPN or Golf w/ a ballplayer, but it seems that some bidders also want something to walk away with so I will donate items like autographed balls, sports art, and stuff like that.

Here was a cool twist on "Game Used" items as we did Game Used ballplayers. We recently completed doing the auction items for the "Woman of the Year" for Leukemia/Lymphoma and the top auction prizes were dates with Washington Nationals baseball bachelors and local celebrity bachelorettes. It was a ton of fun that drew a diverse group of on-lookers and bidders with all the proceeds going to Leukemia/Lymphoma.

That's what we call a "win-win."Again to quote you, a "win-win" and a lot of fun for a great cause.

MUSEOVEN
06-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Yes.. I Donated To The Baseball Hall Of Fame Here In Venezuela 4 Jerseys (luis Aparicio, Gustavo Polidor, Angel Bravo And Other).. See The Photos Of The Inaguration

DonTheLegend
06-03-2008, 03:49 PM
im with most in saying that i would "lend" an item only.

there would definitely have to be a signed document stating that and terms outlined and agreed upon.

if things continue to go well for me, i may open up my own "traveling" Ray Lankford exhibit.

....still looking for GU 1997 all star or home run derby items. if anyone is willing to sneak into Rays home, im offering good money. =)

Vintagedeputy
06-03-2008, 08:15 PM
I'd hate to see someone's personal collection turn into the signed Presidential baseballs debacle again.....

gingi79
06-04-2008, 02:42 PM
This board has little by way of Hockey but this seems relevant.

I contacted Barry Meisel at MeiGray after Vancouver Canucks Defenseman Luc Bourdon was killed last week in a motorcycle accident. As a long time Canucks fan, I wanted to do my part to make sure Luc's family recieved his jerseys rather than the scavengers who would purchase them and increase the price to absurd levels trying to "cash in" on his tragic death. They were already pulled from www.meigray.com (http://www.meigray.com) and on a whim decided to check the old site. I even offered to pay some money to insure his jerseys were returned to who I percieved to be their rightful owner, his parents.

Not that it would surprise anyone that Barry had already thought of this idea himself but took it a step further and mailed all the jerseys he thought were in stock to the Canucks to give to his parents after the funeral. Due to a typo on www.nhlgameworn.com (http://www.nhlgameworn.com), Luc's first ever home and away Canucks jerseys, worn only in the Preseason of 2005 were still listed as available for sale. I notified Barry that I had found them and told him while I couldn't afford to buy one, I'd still be willing to donate money to send them back to his parents or I would find a way to buy one and put it away to keep. Forever.

I was astonished to hear back from Barry that I could purchase one! Needless to say, I jumped at the chance. If the Hockey HOF or the Canucks wanted me to lend it to them, I'd do it in a heartbeat (with an agreement of course as I refuse to give it up) However, if Luc's parents wanted it, I would return it to them.

I was crushed as a fan to hear of his passing. I am honored to own his jersey and it will remain in my family forever.

tigerdale
06-04-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm also with most, I'd be happy & honored to lend something to the hall of fame, but donating would just end up in their storage room in time. I contacted them about LENDING the final pitch thrown by a visiting player at tiger stadium for the stadium display. They wanted the item, sent fed ex papers & everything, but called it a donation in the paperwork...I could never get the wording resolved, so I never sent the baseball. Todd Jones ended up throwing the final pitch by a tiger, donated the ball, went the next season to look at it & it was missing, they never knew what happened to it is the story I heard....glad I kept mine.

allstarsplus
06-04-2008, 07:34 PM
This board has little by way of Hockey but this seems relevant.

I contacted Barry Meisel at MeiGray after Vancouver Canucks Defenseman Luc Bourdon was killed last week in a motorcycle accident. As a long time Canucks fan, I wanted to do my part to make sure Luc's family recieved his jerseys rather than the scavengers who would purchase them and increase the price to absurd levels trying to "cash in" on his tragic death. They were already pulled from www.meigray.com (http://www.meigray.com) and on a whim decided to check the old site. I even offered to pay some money to insure his jerseys were returned to who I percieved to be their rightful owner, his parents.

Not that it would surprise anyone that Barry had already thought of this idea himself but took it a step further and mailed all the jerseys he thought were in stock to the Canucks to give to his parents after the funeral. Due to a typo on www.nhlgameworn.com (http://www.nhlgameworn.com), Luc's first ever home and away Canucks jerseys, worn only in the Preseason of 2005 were still listed as available for sale. I notified Barry that I had found them and told him while I couldn't afford to buy one, I'd still be willing to donate money to send them back to his parents or I would find a way to buy one and put it away to keep. Forever.

I was astonished to hear back from Barry that I could purchase one! Needless to say, I jumped at the chance. If the Hockey HOF or the Canucks wanted me to lend it to them, I'd do it in a heartbeat (with an agreement of course as I refuse to give it up) However, if Luc's parents wanted it, I would return it to them.

I was crushed as a fan to hear of his passing. I am honored to own his jersey and it will remain in my family forever.

Great Post!!! Thanks.