PDA

View Full Version : Red Diablo Bats banned?

godwulf
05-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I spoke with Eric Byrnes this morning, while I was having him sign one of his red Diablo bats that I picked up at the ballpark the other night. I asked whether he was still using them, because it looked to me like he'd been using something else recently, and he told me that he was still using Diablos, but that the umpiring crew had recently told him that the red bats were "an unauthorized color", and wouldn't let him use them. I knew, of course, that there were approved bat makers, but...approved colors?

Lokee
05-17-2008, 04:56 PM
If they can use pink bats why can't they use red bats ?

kylehess10
05-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Does this include the LS M9 model O69 bats that many players use? I know for a fact I've seen Edgar Renteria using that model this year, and it's red

earlywynnfan
05-17-2008, 07:13 PM
I remember years ago Jose Canseco tried to bat with a green bat, but the umps wouldn't let him.

The pink bats are MLB approved and for a cause. If we could get a big enough push for a plaid charity, then maybe MLB would allow plaid bats.

Ken

godwulf
05-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Does this include the LS M9 model O69 bats that many players use? I know for a fact I've seen Edgar Renteria using that model this year, and it's red

Actually, this red Diablo bat is quite a bit redder than any LS I've seen. I mean, it's not, like, fire engine red or anything, but it's pretty red. Not that that would explain or justify its being banned, of course.

Oddly, the same night that I picked this bat up at the ballpark (at their nightly charity auction) I also got another bat, the color of which I've never seen, either. It's a Mark Reynolds Old Hickory bat, with a natural handle and a barrel that is a very odd shade of dark gray. I've never seen anything like it.

stlbats
05-17-2008, 11:41 PM
There are approved colors. I remember seeing an article last year about the pink bats, it said that they were only approved for one day and that was it. The announcers were talking about a players going 4-4 or something and wanting to keep using the pink bat and MLB said no, only for the one day.

Jason

BMH
05-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Technically the only approved colors are clear, black, brown and Walker. Over the years we and other companies have used different combinations of these colors to come up with new finishes.

The Diablo red is much brighter than our Galen/wine color. That is the same red the Japanese wouldn't let Manny swing in Japan. As of right now it's just Diablol, though we've had one EM call to say he was pulling everyone's red bats from the clubhouse.