PDA

View Full Version : Removing Cigarette Smell

Ozric
05-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Geez... Does anyone know how to get the smell of cigarette smoke out of a jersey and a batting helmet. I recently picked up this pair that must have come from a heavy heavy smokers house as I could smell them even before they were removed from the box they were mailed in. They are not high dollar items ($175 for both), but I have washed the jersey twice and it still noticeably smells. I have no idea how to get rid of the helmet smell either though. I tried leaving it outside in the fresh air, but it just does nothing to the odor... Anyone else run into this issue and have a solution other than dousing them with cologne to cover the odor...

Thanks,

Tim

otismalibu
05-20-2008, 12:47 PM
http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/Febreze_Classic_1_Litre.jpg

Jags Fan Dan
05-20-2008, 02:25 PM
If I may go almost totally off topic here, I have to relate a story from this past Christmas that this thread brought to mind. If it makes you laugh like it did me, good. If not all apologies.

My dad is a heavy smoker. No one else in either mine nor my wife's family smokes. So I go to open a Christmas present that was a Jaguars shirt my wife got me off of eBay. My 2 year old daughter was "helping" me open my presents, as she had already torn through hers, and immediately upon opening this shirt, it wreaked of cigarette smoke, she looks at me and says "Look what Grandpa Sullivan got you!". I laughed so hard and still do when I think about it.

Ok, back to the thread....

larry bourget
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM
Wash the jersey,............soak the helmet in a bucket of water & vinegar over night.

larry.bourget@sympatico.ca

platinum1
05-20-2008, 02:37 PM
Geez... Does anyone know how to get the smell of cigarette smoke out of a jersey and a batting helmet. I recently picked up this pair that must have come from a heavy heavy smokers house as I could smell them even before they were removed from the box they were mailed in. They are not high dollar items ($175 for both), but I have washed the jersey twice and it still noticeably smells. I have no idea how to get rid of the helmet smell either though. I tried leaving it outside in the fresh air, but it just does nothing to the odor... Anyone else run into this issue and have a solution other than dousing them with cologne to cover the odor...

Thanks,

Tim
Put the jersey in a big ziplock bag with a box of Baking Soda. Let it sit for a couple of days. Then wash it with baking soda or the detergent that has baking soda. That should work

Ozric
05-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Greg... Thanks for the help... I will give that a try.

Dan... Funny that you should mention that as my kid put the helmet on when it first arrived, and took it right back off immediately complaining that it smelled like his uncle...

Tim

Ozric
05-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Edgar... Larry... Thanks for the help as well. Won't soaking the helmet remove the tagging inside of the helmet though as well as possibly removing the player numbers on the back due to the vinegar solution...

Thanks again,

Tim

Jags Fan Dan
05-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Dan... Funny that you should mention that as my kid put the helmet on when it first arrived, and took it right back off immediately complaining that it smelled like his uncle...

Tim
Classic! Kids really do say the darndest things!:D

otismalibu
05-20-2008, 02:56 PM
Tim,

I won a pair of Dr. J. game shoes and when I opened the box, there was a strong moth ball stench. I tried the Febreze thinking it would only mask the smell for a short time, but it worked fine.

Now when I take a hit off them, it's pure game used smell :D

Ozric
05-20-2008, 03:06 PM
Tim,

I won a pair of Dr. J. game shoes and when I opened the box, there was a strong moth ball stench. I tried the Febreze thinking it would only mask the smell for a short time, but it worked fine.

Now when I take a hit off them, it's pure game used smell :D

Greg. You should see the look my wife gives me when I give a newly bought game jersey the sniff test. She thinks I'm nuts.

stlbats
05-20-2008, 04:24 PM
If you are not just totally in love with the items, I would send them back.

Jason

loumud
05-21-2008, 12:39 AM

Thanks,

Tim

This is one of the worst things that could happen when purchasing items second hand, short of there being actual physical damage to the items themselves!

The best cure for this problem is really just time and repetition. Washing can help, but I would also do the baking soda routine periodically that was mentioned previously. You could also take a fresh dryer sheet and rub it thoroughly over each item. Then, let the items sit out in a well-vetilated room and let them air out for a few days. Then repeat the process.

Again, this will take time, probably 6 months to a year, depending on how bad the smoke smell is. I've also included a link to another source on the topic with some other suggestions. Hope this helps!

http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Eliminate-Smoke-Smell-from-Your-eBay-Purchases_W0QQugidZ10000000001669988 (http://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Eliminate-Smoke-Smell-from-Your-eBay-Purchases_W0QQugidZ10000000001669988)

suave1477
05-21-2008, 12:49 AM
Try these 2

Take your items to a cigar room filled with cigar and pipe smokers lol lol
At least the ciggarette smell will be gone lol lol:D :D

or

Take them to a car wash and pay for the premium vip special with the rainbow waX and the armorall.
It will be spotless with a nice shine and the sleeves will have that wet look from the armorall lol lol :D :D

THIS POST WAS A JOKE!!!:D

Manram
04-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I just got a game used chest protector in the mail today. When i opened up the box and looked at it closely i got hit with a smoke smell. This smell is not potent but if you are close you can definately smell it and i just dont like the smell obviously. Anyone know of a way to get rid of the smell without ruining r altering the item in any way?

mad87man
04-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Try hanging it up outside or maybe putting it in a bag with a dryer sheet at the bottom for a day.

NEFAN
04-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Try Febreeze on a smal section to make sure it won't stain first.

stlbats
04-09-2011, 03:10 PM
I cant figure why anyone would smoke around game used items. Or really any valuable items for that matter. If it were me, I would try to return the item if I could live without it.

Jason

Manram
04-09-2011, 08:22 PM
I cant figure why anyone would smoke around game used items. Or really any valuable items for that matter. If it were me, I would try to return the item if I could live without it.

Jason

Thanks for the input, but i got a good deal on it and he is a top catching prospect so i dont want to give it back :cool: