PDA

View Full Version : Questions from a newbie

hansioux
05-25-2008, 02:05 AM
Well, I am a newbie to Game Used Item collections. I have a few questions that I just don't know where to turn to.

I would like to find out what's the proper way to protect a game used bat. I have read about the anti-UV display cases, and 50% humidity, but sure there are more.

I am asking because a baseball player recently give me a baseball bat. Since I moved back to Taiwan, this is an American player, but he's in the CPBL league. I am sure this doesn't compare to the Joe DiMaggio or even Shelly Duncan's game used bat. But it is specially to me, so I want to make sure I do the right things to protect the bat.

A few questions in particular:

1. Is it ok for the player to sign the bat with metallic signature pen?

2. It seems like some people are suggesting coating the bat with a clear spray paint so that if I get the bat signed, the signature won't fade. Is that the right thing to do?

Before I posted I did a search on the forum, but I guess I don't know what I am gonna ask well enough to find the answers. So excuse me for asking you what all of you probably answered hundreds of times.

Thanks in advance for those who are willing to help a newbie.

Jags Fan Dan
05-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Hi and welcome, I'll take a crack at the 2 questions:

1. The type of pen to use for an autograph is mostly personal preference, so if you like the metallic pen, go for it. The silver autographs on black bats sure look sharp to me.

2. As for the clear spray paint, I have never heard of that and would recommend not doing it.

camarokids
05-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Welcome to GUU !

I agree with Dan , I have never coated any of my bats or baseballs .....

On baseballs I would recommend a nice pen with dark blue ink and store out of direct light , on bats it is a matter of preference of ink color , I have heard some pens are superior to others .....

I think it was Kylehess10 was the one who posted the info ....

Good luck!

MSpecht
05-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Welcome to Game Used Universe...

check out the search function at the top of each forum... a few key words will lead you to numerous posts on the topic you are looking for. In the meantime, I would suggest that no external coating be applied to a bat. Doing so would diminish the game-used quality of the bat in the eyes of many collectors, and for many reasons the reward / risk factor is not even close... For storage, use a protected bat tube and keep in a moderate temperature area out of direct sunlight.

To your autograph question, here is a link that will offer some suggestions on having the most success when you get your bat signed...

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/blog/post.php?topic=147

Good Luck in future collecting. Enjoy the Forum.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com (Jackitout7@aol.com)

hansioux
05-25-2008, 12:26 PM
you guys at GUU are great. thanks for answering my questions.

Hi and welcome, I'll take a crack at the 2 questions:

1. The type of pen to use for an autograph is mostly personal preference, so if you like the metallic pen, go for it. The silver autographs on black bats sure look sharp to me.

yup it is a black bat, and i planned for the silver pen

Welcome to GUU !

I agree with Dan , I have never coated any of my bats or baseballs .....

i am sure i came and asked before heeding other's advice. Some even suggested me to whipe off the pine tar or wrap it in ceramic wrapper...

Welcome to Game Used Universe...

check out the search function at the top of each forum... a few key words will lead you to numerous posts on the topic you are looking for. In the meantime, I would suggest that no external coating be applied to a bat. Doing so would diminish the game-used quality of the bat in the eyes of many collectors, and for many reasons the reward / risk factor is not even close... For storage, use a protected bat tube and keep in a moderate temperature area out of direct sunlight.

To your autograph question, here is a link that will offer some suggestions on having the most success when you get your bat signed...

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/blog/post.php?topic=147 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/../blog/post.php?topic=147)

Good Luck in future collecting. Enjoy the Forum.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com (Jackitout7@aol.com)

thanks a bunch!

stlbats
05-25-2008, 10:03 PM
As others have stated, its always best to leave a bat in its game used state. NEVER wipe off any pine tar or alter the bat. As said before, dont spray it either.

Thanks
Jason
stlbats@bellsouth.net