PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre LS Ortiz Bat

matt
05-28-2008, 01:39 PM
What the hell is this thing? A prototype? Frankenbat??

http://cgi.ebay.com/David-Ortiz-Red-Sox-Game-Used-Auto-LS-Bat-RARE_W0QQitemZ330239428187QQihZ014QQcategoryZ60596 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

-------------------------------------
Up for bid is an Autographed David Ortiz Louisville Slugger T-141-C bat from his early days w/ the Red Sox. This is a very unique bat as David must have ordered these bats from Louisville Slugger while he was still a free agent (after the 2002 season w/ the Twins) as the team name is replaced w/ the generic “Louisville Slugger”….or, perhaps it’s a left-over from his minor league days.

There are a number of oddities about his bat:

<LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">All the “typical” LS markings ARE NOT embossed into the wood….they are simply painted/stenciled onto the wood. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">The cupped end is not drilled out in typical LS fashion. The cupping resembles that seen on Sam and other manufactures (the cupping goes straight down then is concaved at the bottom of the cupping….whereas, other LS cups are more along he lines of a “bowl”). I was not able to get a good picture of the cup….so feel free to ask and I’ll try to send you one. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">The bottom of the cup has a hard plastic appearance, although wood grains are visible…..perhaps textured to look like wood….or the wood simply took on a plastic appearance.
The knob has “34” embossed in it…….not sure if “34” represents his # or the length of the bat. I presume the latter…however, typical non-MLB LS production bats simple use a lightly embossed “4” to ID the bat length. Again, I was unable to get a good photo of the knob......feel free to ask for one, if need be.Bottom line, this bat is a one-of-a-kind. We received this bat personally from David (as w/ ALL OF OUR BATS…..we have zero “second hand” bats or other memorabilia), on April 26th, 2003 during BP at Edison International Field of Anaheim (now Angel Stadium). The bat has a medium sized handle crack that has been expertly repaired.....and some Mota stick on the handle.

BMH
05-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Back in 2003 we did make some pro bats using a pad printer instead of a foil brander. We've also messed around with using a SAM style cup when a player requested it. Ortiz did order nine T141's in black in 2003. The records don't say anything about a cup but if it looks like a 5yr. old drilled it then it was probably us. I'd like to see some more pictures of the bat.

bigtruck260
05-28-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the info Brian...

Was the embossed 34 in the knob Ortiz's number?