PDA

View Full Version : Knits v. Cool Base Jerseys

jppopma
05-27-2008, 12:50 AM
What is everyone's opinion on the Cool Base jerseys that teams are slowly switching over to? I have a couple and they are nice jerseys, but I am wondering if they will be a fad or if its the new wave (here I thought it was supposed to be those '99 TATC jerseys)?

In the last couple of years, it has been up to the individual player if they wanted to wear a the regular knit or the Cool Base jersey, some players have both and will switch up during the season. Will the fact that a player has twice as many jersyes drop the values at all?

If both a knit and a Cool Base jersey of the same player are available, which jersey would be more desirable and hold its value more in the long run?

I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts on this.

bigtime59
05-27-2008, 08:12 AM
If you're an Oriole in 2008, you have no choice. All jerseys are now coolbase. In 2007, home and alternates were CB, and roads were knit.

Neely8
05-27-2008, 08:14 AM
Personally I like the knit jerseys. The Cool Base material reminds me of batting practice jerseys.

Chris78
05-27-2008, 08:23 AM
I like/prefer the Knit jerseys as well. I feel that Cool Base jerseys are cheaper in material. I am glad someone brought this up and I am interested in what others have to say.

I thought that Cool Base jerseys were intended to be worn when the weather is really hot. That stinks if the Orioles will only have Cool Base jerseys for now on.

Chris

ziggy
05-27-2008, 10:17 AM
If I played, I would prefer the cool base because they are lighter weight...As a collector I think they are garbage.....cheap, cheap, cheap Can't wait for the majestic contract to end!

bigtruck260
05-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Jeff has been complaining about Cool base appearance over at Birdbats.com

twinsbb17
05-27-2008, 10:27 AM
The Twins have cool base in the home whites, and road blues. They wear the knit jerseys in the sleeveless white, home blue, and road gray. We're not sure about next year what jerseys will be which.

I prefer wearing the cool base jerseys. I didn't know how bad those old knit jerseys were to wear until I got the new cool base tops.

jppopma
06-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Does anybody have information on what teams have made the 100% switch to cool base jerseys? It will be interesting in a few years to see sellers on Ebay trying to pass game used knits when they were not even used by the team at all.

Also as a heads up, some teams may be selling a bunch of blank knits as they make the switch. Could lead to even more fakes out there.

Birdbats
06-10-2008, 12:50 PM
I suspect many players love them for the same reason many collectors hate them. If you have a knit and a Cool Base, put them on and take a couple swings. There's no doubt that the Cool Base is more comfortable, but that comfort is due to a lighter, flimsy material that just doesn't match the quality of the traditional knit jersey. What bothers me most about Cardinals jerseys is that the Cool Base material, after repeated wear/washing, isn't stiff enough to support the relatively heavy, embroidered birds-on-bat logo. So, you get this unattractive sag at the placket and often can see the back of the logo because of the way the material "flops" over.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w232/birdbats/DuncanPlacket.jpg

I guess if people had been collecting back in the early '70s like they do today, there would have been outrage about the "cheap" knits compared to the "quality" flannels. But, players were happy to switch because the knits simply were more comfortable. Knowing such a change has happened before, it wouldn't shock me if every jersey was Cool Base before long.

At the moment, I think Cool Base shirts are less collectible than knits. I haven't met a collector yet who would pay more for a Cool Base vs. a knit of the same player (assuming the player wears both). But, if everyone is wearing Cool Base someday, collectors will have no choice.

Sincityson
06-10-2008, 02:37 PM
I think most people that collect much prefer the knits over the CB's, it however appears to be becomigng more & more favourable among MLB'ers, so expect the trend to continue until very few teams use the knits any more. If it's an issue of performance, then, the cool base will win over anything else among players.

Fnazxc0114
06-10-2008, 06:58 PM
one thing i dont like about the cool base is the ones i've seen from the rangers dont have any of the usual tagging on them. ie inventory tag set and year tags. really they look no diff't than the ones you can buy at the pro shop