PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Forum Members

stew609
02-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Great forum, though my first experience was not. I'm new to this forum, but not to the hobby. I feel I have to air this grievance in hopes of it not happening again to me or another member.

I contacted a member about an item they listed for sale, asked for pics and payment methods. The seller promptly replied with both (Excellent). I loved the item, so asked for shipping costs, got all excited and the response was, "I sold it last night." (Bad) Naturally I was bummed.

I was p.o.'d at the treatment. If the seller had it sold, why send me the info without telling me another buyer was interested, if not, why not finish the deal with me before letting another buyer get it.

Definately no way to treat another collector.

sylbry
02-28-2006, 05:31 PM
I understand your frustration but can see how the seller would do something like that based on my experiences. Not long ago I contacted a seller of an item. After email discussions I decided I would buy the item. However I didn't pay until the next day.

I fully understand why the seller would keep marketing the item as "for sale" just in case my payment never showed up. Unlike ebay there are no feedback ratings and there is no reprocussions to buyers who commit to buy something but never pay. So you have to be cautious until the payment comes (or unless the buyer has a good reputation.)

All I can say is you win some and lose some and don't let this one time get you down. I am sure the seller had no intentions of treating you rude, it is just someone beat you to the punch.

Best of luck with your collection,

Bryan

stew609
02-28-2006, 07:09 PM
I agree that it may not have been intentional, but if a sale is pending, it should be noted. I have been into the Football and Hockey collectibles for a long time. It was my first attempt at Baseball and was an item that would have made me happy if it were the only Baseball item I ever got. Actually I would have paid twice the asking price and would have paid right away given the opportunity. Oh well, live and learn.

I just hope potential sellers get the message, be up front and give all the details first, it will save alot of bad feelings which can turn in to a forum nightmare.

Rob L
02-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Come on now, until someone makes a formal offer to buy something, everything is pending. It's ludicrous to demand that the seller tell you that others are looking at it also. Until a seller has a firm offer, they will answer everyones questions. It just seems that by the time you were ready to make an offer, someone beat you to it. It sucks to lose out but it's all part of this hobby.

Rob L

trsent
03-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Come on now, until someone makes a formal offer to buy something, everything is pending. It's ludicrous to demand that the seller tell you that others are looking at it also. Until a seller has a firm offer, they will answer everyones questions. It just seems that by the time you were ready to make an offer, someone beat you to it. It sucks to lose out but it's all part of this hobby.

I agree with Rob, you can't expect a seller to hold an item or tell you others are looking at it every time you inquire about an item for sale.

When a sale is posted on a forum such as this one, the first person to show up with the cash gets the item. The seller may receive multiple emails, they don't think they need to tell each person who emails that others are also interested in the item.

If you ask for them to hold the item for you I can understand if they agree and then sell it, but when you are emailing feelers and someone comes in with the cash, I can understand the seller just wanting to complete their sale.

stew609
03-01-2006, 07:00 AM

Rob L

You missed the point! There was no demand, it is just common courtesy. I have sold many things on other forums, if 2 or more people are interested in the item I let all parties know as a "Courtesy". Then the potential buyer knows to not waste time.

Had I known someone else was interested, My response to the pictures would have been "I'll take it", not "how much is shipping". Common courtesy is not an unreasonable demand.

stew609
03-01-2006, 07:21 AM
Another common courtesy would be to list the item as sold, It is still listed as for sale 4 days later.

earlywynnfan
03-01-2006, 10:37 AM
"Had I known someone else was interested, My response to the pictures would have been "I'll take it", not "how much is shipping". Common courtesy is not an unreasonable demand."

on the other hand, how would you know that the seller has another interested buyer? I hate checking into an item and hearing "someone else wants to buy it, you'd better decide quick." Either way, someone could complain about their treatment. I agree that it stinks that something you were all ready to buy got pulled out from under you, but as a seller, i'd have to say that there is no deal until you have the money. I've been left holding my item and getting no responses from a "very interested buyer" too many times.

Ken

stew609
03-01-2006, 11:08 AM
OK, I give. Apparently 10 years of buying and selling sports memorabilia has taught me nothing. I'll take this lesson learned and apply it to my dealings so I can fit in with the main stream.

both-teams-played-hard
03-01-2006, 01:37 PM
... I would have paid twice the asking price and would have paid right away given the opportunity...

Why not list your offer under the "WANTED" section? I'm sure the buyer would take the 100% profit!

gameusedfan
03-01-2006, 01:40 PM
For what it is worth, two "direct buy" dealers I have bought from who have been extremely courteous with me are Grey Flannel and Jim Yackel. Both answered all questions and the only thing they asked me for was my intent to buy. I told them a check was in the mail as a courtesy to their businesses and both thanked me for the order(s) and let me know the items were mine pending check clearance. On top of that, both had low shipping charges (Jim's was only $8 and GF was free). Although I have yet to pull the trigger on a couple items, MeiGray is also a great place for customer service as Barry Meisel (President) is very prompt with replying to emails and providing answers and scans.

Roger

stew609
03-01-2006, 02:34 PM
For the record, when I first inquired about the item, I asked if the seller accepted Paypal and that I would pay immediately if he did. He responded yes with the pictures I requested, then sold the item without affording me the chance to pay.

I have dealt with both Yackel and Meigray and find them both easy to work with. Both have always informed me when others were interested in an Item I wanted.