PDA

View Full Version : batting helmets

momen55
05-18-2008, 05:26 PM
batting helmets have been around since the mid 50's. helmets are one of my favorite to collect.
sometimes i wonder what has happened to them over the past 50 plus years? alot of helmets have been used since then but not many surface.
did they get recycled, destroyed, given away, etc? i see more "modern" helmets that old ones, referring to ones from the 70's to mid 80's.
i would love to add a few to my collection, but they are far few in between.
anyone feel free to add to this; i would love to hear, a read, your input. it will be interesting to see what others have to say.

shoremen44
05-18-2008, 07:50 PM
I am realatively new to collecting, and have a nice group of game used bats, but I have been looking for batting helmets, and you are right they are few and far bewteen... even modern ones...

I have been on a search for Orioles game used helmats and have come up pretty bare.

Fnazxc0114
05-18-2008, 09:49 PM
I too would love to get my hands on some texas rangers helmets but they seem to never appear in the secondary market. i wonder if they just pass them down to the minors like they used to do with the jersey's?

momen55
05-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Fnazxc0114;
take a look at the thread about game used helmets, it's a few below this one. i have some posted along with a rangers flapless. look at it and let me know what you think.

skyking26
05-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Helmets are one of the toughest items to obtain maybe next to a GU glove. In many cases you almost have to know a player personally to have the opportunity to obtain things of this nature. Players are know to keep helmets and gloves for "years."

I was lucky enough to obtain both regarding my favorite player. Doubtful I would ever give them up. Next time you are watching a Bosox game - look at Manny's helmet, or a Chisox game - look at Thome's. Both are caked in tar and probably were the ones issued originally.

RK

suave1477
05-19-2008, 11:17 AM
I have a few Batting Helmets.

Yankees
Kenny Lofton
Ruben Sierra
Tony Clark
Homer Bush

Mets
2 common players
Lastings Milledge - Mets Triple AAA
Sal Butera - Mets Triple AAA (Top Catching Prospect)

skipcarayislegend
05-19-2008, 12:02 PM
They've been my favorite since day one and I really couldn't give you a good reason why. I've just always loved them. I have about 50 now. All ABC, major league, single flap or flapless from the 70s, 80s, 90s to current. I think about 20 or so are photo-matched.

As much as I love collecting helmets, I'll be the first to admit that authenticating them can be extremely difficult. Unlike football lids, batting helmets don't have any parts; just some padding and maybe an interior sticker or two. And until recently many teams weren't consistent in how they marked them; i.e., with exterior numerals, dymo tape, script, etc. Depending on the team, like the Yankees for example, you might've seen five or six or more variations in numeral type alone in the same dugout. You also have to deal with other inconstancies as well. I once owned both of Mark Teixeira's rookie Rangers helmets from '03 and not only were the shell colors different, each also had a different size logo. Both were photo matched, btw. Then you have ones that were made in, say, 1993, but weren't issued until 1998. Happens all the time. I've seen mint helmets from the 80s being sold in the Braves clubhouse store only a year ago. The whole "homework" thing is really a must here.

Like anything else many times you'll get lucky and spot some things that definitely shouldn't be there, like dymo taped names on any Braves helmet or uniform numerals on post 90 Giants helmets, etc. The worst part about collecting them is knowing how easy it is for anyone to fake a helmet. There's virtually nothing special about the helmets themselves or the numbers used to mark them. For that reason alone I've gotten comfortable pursuing the helmets of guys that aren't that special. Maybe 10 of the ones I have would be considered a "star" helmet, but I'm cool with it because I never have to worry about whether what I own is legit or not.

momen55
05-19-2008, 02:02 PM
skip;
will you email me pics of you helmets? i would love to see what you have. i posted some of mine in the game used helmets thread. atownmac70@yahoo.com. thanks.

skipcarayislegend
05-20-2008, 08:17 AM
skip;
will you email me pics of you helmets? i would love to see what you have. i posted some of mine in the game used helmets thread. atownmac70@yahoo.com. thanks.

Yeah, no problem. E-mail sent.

shoremen44
05-20-2008, 08:34 AM
Skip... if you are ever interested in selling or trading any let me know.

bmagladry@jacuzzi.com

thanks

lnfogel@aol.com
05-21-2008, 06:13 PM
I own some mets helmets including Tom Seaver and Cleon Jones from the 70's.
Andy

skyking26
05-22-2008, 08:47 AM
I am the proud owner of 3 Dave Kingman batting helmets: 71-74 Giants, 81-83 Mets, 87 Firebirds...