PDA

View Full Version : Ebay

skyking26
05-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Question: I don't sell on a regular basis. However, been moving some small items and just had an auction for a whole $33.00 and stated in the auction and in my email to the guy that it was check or money order payment only. The guy goes and sends a paypal. I find that the deny key is darkened and won't allow me to do that. As the auction funds are unclaimed by me and I have notified him twice that I won't accept this - am I correct to assume the funds will revert back to him as I won't accept??

Thanks, RK

allstarsplus
05-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Never tried that, but I think if you send it back as a refund that should do the trick.

skyking26
05-20-2008, 09:44 PM
It won't let me, the deny key is darkened...

nate
05-20-2008, 09:59 PM
give paypal a call and they should be able to assist you.

both-teams-played-hard
05-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Scroll down to the bottom of the payment screen, where he paid, and hit "refund".

skyking26
05-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Won't let me refund. I'll wait for this guy to respond. I don't have a clue why people can't read. If I state in auction check or MO, and again when I notify how much he owes, why would he go ahead and send paypal?

orioles03
05-20-2008, 10:35 PM
i haven't sold much on ebay either but now when i sold something on ebay two weeks ago they are making you accept paypal which i don't like for ebay and now paypal will hold your payment for 21 day until the buyer leaves postive feedback. i had to get ahold of the buyer for my auction and ask her to to retract her payment it was a big hassle on the phone with paypal for a while and they did not help and then on friday ebay ended my auctions because i stated no paypal even though i was forced to accept it i said check or money orders only.sorry i babbled on i just had to get that off my chest that is why i can't stand ebay

skyking26
05-20-2008, 10:37 PM
I think you got the same thing I have. I will wait for the buyer to respond. Worse case I will ask him to add fee to amount and then transfer it to my bank account so I can use the cash as I do not use paypal enough to reroute funds... What think?

gameusedhoop
05-21-2008, 07:14 AM
Be careful, as soon as you ask for Paypal fees to be paid for by the buyer, you are breaking the law. If he reports it to ebay and/or Paypal you can be suspended or lose your accounts. Why not just accept the payment?

Rumor is that within a year or so, Paypal may be the only acceptable payment method on ebay. Ebay and Paypal get you on both ends just like the auction houses, you must play by their rules or find an alternate site to sell on. It's not ideal, but it's basically the only place to move alot of "junk".

skyking26
05-21-2008, 08:22 AM
I'll phone paypal today and see what they say. I had it in the auction that check and mo were the methods as well as the invoice. I think the buyer should have followed my rules. Will figure it out. Should not be all this hassle for $33...

otismalibu
05-21-2008, 08:46 AM
RK,

So when he got the winning notification from eBay, did he simply get your email address from there and then use it to send Paypal funds?

Or was there a Paypal logo in your auction? I've seen auctions where it states that Paypal is not accepted, yet the Paypal logo is down in the payment options section.

One should always read the description, but just a few weeks back I saw an item I wanted and it said NO PAYPAL. I emailed the seller to see if he'd take Paypal payment from a cash balance (I won't bid if the seller doesn't take Paypal). He emails me back and says he takes Paypal. Go figure.

Some auctions have the logo, yet they won't accept the payment. Some sellers say they won't accept it (right in the description), but then they will.

Behold the goofiness that is eBay.

skyking26
05-21-2008, 09:03 AM
I stated on the auction MO or check and again on the invoice. However, yes the "p" icon was there but not put on by me...

momen55
05-21-2008, 09:40 AM
if you don't accept payment, it will go back to the sender after 30 days. that is there policy.
this is what happened to me. i bought something and sent payment through paypal, which the person accepted. the person emailed me that they weren't upgrading to premier because of the fees. anyway, i sent a money order. in the meantime, my bank account was minus the money. i contacted paypal about this and they told me that the person would have to upgrade and deny funds in order for me to get them back. my case, since i sent the money, i contacted my bank to let them know about the missing money, and in 10 days i had my money back but my paypal account had a negative balance until the 30 days was up! what a bunch of crap!

orioles03
05-21-2008, 09:45 AM
that is the same that happned to me i had to upgrade i already had an account so somehow i upgraded my self to a business account which i dont want and i still could not collect my funds in three days the buyer just canceled he payment paypal does not help either so now i have a business account i cannot cancel

orioles03
05-21-2008, 09:46 AM
RK,

So when he got the winning notification from eBay, did he simply get your email address from there and then use it to send Paypal funds?

Or was there a Paypal logo in your auction? I've seen auctions where it states that Paypal is not accepted, yet the Paypal logo is down in the payment options section.

One should always read the description, but just a few weeks back I saw an item I wanted and it said NO PAYPAL. I emailed the seller to see if he'd take Paypal payment from a cash balance (I won't bid if the seller doesn't take Paypal). He emails me back and says he takes Paypal. Go figure.

Some auctions have the logo, yet they won't accept the payment. Some sellers say they won't accept it (right in the description), but then they will.

Behold the goofiness that is eBay.
ebay makes you accept paypal now regardless

skyking26
05-21-2008, 09:54 AM
What a mess. All this for $33. Additionally, other people I buy from do not accept paypal, so the money would just sit there and I could not use it. That is why I did not want it in first place. At least with checks and money orders things are more straight forward and no fees.

BergerKing22784
05-21-2008, 10:13 AM
While I agree with you guys having to take paypal shouldnt be required and it cost you more fees but from a buyers standpoint I stayed away from auctions that did not accept it and I know a lot of people do to. I also noticed if there was more than one of the same item on ebay the auction who took paypal would sell for more so that in turn takes care of those fee's.

skyking26
05-21-2008, 10:36 AM
While I agree with you guys having to take paypal shouldnt be required and it cost you more fees but from a buyers standpoint I stayed away from auctions that did not accept it and I know a lot of people do to. I also noticed if there was more than one of the same item on ebay the auction who took paypal would sell for more so that in turn takes care of those fee's.
I sold a mint never used 30 year old locomotive train for $26.

allstarsplus
05-21-2008, 11:36 AM
from a buyers standpoint I stayed away from auctions that did not accept it and I know a lot of people do to.

I agree with you from a buyer's and seller's standpoint that you will lose buyers if you don't make it convenient and PayPal makes it real convenient. On a $100 item you are giving up $3 essentially.

I have gone so far now that on my auctions, I require you must have a valid PayPal account as I have learned that will deter fake bidders. It doesn't require you pay by PayPal as you can still pay by check, MO, etc, but it gives me the added security that they are registered with PayPal.

skyking26
05-21-2008, 11:45 AM
I agree with you from a buyer's and seller's standpoint that you will lose buyers if you don't make it convenient and PayPal makes it real convenient. On a $100 item you are giving up $3 essentially.

I have gone so far now that on my auctions, I require you must have a valid PayPal account as I have learned that will deter fake bidders. It doesn't require you pay by PayPal as you can still pay by check, MO, etc, but it gives me the added security that they are registered with PayPal.
I think that is pretty agreeable...

David
05-21-2008, 12:29 PM
You can accept his payment and refund him the money by paying him the $$ to his email address. This would take just a couple of minutes.

As an eBayer, I use paypal. I know all the horror stories and charges, but it is a convenience for both the buyer and me. I also so non-sport photographs with many international buyers, and it's convenient for them to be able to use PayPal. Someone in Munich can pay me as quickly as someone in Toledo.

skyking26
05-21-2008, 04:24 PM
i Had To Upgrade To A Premier Account, Refund Followed. Still Like As A Buyer - Not As A Seller!