PDA

View Full Version : Question About Darryl Strawberry World Series Ring

suave1477
05-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Hello Members,

By you now you know I am the biggest Strawberry Game Used collector and if you didn't now you know. So when I saw this item pop upmy jaw dropped and first thing came to mind was I got to have this and what can I sell to get this lol lol. Is selling members of my family illegal in the U.S.????? But seriously I was pondering letting go some serious pieces for this.

I am glad I didn't

I spoke with Darryl tonight and he told me he still has his 99 ring and would never let it go. He said the one on Lelands has to be a duplicate because he still has his.

http://www.lelands.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=93287

platinum1
05-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Did you or Darryl contact Lelands about it?

suave1477
05-18-2008, 11:19 PM
I just spoke to Darryl about an hour ago, haven't had the chance.

sammy
05-19-2008, 05:05 AM
As quoted in the Leland's auction ad:

The ring comes with a hand written letter signed by Strawberry, an LOA on Yankees stationery.

Something smells once again.

hblakewolf
05-19-2008, 05:07 AM
Hello Members,

By you now you know I am the biggest Strawberry Game Used collector and if you didn't now you know. So when I saw this item pop upmy jaw dropped and first thing came to mind was I got to have this and what can I sell to get this lol lol. Is selling members of my family illegal in the U.S.????? But seriously I was pondering letting go some serious pieces for this.

I am glad I didn't

I spoke with Darryl tonight and he told me he still has his 99 ring and would never let it go. He said the one on Lelands has to be a duplicate because he still has his.

http://www.lelands.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=93287

Suave-
Next ime you speak with Strawberry, ask him to explain how a hand signed LOA from him also comes with this "duplicate" ring.

FYI-B & E Collectibles was also offering a few of his Yankees rings with a similar LOA signed by Strawberry.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

ironmanfan
05-19-2008, 07:53 AM
Geeze, I have a hard time thinking that Straw may be less than honest :D

metsbats
05-19-2008, 09:16 AM
Are players allowed to order more than one WS rings? Being that Rudy Giuliani got one it may not be surprising that Yankee players were able to order more than one. This would probably be dependant on the team policy too.

David

ChrisCavalier
05-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Did you or Darryl contact Lelands about it?

I just spoke to Darryl about an hour ago, haven't had the chance.
Hello Suave,

I think it is important to remind everyone of the rule for posting questions about items that they believe has questions. The rule is as follows:

In instances where a forum member is identifying an item in the hobby they believe to have issues, it is expected that the poster clearly state their findings in the form of an opinion and provide adequate rationale for why they believe there is an issue. When possible, it is expected that the poster questioning an item will attempt to contact the seller of the item and allow at least 24 hours for the seller to reply before posting. This will prevent postings that may be generated based on misunderstandings of an item.

It appears in this case, Mr. Strawberry is claiming he still has the ring. However, I just spoke with someone at Lelands who said the ring is supported by legal letters from Strawberry claiming it is his. While clearly both statements cannot be true, it is not appropriate to come onto the forum and state the ring is not real. As stated in the rule, findings should be stated in the form of an opinion and the seller should be contacted first to avoid postings based on misunderstandings.

I am not in any position to state whether or not the ring is Strawberry's. However, the rules need to be followed when questioning items. I have changed the title of the thread to reflect this point. Please also make sure these rules are followed in the future.

Thanks in advance.

platinum1
05-19-2008, 10:46 AM
I have come accross players that have lied about there items.
Im not saying this is what's going on here but it does happen.
I once got an item from an exgirlfriend of a player that was autographed and dated and used in a All Star game so it was easy to photomatch the item. When I later showed him the item he got really mad and told me that he still had his. I later found out he was married at the time:) .

suave1477
05-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Hello Suave,

I think it is important to remind everyone of the rule for posting questions about items that they believe has questions. The rule is as follows:

In instances where a forum member is identifying an item in the hobby they believe to have issues, it is expected that the poster clearly state their findings in the form of an opinion and provide adequate rationale for why they believe there is an issue. When possible, it is expected that the poster questioning an item will attempt to contact the seller of the item and allow at least 24 hours for the seller to reply before posting. This will prevent postings that may be generated based on misunderstandings of an item.

It appears in this case, Mr. Strawberry is claiming he still has the ring. However, I just spoke with someone at Lelands who said the ring is supported by legal letters from Strawberry claiming it is his. While clearly both statements cannot be true, it is not appropriate to come onto the forum and state the ring is not real. As stated in the rule, findings should be stated in the form of an opinion and the seller should be contacted first to avoid postings based on misunderstandings.

I am not in any position to state whether or not the ring is Strawberry's. However, the rules need to be followed when questioning items. I have changed the title of the thread to reflect this point. Please also make sure these rules are followed in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Chris in most cases I would agree with you and rarely do I ever dispute you except for this one.

I am not questioning any item here.

It is a fact

As what was told to me. So there would be no need for me to TECHNICALLY put this in question form when I was told by the (Possible current owner of the ring) that he still has it.

I would agree with you if I was going on just hear say from an outside source but you can't get much more then the source himself.

Whether he was lying to me thats another story, but Straw knows me and really would not have a need to lie about sometine so little. When I even said that about his ring the first look that came to his face (like he was baffled) and then asked me what Auction? he seemed very surprised and reconfirmed to me he still has his ring.

As far as World Series rings just like Jerseys and Bats, there are always extras made up, duplicates, Blanks or salesman samples. Any one of those can end up on the market as someones.

As far as the letter I did not see it and I would like for Lelends to email me a pic of it I wouldbe interested in what it says.

I will shoot them an email and get there opinion on the matter.

ironmanfan
05-19-2008, 11:15 AM
As far as the letter I did not see it and I would like for Lelends to email me a pic of it I wouldbe interested in what it says.

I will shoot them an email and get there opinion on the matter.

Probably would have been best to have contacted Lelands first and give them a chance to reply before posting your discussion with Strawberry

suave1477
05-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Ironman I understand what your saying I am not disagreeing or agreeing with it.

My point is what your saying is fair but at the same time I am getting the information directly from the horses mouth.

I have sent Lelands and email and had intentions of sending them an email but in a case like this where the info is direct from the player himself. I did not see that it would be warranted to necessarily wait for a response from a 3rd party.

Maybe im wrong:confused:

hblakewolf
05-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Suave-
Strawberry's other Yankees World Series ring recently sold at Sotheby's for $55,000. Being such as huge fan of his, no doubt you're aware of this. Did you happen to ask Straw about this ring, too? Based on this, and the fact that Leland's has a signed LOA directly from Straw, why the rush to judgement and the quick post on this Forum without at least trying to obtain additional facts from Leland's?

I purchased Steve Carlton's 1983 NL Championship ring from Lelands many years ago. When I showed it to Carlton at a show, he said it was a fake, yet his manager asked me to step aside and informed me that Carlton had given it to his best friend as a gift. The paer trail leads to a pawn shop that Carlton's "Friend" sold it to.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

suave1477
05-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Suave-
Strawberry's other Yankees World Series ring recently sold at Sotheby's for $55,000. Being such as huge fan of his, no doubt you're aware of this. Did you happen to ask Straw about this ring, too? Based on this, and the fact that Leland's has a signed LOA directly from Straw, why the rush to judgement and the quick post on this Forum without at least trying to obtain additional facts from Leland's?

I purchased Steve Carlton's 1983 NL Championship ring from Lelands many years ago. When I showed it to Carlton at a show, he said it was a fake, yet his manager asked me to step aside and informed me that Carlton had given it to his best friend as a gift. The paer trail leads to a pawn shop that Carlton's "Friend" sold it to.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

Howard as far as his other World Series ring yes I was aware of it but I found out a bit too late. This was an auction item still live, so I specifically asked Strawberry about this one.
As far as it being a quick rush and judgement I recieved the information and when I did I amde people aware of my findings.
Also posted around in other websites is the questionalibilty of where the Ring in the Sotheby's auction is interesting.
I also do find it a bit strange that Strawberry would write an LOA on these rings (I am not saying it is impossible) on Yankees Stationary LOA in 2005 when Strawberrys practically whole career sold everything through his Memorabilia agent.

Which has been this way since before 2005 as said when the Strawberry Yankees LOA is dated.

metsbats
05-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Ironman I understand what your saying I am not disagreeing or agreeing with it.

My point is what your saying is fair but at the same time I am getting the information directly from the horses mouth.

I have sent Lelands and email and had intentions of sending them an email but in a case like this where the info is direct from the player himself. I did not see that it would be warranted to necessarily wait for a response from a 3rd party.

Maybe im wrong:confused:

Suave I say this with love.

I think you had great information directly from Strawberry but went about it in violation of forum rules by calling out an item as fake (in the title of the post hence Chris's edit) and not contacting Lelands with this information first before posting to the forum. So by forum rules you were wrong. Getting the info directly from the player does not make the post not in violation of the rule.

I agree with you that you don't necessarily have to wait for a response from Lelands because many Auction houses don't respond and the auction ends and someone gets stuck with a bad item. But at least the due diligence was done by notifying the seller/auction house first and the forum rule is unbroken. And if the auction house does not respond then they are the bad guys and you are the good guy who tried to alert them about an questionable item but they chose to ignore it.

I think the GUF should work not just for the benefit of collectors but for the benefit of the sellers and auction houses who may also be putting questionable items on the auction block (whether intentionally or unintentionally). The notification process to the sellers/auction house enables this and whether they chose to embrace the information or ignore it is their choice. I notified an auction house about a questionable jersey last month then posted on the forum. I never got a response from the auction house and the item sold anyway but I know at least the post may have discouraged folks who may not have known better not to bid and waste their dollars on a questionable item.

-David

Mike Heffner
05-20-2008, 09:06 AM
The handwritten, signed and notarized letter of authenticity from Strawberry is now posted on our site. It can be found in the June 6 auction, lot 112.

Mike Heffner

hblakewolf
05-20-2008, 09:40 AM
The handwritten, signed and notarized letter of authenticity from Strawberry is now posted on our site. It can be found in the June 6 auction, lot 112.

Mike Heffner

Suave-
I'd be curious to know what Strawberry has to say when confronted with what appears to be his handwritten, rock-solid LOA. Can you forward this link or scan a copy of the LOA directly to Strawberry and let us know his thoughts?

Likewise, per your previous post, Strawberry noted that he still has the ring in question. Can you also have him forward a photo of him with/wearing the ring?

I look forward to an update.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

platinum1
05-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Suave

It seems like Mr. Strawberry took you for a long ride.

bigtruck260
05-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Hey guys,

Considering Suave hasn't posted a response, it think it is safe to assume that he has had time to think about this whole thing...and if I know him like I think I do - he's probably ticked to some extent.

It would not be the first time someone has had an athlete tell them a story that was less than true.

You also need to remember who we are talking about...Darry Strawberry.

This is a guy who was a DRUG ADDICT...and had some serious financial problems in the past. It is doubtful he fully remembers the events of 10 years ago. For all we know, someone close to him could have been feeding him LOAs to sign - without him really knowing what they were for. OR he knew that something was wrong with it...and decided to do it anyway.

Look, Suave made a hasty judgement - based on his relationship with the athlete he collects and is close to.

Anyone can make a mistake here, why pile it on? I mean, the PRESIDENT of the site scolded him....

bigtruck260
05-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Just read the LOA from Darryl...

Oh boy, he knew EXACTLY what he was doing.

hblakewolf
05-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Just read the LOA from Darryl...

Oh boy, he knew EXACTLY what he was doing.

The LOA is dated (only 3 years old), handwritten on Yankees letterhead and notarized.

Enough said.

Possibly when Suave speaks to Strawberry, he can provide an update for us.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

http://www.lelands.com/LotImages/93287g_lg.jpeg

suave1477
05-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Suave

It seems like Mr. Strawberry took you for a long ride.

Lets not get carried away, platinium you seem pretty bored.

BigTruck I do appreciate your support and I do mean that.

You are also correct I am highly ticked off because 2 and 2 is not adding up to 4.

I MAY HAVE ACTED OUT OF HASTE AND PERSONALLY APOLOGIZE TO LELANDS IF I CREATED ANY KIND OF CONFLICT.

To the members please understand if you seen the reaction yourself that Strawberry gave me when I asked him about this with out hesitation gave me this look like that he was baffled that they would have such a thing and with out hesitation told me "NO I still have it in my collection"

He said it with confidence

And I have asked him about items before and he had no problem telling me what he has let go out of his personal stuff.

Which leads me to believe it could be a few things
1 - He lied to me
2 - He didn't remember
3 - Sold the duplicate and kept the real one

Either way I apologize to anyone here if any one was affected by my statement would just appreciate my source (the player himself) and he said it very convincingly also with my passed experieince with him he hasn't had a problem telling me about his other items

sammy
05-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Suave,

For future reference, please refer to the template GUU's administrators have posted to question sellers.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=12446 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=12446)

dodgersfan
05-20-2008, 12:11 PM
He made a mistake,Let's move on with our lives.

Rudy

Suave,

For future reference, please refer to the template GUU's administrators have posted to question sellers.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=12446 (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=12446)

suave1477
05-20-2008, 12:13 PM
Sammy since I am also a Senior Member here and I am sure you have seen me here before I am aware of the rules. I appreciate you coming out to point out thr rules to me after it has already been done several times in this same thread. Your adding repetition JOYS me.

Sammy did you read this thread???

I am curious, because as I have stated several times in this thread I personally was not question an items authenticity.

I was posting a fact as told to me by the direct source.

And the I apologized to boot, what more do you want??????

hblakewolf
05-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Lets not get carried away, platinium you seem pretty bored.

BigTruck I do appreciate your support and I do mean that.

You are also correct I am highly ticked off because 2 and 2 is not adding up to 4.

I MAY HAVE ACTED OUT OF HASTE AND PERSONALLY APOLOGIZE TO LELANDS IF I CREATED ANY KIND OF CONFLICT.

To the members please understand if you seen the reaction yourself that Strawberry gave me when I asked him about this with out hesitation gave me this look like that he was baffled that they would have such a thing and with out hesitation told me "NO I still have it in my collection"

He said it with confidence

And I have asked him about items before and he had no problem telling me what he has let go out of his personal stuff.

Which leads me to believe it could be a few things
1 - He lied to me
2 - He didn't remember
3 - Sold the duplicate and kept the real one

Either way I apologize to anyone here if any one was affected by my statement would just appreciate my source (the player himself) and he said it very convincingly also with my passed experieince with him he hasn't had a problem telling me about his other items

Suave-

No need to assume or ponder what may have been, could be, should be, etc. At this point, why not contact Strawberry again and present the facts, especially a copy/scan of his LOA? Based on his feedback, you may very well have a better understanding of this situation and the facts.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@comcast.net

nick1980
05-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Suave-
I'd be curious to know what Strawberry has to say when confronted with what appears to be his handwritten, rock-solid LOA. Can you forward this link or scan a copy of the LOA directly to Strawberry and let us know his thoughts?

Likewise, per your previous post, Strawberry noted that he still has the ring in question. Can you also have him forward a photo of him with/wearing the ring?

I look forward to an update.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

The same reason I wouldn't he probably wants to keep his relationship with him, calling him out isn't going to make Strawberry happy I would just let it go.

mvandor
05-21-2008, 10:13 AM
What exactly in Straw's drug/alcohol riddled past makes anyone think he's a reliable source on anything including this question? Suave's criminal error was trusting a guy he shoulfn't have trusted, it appears.

RobSteinmetz
05-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Did anyone else receive the email today from Grey Flannel that pictured Strawberry's 1986 World Series ring that is available for immediate sale (at $57,500)? I also recall seeing his '86 World Series trophy in an auction not long ago. Despite what he's saying, it's pretty clear that Darryl sold off all his championship momentos.

metsbats
05-22-2008, 01:13 PM
A couple of years ago B&E had one of Darryl's Silver Slugger awards from the late 80's on ebay. It didn't reach the reserve and I believe subsequently sold in a large auction house.

So he 's evidently sold at least one of his non-WS awards.

I wonder if he still has his 1983 ROY plaque?

Perhaps he is raising funds to pay the IRS all the back taxes he owes as it was reported in Feb 2008 he owes ~ 430K.

-David

metsbats
05-22-2008, 01:15 PM
To answer your original question Rob, I didn't get this email. GF knows I don't have that kind of loose change :D

metsbats
05-22-2008, 01:23 PM
I stand corrected. It was in my email.

Here's a photo of the ring for those with that kind of loose change.

-David