PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Upgrading The Forum

Eric
02-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Hello everyone. Chris Cavalier and I are kicking around the idea of some site improvements and wanted to know what people thought.

We came up with some ways that might classify the discussions more clearly. We're also looking to add a new folder for discussions of all other sports collectibles. If you like the new proposal, vote for it above or if you like the current format, you can vote for that too. We will close all voting in 3 days (Friday afternoon eastern time)
Here's proposed new list of folders.

General Information

1. Forum Policies
2. Site Announcements

Forums

1. Game Used Jersey Discussions
2. Game Used Bat Discussions
3. Questions About Bat Shipping Records
4. All Other Game Used Items Discussions
5. Items Wanted
6. Items For Sale
7. Vintage Memorabilia Discussions
8. All Other Sports Collectibles Discussions

A reminder- the current format is

1- Policies
2- Announcements
3- Game Used Memorabilia Discussion
4- Current Auction Items
5- Items Wanted
6- Items For Sale
7- Vintage Memorabilia Discussion
8- Ask About Bat Shipping Records

Birdbats
02-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Eric,

I like the idea. One thing I would appreciate even more is the ability to jump between folders without having to go back to the main page each time. As it is now, if I want to go from the "Game Used Memorabilia Discussion" to "For Sale," I have to click "Forums" (or the back arrow) and then "For Sale." It would be great if I could just jump to "For Sale" without having to backtrack. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but if you're trying to check on eight folders, it would be less hassle than jumping back and forth eight times.

Count me as a supporter of the new folders.

Jeff

Birdbats
02-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Eric, never mind my other post. I realized after posting there's a "Forum Jump" menu at the bottom. Never noticed it before. Could it be moved to the top?

Jeff

Eric
02-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Jeff-

Thanks for the info. Chris and I will discuss.

Make sure you vote above- those are going to be the stats we go by.
Eric

earlywynnfan
02-28-2006, 03:23 PM
The new changes sound great to me, although I'll check all the folders anyway, like I do now.

I also like the idea of having a general memorabilia folder, sort of a catch-all.

Ken

Swoboda4
02-28-2006, 03:42 PM
The addition of a Sports Collectibles Discussion forum was needed sooner or later. There's a lot of good info that's not "game used" related so it's good that it will find a home. It will also attract more members to the forum.

I would put Game Used Discussions on top instead of #4. Everything else is a by-product of it. It's the Discussion forum that I check first when signing in.
Robert

Yankwood
02-28-2006, 03:58 PM
What is the "Discussion Forum"?:confused:

Eric
02-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Game Used Memorabilia Discussion

Yankwood
02-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Oh, sorry. I'm an idiot.:o

suave1477
02-28-2006, 04:21 PM
The only thing I think we need is a Player signing / Autograph section - they way we can see who is signing where? and give us a place to discuss autographs. otherwise i think the forum is fine the way it is.

trsent
02-28-2006, 04:40 PM
When will a section be added for Joel to talk about his dating life?

When will a section be added for Joel to discuss sports wagering? (1-0 last night, Eastern Washington +3 was my only play)

When will a section be added for Joel to talk about poker?

When will a section be added for Joel to discuss baseball history?

Never.

Never.

Never.

Never.

Oh well, too bad this is the only forum I post on.

geoff
02-28-2006, 05:22 PM
I like the new way being talked about.I always check all of them anyway everyday.Geoff

Eric
02-28-2006, 07:04 PM
The only thing I think we need is a Player signing / Autograph section - they way we can see who is signing where? and give us a place to discuss autographs. otherwise i think the forum is fine the way it is.

Suave-

I think those kinds of things would fit under
All Other Sports Collectibles Discussions

And who knows, if there's enough heat behind the discussions maybe it can branch out into its own folder some day.
Eric

bigtime59
02-28-2006, 07:28 PM
I would love to see jerseys separated out from the rest of the memorabilia. As they're the only thing I collect, it would save me lots of time...and could we make the threads always read oldest to newest? As soon as I log in, they reverse!

ChrisCavalier
02-28-2006, 07:47 PM
could we make the threads always read oldest to newest? As soon as I log in, they reverse!
Hello Bigtime-

I believe you have the ability to control the way you would like the threads to display after you login. To set it up, after you login, click on the "User CP" (User Control Panel) link in the blue navigation area for the forum. Then, click on the "Edit Options" link under "Settings and Options" on the left hand side of the page and scroll down to "Thread Display Mode". It is there that you can select the way you would like the threads to display after signing in.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,
Chris

icollectDCsports
02-28-2006, 08:01 PM
1. Just wanted to confirm that "Items Wanted" will still be confined to game used items and not a combo of game used and other memorabilia.

2. I think there needs to be consideration of whether members should be limited in the number of threads / updates / refreshes for both the For Sale and Wanted sections. Perhaps once per week. At least for the Wanted section.

3. In the Wanted section, members should not be allowed to start new threads for each individual item sought. Not sure if this idea should, at this stage, strictly be extended to the For Sale section, but members should be encouraged to combine For Sale ads, with mods having the authority to edit if/when someone starts too many threads at one time.

4. Perhaps, in addition to the proposed discussion section for non-game worn memorabilia, there should be a For Sale section for such items as well. Taking it a step futher, perhaps also a corresponding Items Wanted Section.

bosoxfan4life
03-01-2006, 12:14 PM
please do not get rid of the current auction items section. it is a great tool to find items we may have missed or ask questions about a item. just my 2 cents great forum.

I also think we need a feedback forum about good deal or good trades to be able to praise the great dealers or collectors we have dealt with.

Eric
03-01-2006, 12:29 PM
please do not get rid of the current auction items section. it is a great tool to find items we may have missed or ask questions about a item. just my 2 cents great forum.

I also think we need a feedback forum about good deal or good trades to be able to praise the great dealers or collectors we have dealt with.

Good thoughts.

I think the current auction discussions could take place within these specific folders
1. Game Used Jersey Discussions
2. Game Used Bat Discussions
4. All Other Game Used Items Discussions
7. Vintage Memorabilia Discussions
8. All Other Sports Collectibles

bosoxfan4life
03-01-2006, 01:45 PM
i think a seperate secetion for auctions is a must. lumping them in with other catagories will make it a mess. Maybe there could be a auction alert section for each field such as bats, jerseys other. This way it allows everyone the chance to focus on their intrest and does not make the other sections have so many post it is hard to go thru all of them.

Also i think it would be helpful to have a jersey photo data base, roken down team by team. For example

Braves Jerseys: with photos of tagging, lettering and numbers sizes and styles. this way it becomes a one stop resource center for all collectors to get an idea of what a true game worn jersey should look like i would be happy to lend the site my red sox jersey collection photos.

Feedback forum would be great. I have been on for only about a few months but in that time i have made 3 great deals and would like to be able to thank the people who helped to build my collection.

earlywynnfan
03-01-2006, 01:58 PM
i agree with keeping the current auctions section, too. even if it's something I don't collect, i like to see what is being viewed and discussed.

Ken

trsent
03-01-2006, 05:00 PM
The Current Auction Items is the 2nd most popular section of this forum.

porsche544
03-01-2006, 05:08 PM
Chris and Eric,
I'd like to commend both of you for creating this forum (Eric), and making it work as a voice for the hobby. I'd like to suggest an addition to a forum called " What's it Worth?" Here forum members could post and show their memorabilia etc. and have our forum members guesstimate what the value of the item is. As a collector myself, I have numerous memorabilia that I'm interested to see if there is a $$ value to it. This will sorta be like the Antique Roadshow but an online version of it.

Let me know what you all think.
Thanks
Gerald

trsent
03-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Chris and Eric,
I'd like to commend both of you for creating this forum (Eric), and making it work as a voice for the hobby. I'd like to suggest an addition to a forum called " What's it Worth?" Here forum members could post and show their memorabilia etc. and have our forum members guesstimate what the value of the item is. As a collector myself, I have numerous memorabilia that I'm interested to see if there is a $$ value to it. This will sorta be like the Antique Roadshow but an online version of it.

I could tell you how I'd answer every post:

"To some the item is priceless, to most others it is worthless"

porsche544
03-01-2006, 07:08 PM
I could tell you how I'd answer every post:

"To some the item is priceless, to most others it is worthless"

Joel,
I feel stupid now that I read your comment. You're totally right. Ok scratch that idea.

Thanks again,
Gerald

Swoboda4
03-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Gerald-Not so fast on scratching the idea of a post,"What's it worth". Professional TV producers from the YES network thinks it's a good idea for them(They already have the segment on Steiner's show) why not for us? Were not all knowing when it comes to some of the stuff we collect. Some of the items I have I don't have a real good idea of what's it worth,let alone the current value, for example:a slice of 12 inch bat barrel from both biggio and Caminiti's G/U bat-the portions w/name engraved-remnants from Pacific Trading Cards not used in G/U cards -or-the cap worn by Dave Mlicki when he shutout the Yanks in the their first interleague meeting). I think it's a good idea.
Robert

porsche544
03-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Eric/Chris,
Could we have an AUTOGRAPH SECTION ADDED?

THANKS
GERALD