PDA

View Full Version : Auction consignments for sellers

seven4five20
02-28-2006, 04:11 PM
I am trying to collect opinions on auction houses. I really want to know what company is the best form a sellers prospective. This includes customer care, turnaround time, and overall payouts. Thanks

hblakewolf
02-28-2006, 04:31 PM
I am trying to collect opinions on auction houses. I really want to know what company is the best form a sellers prospective. This includes customer care, turnaround time, and overall payouts. Thanks

From my experience with current era knit jerseys, Vintage Authentics is by far the best. They do a great job of pre-selling the auction and pay the seller within 30 days. Both Steve and Mark answer phone calls and emails quickly, and will assist in providing information in a timely fashion. They also use the services of MEARS for the higher dollar items. A service that provides a worksheet and money back guarantee on each item.

Mastro also does a great job with the older jerseys, and seems to have a following for the vintage items.

On the flip side, the absolute worst auction house I have ever dealt with is American Memorabilia. My items were often incorrectly listed, and when I phoned the folks at AMI to correct the information, It proved difficult to connect with the individual who could make the changes. Likewise, consignment payments were constantly late. When my consignment check was received, my agreed upon 10% consignment rate was often incorrectly stated at 15%, and I had to wait until the next auction to be paid the 5% difference. Also, items sent to AMI for inclusion in their next scheduled auction were often held for the following auction, and this information was never forwarded to me or agreed to. Add this problem to being paid extremely late, and it just proved completely unacceptable. Lou Lampson and Lon Lewis (how Lewis is qualified to authenticate anything except San Francisco equipment is beyond me) are the “authenticators” for game used equipment. There is no worksheet for the authenticated items or contact info. for Lampson. Needless to say, I will never consign or bid with American Memorabilia, again.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

trsent
02-28-2006, 04:36 PM
I have found nothing but good dealings with Vintage, American Memorabilia and Grey Flannel over the past few years. They have all paid on time and have worked with me to be sure my items sell for strong prices.

byergo
02-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Grey Flannel, American Memorabilia, Vintage Authentics--GREAT!

Lelands--NOT GREAT. Very slow pay. Sold several items, got several checks, last one MANY months after auction close, items didn't sell for top dollar.

CollectGU
03-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Unlike Howard, American Memorabilia has always gotten me top dollar and paid me on time. They have always answered my questions promptly, and I have actually beeen able to personally speak with Lou Lampson and other authenticators during the authentication process. I am able to see the write ups on my items before they go to print, andd if I am not happy with a write up on an item, I simply call them and their people work with me to make any adjustments. I recently began using Grey Flannel and have been very happy with them as well.

earlywynnfan
03-01-2006, 10:33 AM
I've been very happy with Vintage Authentics. I used AmMem from the beginning, they were great when Beans was there, but things seem to sell for uneven prices with them. Mastro brings the biggest bucks, but if you are small-potatoes like I am, they tend to sneer if your consignment isn't going to bring thousands upon thousands of dollars.

Ken

Eric
03-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Lou Lampson and Lon Lewis (how Lewis is qualified to authenticate anything except San Francisco equipment is beyond me) are the “authenticators” for game used equipment. There is no worksheet for the authenticated items or contact info. for Lampson. Needless to say, I will never consign or bid with American Memorabilia, again.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net (hblakewolf@patmedia.net)

Howard,

I don't know Mr. Lewis. Why would you say he's not qualified to authenticate anything except San Francisco equipment?

A statement like that deserves some explanation.
Eric