PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day

Eric
05-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Hope everyone has a chance to reflect this holiday weekend about the men and women who lost their lives to protect our freedom.

I know we have members of the military on this site, and I'm sure others have friends and relatives who have served.

To those who perished fighting for this country, we honor you. And to those willing to give their lives for America, it's yet another chance to say 'thank you.'

Eric

frikativ54
05-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Sad to say, but I think a good portion of my generation thinks of Memorial Day as just another three day weekend.

momen55
05-25-2008, 08:45 PM
to all my marine conrads out there;
semper fi:D

05-26-2008, 05:02 AM
Perfectly stated Eric.

My thanks go out also.

Tom Duino

3arod13
05-26-2008, 06:49 AM
Retire the end of this year with 30 years of Naval Service. It's been an honor to proudly serve my country!

Always remember...never forget!

Regards, Tony

nyjetsfan14
05-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Amen. I feel blessed to live in our great country, grateful to those who have sacrificed to preserve democracy, and honored to have served in the world's greatest Navy. God Bless America and may everybody have the safest and most pleasant of days with family and friends while taking at least a few moments to remember those who have fallen in the line of duty and their families as well.

metsbats
05-26-2008, 09:39 AM
It's Fleet week in NYC here. Naval, Marine, and Coast Guard ships are docked at the Piers on the West Side of Manhattan between 46th- 48th street and hundreds of Naval, Marine, and Coast Guard are in the City.

I attend Times Square Church on 51st and Broadway and on Saturday hundreds of underpriviledged children from across the 5 boroughs of NY were bused to the Church where they where they spent the day with some of the service men and women playing games, arts and crafts, and a drill demostration. There were members of the NY Jets football team who were giving out autographed footballs.

It was touching to watch the video presentation from the day at service on Sunday. Our pastor say it was their way of giving back. It's amazing in light of the fact they give so much of themselves already.

We talk about and look up to sports figures as "heroes" but in the presence of the NY Jets the Navy, Marine, and Coast Guard service men and women who were present that day were THE REAL heroes!

God Bless them!

David

34swtns
05-26-2008, 02:00 PM
Retire the end of this year with 30 years of Naval Service. It's been an honor to proudly serve my country!

Regards, Tony

Tony, many thanks for your service. My dad served on the maiden voyage of the USS America and spent 3 years in the Mediteranean in the early 60's.

allstarsplus
05-26-2008, 03:04 PM

Regards, Tony

Tony - Thanks for your service and all the others on the Forum. I grew up in a military household then my father went civilian for the rest of his working days with the Veterans Administration.

What are you planning on after retirement?

Also, if you are a golfer, I see your pic with Harmon Killebrew and I will be helping with what is planned as a Killebrew Tournament May 2009 outside of DC (Remember Harmon started as a Washington player back in 1954!!!!!!!!!)

cohibasmoker
05-26-2008, 05:22 PM
We have the freedoms we have due to the sacrifices that others have made.

Jim