PDA

View Full Version : Bad eBay experience

b.heagy
05-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Just sharing a bad ebay experience. An ebayer theahwatukeeflash (http://myworld.ebay.com/theahwatukeeflash?&ssPageName=ADME:X:CEM:US:1181) was very unprofessional in my opinion. Buyer contacted me after an item I listed did not sell. He was looking to purchase the item (1991 Brett Favre Score Rookie card - not expensive either $6.49 shipped). I was under the impression that the card was an error since it is lacking the card number on the reverse. I researched the internet and all my books to see if it was a catalogued error or if I may have discovered it before listing it on the net. Buyer promplty paid me and I promtly mailed the card out. Buyer says card is fake and filed a dispute with paypal without contacting me first to resolve the issue and was very strong about accusing me of fraud for selling a "fake" item on ebay and that I basicly should be banned. I do not know if the card is fake or not at this point (does not seem to be the Favre rookie one would pick to be faked but who knows). I have never had a buyer like this one. I gladly refunded his money but also noted that I was not pleased with his example of defamation of character. Just thought some should be careful in case this guy bids on your items. Could be a great guy but he totally handled the situation in an unprofessional mannner in my opinion. If I was trying to pull one over on him I would never had sent him the card in the first place, and for $6.49? OK I'm done venting.

platinum1
05-30-2008, 11:23 PM
WOW!! For a card that he only paid $6.49 that guy sould be banned from Ebay. That's the only thing I hate about Ebay. That buyers like him get away with alot. One time I had a buyer leave me negative feedback stating he never received a couple of game used items. About 2 months later the buyer switches his user ID and puts the items I sold him on Ebay. I report him to Ebay and try to remove the negative feedback and Ebay tells me they cant to anything.

b.heagy
05-31-2008, 05:23 AM
I did the right thing, I refunded his money. Let him and paypal know I was disappointed in his approach. Now he sent me a threatening email and accuses me of making the card. I guess I have a "stalker". I don't get some people.

frikativ54
05-31-2008, 05:31 AM
I did the right thing, I refunded his money. Let him and paypal know I was disappointed in his approach. Now he sent me a threatening email and accuses me of making the card. I guess I have a "stalker". I don't get some people.

Could be a kid for whom six bucks is a lot of money.

sarahsdad
05-31-2008, 03:30 PM
If 6 bucks is a lot of money for him he should not be spending it on cards. He could get almost 2 gallons of gas instead.
Sarahsdad

David
06-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Forgers of sports cards don't sell them for only $6.49, and wouldn't make much of a living forging Score Brett Favres. There's a a reason forgers forge 1933 Goudey Babe Ruths and 1955 Topps Sany Koufaxes: they sell for a lot more money than forged 1989 Fleer Walt Weises.

jsmith117
06-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Only $6.49??? Yeah that's hardly anything! He should have contacted you prior to filing a dispute. Do you know if the card you sold him was a "fake"? Maybe the buyer's right in that the card was a "fake"?

b.heagy
06-01-2008, 05:16 PM
If I thought the card was fake I would never have offered it for sale. I will send in a couple examples to PSA to get their opinion just to be safe. I never asked to have the card sent back to me. The whole thing is bizarre in my opinion and maybe Frikativ54 is right I may be dealing with a kid or irrational person or a thief, 1. buyer says fake and files dispute without contacting me first, 2. says I should be banned from ebay, 3. he is going to monitor my listings to make sure I don't sell fake items on ebay, 4. basicly says I should be convicted in court for fraud, 5. later insinuated I am making the cards myself. 6. threatening emails. Since I stated in my last email that I would be seeking the opinion of PSA I have heard nothing from him. I honestly don't think a counterfieter would waste time on such a low end card. It lists at what $5.00 in beckett? give or take

jsmith117
06-02-2008, 02:51 AM
I think you are right in your assumption that the buyer could be a kid or irrational person or even a thief. However, I'm really intersted in what PSA says about the card. If it isn't a "fake" than the buyer is a thief! If it comes back from PSA and it is a "fake" than koodos to the buyer for catching it! He should have handled the situation a little more lightly. Threatening you without knowing whether or not you actually made what he believes to be a "fake" was not the correct course of action. I can't imagine how upset I'd be if I thought someone sold me something "fake". Let us know when you get the PSA report on whether or not the card is "fake". That should help clear up some of our assumptions. If it's not a "fake" I think I may be interested in buying one from you. I'm a Brett Favre fanatic! Please post it when you find out.

b.heagy
07-25-2008, 06:24 PM
Well after all this time I finally have my answer with much thanks to forum member scottanservitz who was kind enough to step up and help a guy out. I had sent an example of the card to Scott along with payment to PSA and a little extra $ and a duplicate of the card for Scott. Scott emailed me today to let me know that the card was posted as a N9 which means they do not grade factory misprinted cards. The card is authentic just ungradeable due to the factory misprint. I await the return of the card so I can proceed with my case. For such a little sale such a headache to prove that I am an honest person.

scottanservitz
07-25-2008, 09:21 PM
I just wanted to help clarify Bill's situation. I helped Bill out because I would hope we all would do the same if we indeed could. I have had others on this site help me such as Mike Specht does on a daily basis. So my understanding is that PSA indeed does think the card is just a factory misprint. They even are giving a voucher for the same service to prove that if it was indeed a fake, they would charge for the service and not give the voucher. So I am indeed happy for Bill to close this chapter. He was very thankful and went overboard in compensating for my help. I appreciate it and hope this kind of situation doesn't happen to any of us in the eBay world.....but you never know.

Scott

trsent
07-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Could be a kid for whom six bucks is a lot of money.

It doesn't matter if it is a kid or if six dollars means a lot to the customer.

Children should not be on eBay unless supervised by and adult and if this is a child who attached an honest user without first contacting them or having the card authenticated by an eBay 3rd party authenticator such as PSA or BGS then they should not be allowed to attack the user in their feedback profile as there is no reason eBay should allow children to abuse the system since they are not able to be legally be held accountable for their auction in a court of law.

Then again, back to your point, it doesn't matter if it is $6.00 or $600.00 or $6000.00. The user has not followed the proper eBay channels to show there is an issue here.

Finally, if $6.00 matters that much, buy food.

b.heagy
08-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Well, I got the card sent back to me by Scott with a label that read "Factory Mis-Print". I have relisted the item and sent paypal an email requesting that the buyer refund my money since he kept the card. Normally I would never bother or go through all this trouble and expense but the buyer was really out of line. Can't wait to see how paypal will handle this one. Thanks again Scott for all your help !

b.heagy
08-04-2008, 06:08 PM
just received this link from an ebay member. they also state the card is fake. what do you guys think?
http://sportscardinfo.wordpress.com/2008/05/21/how-to-spot-a-fake-1991-score-brett-favre-rookie-611/ (http://sportscardinfo.wordpress.com/2008/05/21/how-to-spot-a-fake-1991-score-brett-favre-rookie-611/)

jsmith117
08-05-2008, 02:55 PM
After reading that article, I went in pursuit of one of these supposed "fake" or unauthentic 1991 Score Brett Favre Rookie Cards. I found one! It looks exactly as this article description said. I really don't see how this card could be authentic if the NFLPA is unreadable under a magnifying glass. It looks like someone scanned the logo and then cut and pasted it. Also some of the fonts are comepletely different! Parts of the card's writing is fuzzy and other parts are absolutely clearly printed, but in a totally different color or font. Look real closely ... I've taken it to a few card dealers just to talk with them about it and I've even taken it to a guy who used to work as a BGS authenticator. They all think there are just too many disparities for it not to be fake. It's a real bummer too because I was hoping for a real "find" on this one. Oh well ....

jsmith117
08-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I hope PSA knows what they are doing ... read this

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2008/08/03/2008-08-03_feds_swarm_to_question_card_sharks.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2008/08/03/2008-08-03_feds_swarm_to_question_card_sharks.html)

b.heagy
08-05-2008, 04:12 PM
after having a nice professional conversation via email with the ebay member I agree that my example is fake. my example matches up perfectly to what is provided in the link. PSA did not slab my card but noted it as a N9 Factory Mis-Print when it appears that it should simply have been labeled "questionable authenticity". I learned something new. That's one thing about life, you never stop learning.