PDA

View Full Version : Buying a gameball at the ballpark

richpick
05-31-2008, 02:05 PM
I attended Clayton Kershaw's first MLB start on Saturday May 25th. It was team photo day and i was able to get some great pictures of my daughter and almost all the Dodgers. In the third inning Kershaw was pitching and the final out was a fly to center and as Matt Kemp ran in he tossed the ball into the crowd and a family near me caught the ball. I asked the father if he wished to sell the ball and he said how much? I offered $50 and he said he would think about it. They left with the ball and did not sell it. If I had bought it I would have had the ball engraved like the ballhawk guy does and had my tickets as very weak proof. Was I insane or could you prove this was a gameball from Kershaws first MLB start. Would a letter from the family have helped. When Steiner sells the gameballs from that day they will probably be asking a huge amount.

Richpick

AWA85
05-31-2008, 08:51 PM
I would call that a fair offer and that is too bad they did not give it up to you. Many people just want the ball for the fact that they caught it. My buddy who was standing right next to me caught a foul ball from Adam Dunn at the new Busch stadium the first year it was open and he gave it to me, but something about it just doesn't seem the same. On to your next part, I would take a picture of yourself with the ball at the stadium still. Possibly putting your ticket stub and photo into a display with the ball would be a very good start to evidence. If it is an item you plan on just turning around and selling there isn't a whole lot of other things you could do. No offense but if I caught a ball and sold it to you, not sure I would want to sit there and right you a letter of how I caught it and when and where, but that is just me.

Would like to see those Steiner prices when they come out!